[comp.sys.amiga] Will Amiga survive

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (08/29/89)

In article <1989Aug29.041045.25405@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> bralick@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (William Anthony Bralick) writes:
>In article <43903@tiger.oxy.edu> dand@oxy.edu (Daniel D. Fineman) writes:
>>
>>Question: will the Amy survive?
>
>Any truth to the rumors that HP is looking to acquire the Amiga as a
>low-end workstation to complement their (newly acquired) Apollo
>models?

Close, actually HP is looking to aquire the Amiga as a high end workstation
to migrate to as they phase out the Apollo line 8-).  With an Amiga2000,
a 25 MHz 68030 board, the Ameristar Ethernet, full 9 meg memory, the ECS
chip set, v1.4 operating system, and a good 19 inch 1280x800 monitor you
can easily outperform most of the Apollo line.

What missing from the picture you say?  Oh well, it doesn't have an EDSI drive
controlloer for those 320 Mbyte drives.  Virtual memory would be nice.  We
need memory boards that work outside the 9Mbyte base machine limit of the
Amiga (Our Apollo server uses 32 Mbyte completely.)  And damn, why are there
still no readily available tape drives with software support for the Amiga?

BTW.  I use the Apollos at work, I would prefer an Amiga.  But I doubt if
VTItools will ever port their ASIC development tools.  The Amiga still has
some growing up to do before it would be a serious competitor to the Apollo.

--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
\  *        *             *  *******  /  computer that is not IBM compatible.