[comp.sys.amiga] Help w/ Excellence & Postscript

mf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Douglas Fischer) (08/29/89)

Is there any way I can use any fonts other than the three included with
Excellence! on my postscript printer? (and have laser-quality output).
I mean fonts that my printer has but Excellence doesn't. I *assume* all I
need is a compatible ".metric" file in my fonts directory, like pTimes and
the others have, but I have no idea what goes into one of these files.
For example, would it be possible to use the Times font that came with
Workbench 1.3 with excellence! and have the Postscript printer print it
correctly? Mainly, I don't like the amiga version of pTimes that came
with excellence! and want to replace it with something. Any ideas?
Thanks...
    --MIke

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (08/29/89)

In article <oYye3P200WB58V5EQN@andrew.cmu.edu> mf2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Douglas Fischer) writes:
>Is there any way I can use any fonts other than the three included with
>Excellence! on my postscript printer? (and have laser-quality output).
[...]
>Thanks...
>    --MIke

Not to change the subject too much, but with ProWrite/ProScript, you
just need the metric file which corresponds to the Amiga font you are
using (you can also substitute fonts).

ProWrite comes with several Postscript fonts & the interesting thing is
that they look pretty cruddy on a non-Postscript printer but turn out
great with ProScript.  Conversely, the Commodore-supplied Postscript
fonts look great in graphic printers, but terrible in Postscript using
the ProWrite-supplied metric.

Luckily the font sizes supplied by ProWrite are different than those
supplied by Commodore so they can coexist in the same font directory.

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"