[comp.sys.amiga] some comments overheard at local computer show

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (08/29/89)

This is NOT a flame, I repeat, NOT a flame, nor is it meant
to cast any dispersions on Commodore, just thought I would pass
on some comments received this weekend.

The Dayton, Ohio ComputerFest was held this past weekend (it was
actually larger than AmiExpo Chicago (no joke intended).  4 of the
local user groups (Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati, and Wright Patterson
Air Force Base) joined forces and put on a massive display involving
one whole wall (10 tables) of Amigas and related items.  While
demoing Deluxe Music for the umpteenth (I never want to hear Back
in Black again :-)) I overheard, or was the direct recipient, of
the following comments;

"Amiga, what's that? Who makes it?"

"Amiga?  How long has that been out?"

"Commodore Amiga?  It is an impressive looking machine, why doesn't
Commodore advertise it?"

"Amiga, oh, that's one of those game machines."

"Graphics, big deal, my IBM can do that." to which I replied, "But
for how much and what special hardware."

while demoing Photon Paint II,

"Therre is no way to get more that 64 colors on the screen at one time."
(explain about HAM mode) "Oh, so you need a special monitor" (no)
"Well why have I never heard of this thing."

"This is one of the most fantastic things I have ever seen" (of course
I whole heartedly agreed).

All in all, it was a good show, I think we spread the word to quite a few
people (first days attendance broke all records - show has been going on
for a long time), plus we gave the other groups (Mac, Atari) a run for
the roses this year.

Greg Tibbs was there with the Rejuvanator, generated lots of interest.
He is still tweaking it, but is getting very close to the final
design, if anyone is near Cincinnati, he will be at OVAUG meeting
Tuesday night with a working model.

Again, these comments are not meant to be taken in any other way other
than that in which they were given, merely being passed along, NO
flames, sarcism, or anything else intended!!!

Regards,

	George Gibeau

--
UUCP:  ucqais.uc.edu!ggibeau  BBS: (513) 721-7977  GT NODE: 006/005
US Snail-Dept of Biology ML 06, University of Cincinnati, Ohio 45221

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (08/31/89)

In article <1792@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
>This is NOT a flame, I repeat, NOT a flame, nor is it meant
>to cast any dispersions on Commodore, just thought I would pass
>on some comments received this weekend.
Well, this is a bit of a flame. After having watched C= employees on
the net, their willingness to help and their obvious ability as
engineers; after watching Paul Higginbotham's messages and seeing
a guy in marketing posting good code that others can use; after
having dealt with some very helpful people in C= service who fixed
my brother's monitor; after watching the many people who have contributed
production-quality public domain software over the last 3.5 years; after
seeing things like Arexx, WShell, amigatex, and so on, which do
things i can't do on any other machine; after 3 years of realizing
just how good a *system* the amiga really is, while watching the PC-MS/DOS
crowd crow about their kludges
   one is left with the basic impression that the amiga and its many
supporters in and out of Commodore have been ill-served by the people
at the top. We can only hope this situation will change. But the
machine, and the people who have done so much for it, are sure a lot
better than all the high-paid, high-powered execs who have done so
little. But nobody ever said life is fair, right?
ron

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (09/01/89)

In article <1792@ucqais.uc.edu>, ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:

> The Dayton, Ohio ComputerFest was held this past weekend (it was
> actually larger than AmiExpo Chicago (no joke intended).  4 of the
> local user groups (Columbus, Dayton, Cincinnati, and Wright Patterson
> Air Force Base) joined forces

It was alot like Ami-Expo - Commodore wasn't there (know that wasn't nice
was it?, I couldn't resist)

> demoing Deluxe Music for the umpteenth (I never want to hear Back
> in Black again :-))

It was probably me responisble for the Bach Toccata etc. but I don't really
remember Back in Black. What do you think Johann Sebastian would think of
hearing one of his Fugues on a Kawai K-1 or even the DX-27?

> "Commodore Amiga?  It is an impressive looking machine, why doesn't
> Commodore advertise it?"

Was this comment not expected?

> "Amiga, oh, that's one of those game machines."

Our Columbus group banned all use of games on Sunday and still had to fight
the kids off so we could show other things. (Well, there might have been
alittle AirWarrior and Falcon). One kid blasted in my ear at least 6 times
that he almost always got to level 6 on MarbleMadness, while I was losing
it on level 3. After losing on level 2, he complained of it "not being
right with a mouse" and admitted he used a keyboard on a PC. ANother kid
was there until closing on Saturday and showed up at 9:15AM Sunday to play
and the show didn't even open til 10:00.

> All in all, it was a good show, I think we spread the word to quite a few
> people (first days attendance broke all records - show has been going on
> for a long time), plus we gave the other groups (Mac, Atari) a run for
> the roses this year.

This really seems like a good way to advertise cheaply and there has to be
alot of shows around like this where it could be done. The Mac people even
with other assorted apples, didn't have more than 5 or 6 machines there and
there was maybe 8 or 10 Atari. Hardly any PC's except the misc people selling
cheap clones and big trays of PD stuff. Although I think we all had fun
and helped get the word out, it could be better organized next time.

--
"Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again                   Michael Figg
Heavy on the thirty weight!"                   DLA Systems Automation Center

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (09/01/89)

One thing I forgot to mention that impressed me was that we had a line of
about 16 amigas against the wall and it really gave the impression that
this machine is used by real people!

--

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (09/01/89)

In article <13624@super.ORG>, rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
> In article <1792@ucqais.uc.edu> ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) writes:
> >This is NOT a flame, I repeat, NOT a flame, nor is it meant
> >to cast any dispersions on Commodore, just thought I would pass
> >on some comments received this weekend.
> Well, this is a bit of a flame. After having watched C= employees on
Lots of stuff deleted.

I was afraid this would be taken in thr wrong way.  If you go to a computer
show specifically targetted at a single computer, then of course
you expect that most of the people there will have heard of the
computer star of the show (whatever it may be).  However, when you
go to a general format show, and there are ALL types of computers
there, it is interesting to see and hear the reactions/comments of folks
that have not been previously exposed to.  I was merely passing on some
of the reactions from the folks that passed by our booth (that
we DONATED all our time and equipment to show off and boast about
our wonderful machine).  I see this as a potential area of opportunity
for CBM, get exposure to folks that have not yet been exposed to it.
But again, this was not even a MINOR FLAME, just the passing along
of comments that maybe somebody would be interested in.  So please
take it in the spirit that it was meant...

George