[comp.sys.amiga] AppleTalk

es2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edwin T. Smith) (02/16/89)

Ok, I don't know if this conversation has happened already here, but here goes:

  APPLETALK on the amiga: Can it be done?  If so, has it?

I understand that the computer interface to the net is RS-422.  In that case,
is it possible to modify -232 signals for -422?  Will ASDG's IO board
be supporting rs-422?  Any comments and suggestions are welcome here
or to me privately.

- Ed      (Ed Smith: es2e+@andrew.cmu.edu)

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (02/17/89)

Converting RS-422 to RS-232 is no problem, there are numerous chips which
can be used for this purpose. However, there are a few other problems,
such as, what speed does Appletalk run at, and where can you get detailed
info on the protocol it uses ? I've heard of a book called "Inside
Appletalk" or somethink like that, but I've checked everywhere I can think
of and I don't know how to get a copy. In general I don't think this would
be a really difficult project.
Steve Ludtke
stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu              ..!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!stevel
stevel@citiago  (Bitnet)               OBS949     (Amer PPl lnk)
72335,1537      (Compuserve)           XJM16487   (Genie)

deraadt@xenlink.UUCP (Theo A. DeRaadt) (02/18/89)

In article <9597@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu>, stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes:
> Converting RS-422 to RS-232 is no problem, there are numerous chips which
> can be used for this purpose. However, there are a few other problems,
> such as, what speed does Appletalk run at, and where can you get detailed
> info on the protocol it uses ? I've heard of a book called "Inside
> Appletalk" or somethink like that, but I've checked everywhere I can think
> of and I don't know how to get a copy. In general I don't think this would
> be a really difficult project.
Appletalk runs at about 28Kbaud I guess. The best chip to use for it is
the Zilog 8530 (or 8030 - same chip, different bus). This was actually
discussed previously here, the easiest way to do it is the write an
Appletalk little box which sits of an Amiga serial port, that way everyone
can use it.
Well, if I had docs on Appletalk..... (ie. I've got the hardware
(8031/eprom/ram/8530) but don't know how to setup the chips for Appletalk,
or the Appletalk framing works... hint hint.. send me docs!)
 <tdr.

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (03/04/89)

From article <EXyYHxy00WB-0DCm57@andrew.cmu.edu:, by es2e+@andrew.cmu.edu (Edwin T. Smith):
:
: I understand that the computer interface to the net is RS-422.  In that case,
: is it possible to modify -232 signals for -422?  Will ASDG's IO board
: be supporting rs-422?  Any comments and suggestions are welcome here
: or to me privately.

	I don't want to spend too much time on the net with possibly commercial
type messages, but Creative Microsystems is announcing a multiport card at
AmiEXPO this weekend. There is one parallel port, one serial (RS-232) port
and one Appletalk (RS-422) port. In conjunction with this, there is Appletalk
software also... After Rich and Mark get back from the show, I'll try to post
the flier on the card.

: - Ed      (Ed Smith: es2e+@andrew.cmu.edu)
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey

giguere@aries5 (Eric Giguere) (08/31/89)

I'd like to know if there exists any support out there for an AppleTalk
environment on the Amiga.  This includes hardware and software (the hardware
could be either LocalTalk- or Ethernet-based).

Please respond by email, I'll post a summary if anyone is interested.

Eric Giguere                                  268 Phillip St #CL-46
For the curious: it's French ("jee-gair")     Waterloo, Ontario  N2L 6G9
Bitnet  : GIGUERE at WATCSG                   (519) 746-6565
Internet: giguere@aries5.UWaterloo.ca         "Nothing but urges from HELL!!"