[comp.sys.amiga] EMACS editors

dean.gaudet@canremote.uucp (DEAN GAUDET) (08/27/89)

I've decided it's about time that I learn an editor that is portable (or
ported to other platforms often).  I'm tired of learning a new editor
each and every time I switch to a new OS.  (Sound familiar?)  EMACS
appears to be the winner.  But, there are a few flavours of EMACS for
the Amiga... I need help deciding which one is best for me.

Here's what I'd like:  (I can program - so given the source, I could add
things which are missing)

- support for aux: -like devices (ie: able to run from remote terminal)
- macro interpreter (just in case)
- Arexx interface (nice - but not necessary if has its own macro lang)
- support for Amiga, PC, VMS, and various Unix-alikes.
- source code

I currently have MicroEMACS 3.10 (the new one), and mg2a (any newer
versions out there?).  I've been fooling around with MicroEMACS more
than with mg2a.  It doesn't have aux: support, but doesn't look
difficult to add.  (If I can ever get the Aztec code to compile under
Lattice... :().

Please - no replies refering me to UEdit, CygnusEd, or other
Amiga-specific editor UNLESS they can do the above as well :).

If it makes the net happier, reply directly to me and I'll summarize.

Thanks in advance.

Dean Gaudet
UUCP: dean.gaudet@canremote.uucp  BITNET: dgaudet@uncamult
Phone: (416) 791-8614             "Shad lives!"
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1aR

In article <89082723054818@masnet.uucp> (DEAN GAUDET) writes:
>Here's what I'd like:  (I can program - so given the source, I could add
>things which are missing)
>
>- support for aux: -like devices (ie: able to run from remote terminal)

This is fairly easy to put into MicroEMACS, what isn't there yet is the
ability to switch between terminals "on the fly" so to speak. You can
see that this is the direction Dan is heading, since all of the terminal
specific routines are put into one capabilities vector, all that is
required is a selection mechanisim for the terminal type. In the meantime
it's probably easier to compile a separate version with the aux: handling
code built into it. And run that when you are on the serial line.

>- macro interpreter (just in case)

It's got this, I haven't used it extensively.

>- Arexx interface (nice - but not necessary if has its own macro lang)

I'm adding this and that code will be available sometime, probably this
year. I'd like to get Dan's ok on how to implement ARexx type commands
on the input stream so that other systems could use the same mechanism.

>- support for Amiga, PC, VMS, and various Unix-alikes.

This it has, although as you have noticed, you can't compile the code
with Lattice and have it work out of the box. The bug has to be in the
Amigados.c code because after I replaced that with my own code it worked
fine.

>- source code

That's easy, you already have the source :-)

There is another interesting question that could use answering. Emacs
supports user specifyable colors. (two) One foreground and one background.
Now on the Amiga you can do this with a one bitplane screen, you just set
the color map for colors 0 and 1 appropriately depending on the command.
Now the question remains, what exactly is the behaviour of the screen
when you set the foreground and background colors ? Can the top half
have one pair of characters and the bottom half another? If so one would
have to do a wee bit of copper magic to support that (although it is pretty
easy copper magic, acolyte level spell) Anyone have a preference?

Any it is an interesting program to hack, this is quite true.

--Chuck McManis
"If I were driving a Macintosh, I'd have to stop before I could turn the wheel."