[comp.sys.amiga] Falcon Upgrade

raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) (08/24/89)

	I just read about someone selling Falcon with an upgrade, but I
accidentally deleted the note.  Has anybody gotten an upgrade for Falcon,
and if so, what is the upgrade?

Russell

felixc@mtgzy.att.com (Felix Cabral) (08/24/89)

In article <5167@alvin.mcnc.org> raw@mcnc.org (Russell Williams) writes:

>	I just read about someone selling Falcon with an upgrade, but I
>accidentally deleted the note.  Has anybody gotten an upgrade for Falcon,
>and if so, what is the upgrade?

>Russell

I guess you're talking about me. It has been sold. The upgrade is available to
registered owners for $24.95. It includes the following:

	NEW FEATURES:

	- 12 differente missions
	- 4 moving enemy viehicles (tanks,trains,amphibious crafts,trucks)
	- Stationary tragets (power station,oil refinery,factory and bridges)
	- Secondary explosions
	- Enemy mig-29's
	- New terrain

	IMPROVEMENTS:

	- Hard drive install;68020/68030 compatibility; workbench bootable
	- Can land damaged plane, migs breakoff attack during landings
	- Improved flight controls
	- Ground targets inoperable for 5 missions once destroyed
	- Missions completed displayed on ribbon earned
	- Aspect angle on radar reflects current F16 avionics
	- Easier to black/red out at higher ranks
	- SAMs launch according to chosen rank
	- Enhanced graphics of damaged buildings

--
Felix Cabral		{felixc@mtgzy.att.com}      "Just give me a rad
AT&T Bell Labs		{	  or         }       wave, a rad board and

daq@hpfcso.HP.COM (Doug Quarnstrom) (08/26/89)

The Upgrade is pretty fun.  Flying the plane is easier because of
the auto leveling feature.  I still crash about 80% of the time
on landing.  Can anyone suggest how to improve this.  Landing seems to
be a bit easier on the upgrade, but still hard enough to be extremely
annoying.

On the whole, I would say the upgrade is worth having just because
of the moving targets and the fact that it is more of a strategy
game.  You are actually fighthing to keep the enemy from over
running your air base, and you try to do this by destroying their
weapons and their industrial capacity.

Now if I could only land the damned plane.

Doug Quarnstrom

dean@coplex.UUCP (Dean Brooks) (08/28/89)

daq@hpfcso.HP.COM (Doug Quarnstrom) writes:

>The Upgrade is pretty fun.  Flying the plane is easier because of
>the auto leveling feature.  I still crash about 80% of the time
>on landing.  Can anyone suggest how to improve this.  Landing seems to
>be a bit easier on the upgrade, but still hard enough to be extremely
>annoying.

   Landing in the upgrade seems to be much easier in the upgrade than it
was in the original release.  However, it seems that I am able to get a
good landing about 80% of the time now.  The manual gives some pointers
but isn't very descriptive of the entire landing process.

Below are the main things I do that usually guarantee a safe landing:

  1)  On the final approach, make sure you are straight and level.  If you
         land while banking, you won't live to tell about it.

  2)  Drop airspeed until it is between 100 and 150 knots.  If you go faster
         than 150 knots, your landing gear will fail (Resulting in a sore
         neck).  If you go slower than 100 knots, prepare for a nose dive.

  3)  Make SURE that your flight ladder is not less than about -8 degrees.
         When I am right about to touch down, I usually bring the flight
         ladder to around -2 to -3 degrees.  According to the manual you
         can touch down with a ladder of about -8, but -5 seems to be
         more realisitic.

   4)  The manual also suggests that your AOA (Angle of Attack) is between
         8 and 13 degrees.  Hell if I can read that damn indicator though.

   5)  Make sure that landing gear is down!  (-8

   6)  As soon as you touch down, hit those brakes or you may bounce back
         up off the ground, resulting in possible death or court-martial.

					Hope it helps...

--
dean@coplex.UUCP   Dean A. Brooks
                   Copper Electronics, Inc.

tknight@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (T.Knight - Computing Services) (08/29/89)

In article <9010001@hpfcso.HP.COM>, daq@hpfcso.HP.COM (Doug Quarnstrom) writes:
> The Upgrade is pretty fun.  Flying the plane is easier because of
> the auto leveling feature.  I still crash about 80% of the time
> on landing.  Can anyone suggest how to improve this.  Landing seems to
> be a bit easier on the upgrade, but still hard enough to be extremely
> annoying.

    Speaking about landing, I'm ready to throw disks, manuals, joystick, ...
I can land just about every time on captain level but on Major I think I've
landed 10 times out of 200 or more tries. Anyone out there able to land
with some regularity. Could you please give me some tips.

ken@cbmvax.UUCP (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (08/31/89)

In article <6261@watdcsu.waterloo.edu> tknight@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (T.Knight - Computing Services) writes:
>In article <9010001@hpfcso.HP.COM>, daq@hpfcso.HP.COM (Doug Quarnstrom) writes:
>> The Upgrade is pretty fun.  Flying the plane is easier because of
>> the auto leveling feature.  I still crash about 80% of the time
>> on landing.  Can anyone suggest how to improve this.  Landing seems to
>> be a bit easier on the upgrade, but still hard enough to be extremely
>> annoying.
>
>    Speaking about landing, I'm ready to throw disks, manuals, joystick, ...
>I can land just about every time on captain level but on Major I think I've
>landed 10 times out of 200 or more tries. Anyone out there able to land
>with some regularity. Could you please give me some tips.

What, you want to land the plane too?

I'm using the 'old' version, and (flying at major level), tend to
land about half the time.  The only secrets that I know are:

1)  use a long approach.
2)  come in well below the ILS beam - it is too high!
3)  don't use breaks or flaps, control speed with the power
    and the angle of the plane.  You have to adjust the power
    a lot during approach.
4)  keep your speed between 100 and 150, angle about -10 to -15.
5)  at about 150 feet bring the angle up to between -5 and 0.
    even if you point the nose up slightly, the plane will come down
    slowly.  bring up the power to keep your speed up.  watch the
    digital altitude indicator to get exact height.  00000 = runway.
6)  pray that you don't run out of runway.
7)  try not to be overloaded when you land - use up a lot of fuel
    and weapons during your flight.
8)  give up often and go around for another try--don't land if it
    does not look right!
9)  put the breaks and flaps on and cut power as soon as you hit the
    runway.  I don't use the wheel breaks, every time I do I die.

                    --good luck--

   -ken.

Ken Farinsky -- CATS               Commodore Business Machines
PHONE 215-431-9421         UUCP  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken