[comp.sys.amiga] Hard disk backups

a3@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Allen) (08/29/89)

> jdp writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1501.AA1501@caleb>
>
> Org.  : is sometimes desirable
> Person: Jim Pritchett
> Note to Dave Allen:  please post or Email info on your VCR "Streamer" (???)
>                      (will it work on a 2000?)
>

>                                    Thanks,
>

> --
>
>                                         Jim Pritchett
>
>                                         UUCP:
> {attctc|texbell}!letni!caleb!jdp

Jim and others....
        I am afraid we have joined the ranks of the Toaster and a few other
projects in the RSN approach to marketing. Without going into details (which
you can get if you phone) the Streamer is on track for release in the near
future. (If I say another date I will hex it again!!) For the time being I am
taking names and addresses and phone numbers (but no orders until we have
production quantities to ship). Rather than send me mail over the net, (which
is on and off) just drop me a post card to the address below. There are about
12 Units being sent out to the better AMIGA magazines (and you know who you are
:-) before the final production run, so there will be reviews late in the year.

Sorry for taking up Net.width here but I was asked and the mail ...

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (08/30/89)

[
Feed the lineeater!  --  Hey, why don't we feed the politicians to the lineeater?
]

I am really getting tired of trying to backup 40 Megabytes of data to 880K
floppies.  This is really a pain!

What are the best options (now or RSN, but not too far away!) for backing up
hard drives.  I have an A2090, so I really wish that someone would provide
a way to use a tape drive with it.  However, CBM so far has NOT provided a way
to do that yet.  What are the net.folks doing about this problem?  Surely there
are better backup media available.  I've heard that C-Ltd has a 10 Meg floppy
that would probably be acceptable for backups.  Is anyone out there using it?
Is is reliable, etc?  Also, I've heard that C-Ltd has a tape drive that runs
on their controller.  What about it?  Are there any other products available
now that would be good for backups?  How do the developers out there backup
their hard drives?

barrett@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Dan Barrett) (08/30/89)

In article <1501.AA1501@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>I've heard that C-Ltd has a 10 Meg floppy that would probably be acceptable
>for backups.  Is anyone out there using it?  Is is reliable, etc?  Also,
>I've heard that C-Ltd has a tape drive that runs on their controller.  What
>about it?

	C.Ltd. has discontinued its 10-meg floppy drive, saying that it was
very hard to obtain (it is made by Konika).  They now carry the Syquist
44-megabyte removable media drive instead.  The Syquist is much more
expensive (about $1350 by mail order, plus $120 per cartridge).  However, if
you do find a 10-meg floppy drive, you might use it -- I have many reports
that they are very reliable.

	C.Ltd. does make a tape drive too, but it has one problem.  It
can store only 20 meg on a 60-meg tape.  They are working to fix this;
call them to find out their latest progress, I guess.  If you don't mind
buying several tapes (pretty cheap), you might not mind the problem.

                                                        Dan

 //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
| Dan Barrett, Systems Administrator  --  barrett@cs.jhu.edu (128.220.13.4) |
| Dept. of Computer Science, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD  21218 |
| E-mail addresses:  INTERNET:    barrett@cs.jhu.edu                        |
|                    BITNET:      ins_adjb@jhuvms.bitnet                    |
|              (new) UUCP:        barrett@jhunix.UUCP                       |
|                    COMPUSERVE:  >internet:barrett@cs.jhu.edu              |
 \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/////////////////////////////////////

a3@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Allen) (08/30/89)

> Note to Dave Allen:  please post or Email info on your VCR "Streamer" (???)
>                      (will it work on a 2000?)
>                                    Thanks,
>                                         Jim Pritchett

Jim and others....
        I am afraid we have joined the ranks of the Toaster and a few other
projects in the RSN approach to marketing. Without going into details (which
you can get if you phone) the Streamer is on track for release in the near
future. (If I say another date I will hex it again!!) For the time being I am
taking names and addresses and phone numbers (but no orders until we have
production quantities to ship). Rather than send me mail over the net, (which
is on and off) just drop me a post card to the address below. There are about
12 Units being sent out to the better AMIGA magazines (and you know who you are
:-) before the final production run, so there will be reviews late in the year.

Sorry for taking up Net.width here but I was asked and the mail ...

--

RSI-where WEDGES come from  |||   Please note our new Address and Phone
and VCR Streamer Soon Too...|X|   Number .....

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (09/01/89)

In article <462@mindlink.UUCP> a3@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Allen) writes:

   > Note to Dave Allen:  please post or Email info on your VCR "Streamer" (???)
   >                      (will it work on a 2000?)
   >                                    Thanks,
   >                                         Jim Pritchett

   Jim and others....
	   I am afraid we have joined the ranks of the Toaster and a few other
   projects in the RSN approach to marketing.

Well, at least you admit it...

				--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

  "$16,000!  And all he wanted to do was dip us in plaster!"