[comp.sys.amiga] Neptune Art

mjw@sequent.UUCP (Michael Waugh) (08/29/89)

I would like to get some of the latest photos of the Voyager
flyby to display on my 1000.  Any space art would be good to find.
There must be some electronic photos floating around on the net
somewhere. Where do you find these and what special programs do
you need to display them?  Is there a program to convert FITTS
format to IFF? How come I never see any art stuff posted in
the binaries? Is there any interest in computer art on the net?

Thanks

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (08/29/89)

In article <20838@sequent.UUCP> mjw@sequent.UUCP (Michael Waugh) writes:
>I would like to get some of the latest photos of the Voyager
>flyby to display on my 1000.  Any space art would be good to find.
>There must be some electronic photos floating around on the net
>somewhere. Where do you find these and what special programs do
>you need to display them?  Is there a program to convert FITTS
>format to IFF? How come I never see any art stuff posted in
>the binaries? Is there any interest in computer art on the net?

Check out the sci.space newsgroup; there has been a *LOT* of discussion on
the Voyager II flyby, and there was one or two FTP sources of digitized
photos given there recently, although they were either Sun Raster format or
Encapsulated PostScript, if my memory serves me correctly.  But then, I
believe we have ways of converting these to IFF or GIF.

If you, or anyone else, has any Voyager pictures out there, please post where
you are.  I can't ftp from the machine I'm on, but I have occasional access
to a machine that does, and I'll be checking out the sources that were
mentioned in sci.space, and let you know what I find out (for the record, the
one with the EPS files is hanauma.stanford.edu, with the files in
pub/neptune).

Good luck!
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
       (mikes@lakesys.lakesys.com  OR  ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes)

mab@druwy.ATT.COM (Alan Bland) (08/30/89)

In article <1018@lakesys.UUCP> mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) writes:
>In article <20838@sequent.UUCP> mjw@sequent.UUCP (Michael Waugh) writes:
>>I would like to get some of the latest photos of the Voyager
>>flyby to display on my 1000.  Any space art would be good to find.
>Check out the sci.space newsgroup; there has been a *LOT* of discussion on
>the Voyager II flyby, and there was one or two FTP sources of digitized
>photos given there recently, although they were either Sun Raster format or
>Encapsulated PostScript, if my memory serves me correctly.  But then, I
>believe we have ways of converting these to IFF or GIF.

There have been several IFF images from Voyager uploaded to People Link
recently.  I haven't downloaded them, but perhaps someone who has could
post them to Usenet for all the world to share (Harv?).
--
-- Alan Bland
-- att!druwy!mab or mab@druwy.ATT.COM

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (08/31/89)

In article <20838@sequent.UUCP> mjw@sequent.UUCP (Michael Waugh) writes:
>I would like to get some of the latest photos of the Voyager
>flyby to display on my 1000.  Any space art would be good to find.

     Yes! An anim of neptune rotating would be AWESOME!!!

     Maybe someone could find or make such an anim and mail it to Fred Fish???

     Don White
     Box 271177 Concord CA. 94527-1177
     zehntel!donw