[comp.sys.amiga] DeskJet Plus Drivers?

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (08/22/89)

I'm the proud new owner of an HP DeskJet Plus printer and I think I'll be
pleased with it.  I find though that the Preferences driver for the
DeskJet (no plus) doesn't support the new features of the plus, specifically
the faster graphics performance, and the latest, greatest proportionally
spaced Times Roman Softfonts.

If anyone has news of a driver for the DeskJet Plus that is available or
underway, I'd be pleased if you sent me email.

I'll check with WordPerfect Corp. regarding the availability of a driver for
WP 4.1, but if someone has information regarding one of those, please
email me as well.

I expect to get a lot of use from the DJ+ printing Postscript output from
Professional Page via Printscript, as well as AmigaTeX output of some math,
and plain old text from WordPerfect.

I recall something about a freely distributable DeskJet driver called
"betterjet" flying past me here on the net.  I assume it's not specifically
for the Plus, but may be worth having in any case.  Could anyone point
me to its wherabouts?  I failed to find a beast with such a name in a quick
search of bix, the fish (Thanks Fred) library or comp.sources/binaries.

Come on, there must be somebody who wants a DJ+ driver more than me who'll
write one before I do right? :-)  I'll buy you a net beer (use your
imagination).

--
Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)
hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor

tj@shawnee.cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R. Johnson) (08/24/89)

<
< If anyone has news of a driver for the DeskJet Plus that is available or
< underway, I'd be pleased if you sent me email.
<
< I expect to get a lot of use from the DJ+ printing Postscript output from
< Professional Page via Printscript, as well as AmigaTeX output of some math,
					        ^^^^^^^^

	I just started playing with the dvi driver family from
science.utah.edu.  This includes drivers for the HP LaserJet and LJ+.
If these aren't directly compatible with the DeskJet, I'm sure it
wouldn't be too hard to modify one.  After only a few days, I
succeeded in modifying the Imagewriter driver to work for a C-Itoh
8510.  The bulk of the driver code is independent of the specific
device.  Very few changes were required to get the code to compile
under Lattice 5.0.2.

	If enough people are interested, I can make this available for
anonymous ftp.  The code is not completely ported yet --- I still need
to get virtual fonts option working.  The virtual font code uses fstat
which is not a Lattice supplied function.  If anyone has an Amiga
version of fstat, I'd appreciate a copy.

	---Todd

-=-

	---Todd
	tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (08/30/89)

In article <58403@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R. Johnson <tj@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
>	I just started playing with the dvi driver family from
>science.utah.edu.  This includes drivers for the HP LaserJet and LJ+.
>If these aren't directly compatible with the DeskJet, I'm sure it
>wouldn't be too hard to modify one.  After only a few days, I

I'm not so sure this is straightforward.  First of all, the LJ+ driver
(dvijep) works by downloading fonts.  Deskjet fonts are not compatible
(Grr...), and there isn't enough RAM in a stock Deskjet or Plus
anyway.  So you're left with buying a ram cartridge (and probably still
being limited anyway, I think it's only 128K) and modifying the fonts,
or doing it as a bitmap.  I seem to remember that the Laserjet driver
(dvijet) for the original Laserjet worked in bitmap mode and was
limited to 100dpi or something like that.  (This may have only been the
DOS version, since that's what I have.)

Anyway, I'm sure it's possible, but I don't think it'll be as easy as it
might appear at first.

Of course, the easiest solution is just to buy Radical Eye Software's
dviddj.  :-)

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (08/30/89)

In article <19353@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
   >In article <58403@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> Todd R. Johnson <tj@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:
   >I'm not so sure this is straightforward.  First of all, the LJ+ driver
   >(dvijep) works by downloading fonts.  Deskjet fonts are not compatible
   >(Grr...), and there isn't enough RAM in a stock Deskjet or Plus

Softfonts are softfonts aren't they?  The only difference is the ESCape
sequence that downloads them and the limitations of printer memory.
Then again, if your ``fonts'' already contain those ESCape sequences
then you may be SOL.   I'm just now learning about downloading fonts
to my DJ+ so maybe I can comment more fully afterward.

   >anyway.  So you're left with buying a ram cartridge (and probably still
   >being limited anyway, I think it's only 128K) and modifying the fonts,

Just the facts, ma'am.... :-}

First off, there is no RAM in a stock DeskJet PLUS for downloading fonts.
The 16K that's in there is strictly buffer space.  I believe that the lack
of memory partitioned for softfonts on the original DJ was one of it's
problems.  A new feature of the PLUS is the ability to handle much more
memory.  You can put in a old 128K cartridge but I'm sitting here with a 256K
in my PLUS and I can add another one to fill the second slot.  A lot of fonts
can fit into a 1/2-Meg of memory.  Still, other than the graphics and the
font downloading and cartridges, etc the Desk and DeskPLUS is fairly
compatible with it's bigger brothers, the Lasers.

   >or doing it as a bitmap.  I seem to remember that the Laserjet driver
   >(dvijet) for the original Laserjet worked in bitmap mode and was
   >limited to 100dpi or something like that.  (This may have only been the
   >DOS version, since that's what I have.)

Aye, the original LJ couldn't download fonts although I'm not sure about
that 100-dpi though.

   >Anyway, I'm sure it's possible, but I don't think it'll be as easy as it
   >might appear at first.

Depends on how accustommed you are to working with fonts and bitmaps.

   >Of course, the easiest solution is just to buy Radical Eye Software's
   >dviddj.  :-)

True.  Add me to the list of very satisfied RES customers!   I don't know
much TeX now but I am learning.  The previewer is the real godsend!

				-Rusty-

<Corrections and omissions cheerfully accepted>

--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"