[comp.sys.amiga] IFF2PICT

wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) (08/21/89)

I'm sorry to bring this up again, but until now, my efforts were
fruitless:

Has anybody got a program to convert IFF files to Mac II PICT2 format?
A while ago, somebody wrote about some sort of a library that would
beside IFF2PICT also do IFF to TARGA.
IFF to TARGA would also be a solution for my problem.

Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com
"Justice is the possession and doing
of what one is entitled to"  -  Platon

dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (Stephen Datkowitz) (08/25/89)

Network Comment: to #3221 by wizard@sosaria.UUCP

I'm working on a SIMILAR problem, IFF to MacPaint or Tif. MacView was supposed
to convert between them but the version I have will not. Maybe encapsulated
PostScript?

 ProLine: pro-generic!pro-graphics!loginID              | Pro-Graphics  24hrs
    UUCP: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!pro-graphics!loginID | 201/469-0049 3/12/24
ARPA/DDN: crash!pnet01!pro-generic!pro-graphics!loginID@nosc.mil

roadman@portia.Stanford.EDU (arthur walker) (08/25/89)

In article <263@crash.cts.com>, dak@pro-graphics.cts.com (Stephen Datkowitz) writes:
> I'm working on a SIMILAR problem, IFF to MacPaint or Tif. MacView was supposed
> to convert between them but the version I have will not. Maybe encapsulated
> PostScript?

Hate to say it, but the porduct runs on MS-DOS.  It's called HIJAAK from
Inset systems, 800-828-8088.  Transfers between about a billion IBM grph
formats, plus macpaint, plus what sounds like a pretty comprehensive set
of IFF graphics.  The guy I talked to said they were serious about porting
to the amiga.  Anyway, sounds to me like you use DOS2DOS or MSDOSFS to put
IFF into MSDOS format, then run HIJAAK on your PC or bridge to put into
macpaint, then kermit or xmodem or superdrive or COPY2PC deluxe option board
to HFS format.

Hey, if you want it on the amiga, buy the PC version and give them a piece
of your mind.

By the way, Inset is also advertising an amiga  SCANNERY
package for use with the
HP scanjet or +.  Uses a custom cable to the parallel port rather than
the external SCSI box used with macintosh installations.  Has Arexx port,
etc.

These people seem to be able to respond fairly quickly to market
opportunities.  For instance, they are selling a customized bundle of
HIJAAK and GO-SCRIPT, the PC-bound PS clone interpreter.  this bundle
rasterizes input PS code at 196 DPI and sends out a fax modem.  Result:
bean counters end up with figures that don't have horrible aliasing
artifacts.  Of course the 2 constituents have full standalone functionality
as well.  No discount, but no extra cost above the two bought separately.

Of course this could be done with pixelscript and some sort of external
fax modem though.....at least, I hope so.  Comments?

disclaimer:  I don't work for them, I don't have any of their products.

art walker
roadman@portia.stanford.edu

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (System Administrator) (08/28/89)

Network Comment: to #3221 by wizard@sosaria.UUCP

> Has anybody got a program to convert IFF files to Mac II PICT2 format?
> A while ago, somebody wrote about some sort of a library that would
> beside IFF2PICT also do IFF to TARGA.
> IFF to TARGA would also be a solution for my problem.

If you are interested in a VERY good converter program that does IFF, GIF,
TARGA and many others, please send mail to troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com.  He has
put together a very *FAST* converter that will handle everything you are
talking about and more.  He can give you more details on it.

As for IFF -> TARGA, isn't that a bit strange..it's going to be a bit
difficult to change say a 6 or 12 bit image into a 16 bit image and I don't
even know why you would want to.  We've mostly concentrated on moving images
the OTHER way around.  Seems more useful to use a TARGA capture in a Turbo
Silver or some other package as a map then to move TO a TARGA.  At any rate,
this program will also take 24 bit images rendered in Sculpt or Turbo and
convert them directly to TARGA, ICB or VISTA images.  Quite impressive.  You
should see some of the Sculpt scenes rendered to 24 bit files and converted to
the TARGA.  Quite awesome!

> Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com
> "Justice is the possession and doing
> of what one is entitled to"  -  Platon

-- Bob
_________________________ Pro-Graphics  201/469-0049 __________________________

    UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!bobl             |      ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
InterNet: crash!bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com     |       CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil    |    AppleLink: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) (08/30/89)

In message <278@crash.cts.com> Bob ?? wrote:

>TARGA and many others, please send mail to troyb@pro-graphics.cts.com.  He has
>put together a very *FAST* converter that will handle everything you are
>talking about and more.  He can give you more details on it.

TNX 1E07!

>As for IFF -> TARGA, isn't that a bit strange..it's going to be a bit
>difficult to change say a 6 or 12 bit image into a 16 bit image and I don't
>even know why you would want to.  We've mostly concentrated on moving images

Well, the answer is simple. Look, we've got a slidewriter that can be
fed with either TARGA, HPGL or LL files.
Now, to convert an IFF-file either to HPGL or to LL is, say, rather
difficult :-), so all we could do is to convert it to TARGA and then send
it to the slidewriter....