[comp.sys.amiga] Software theives

mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) (08/18/89)

Dealers at Winner's Circle, here in Berkeley, have made a few commments of
software theives and vandels raiding their store.  These people actually try
to copy commercial software in the store.  Some even steal the actual disks!!
Some individuals try to infect the machines with viruses.  Some individuals
steal or otherwise screw up the PD disks.  (This especially pisses me off,
because Winner's Circle usually allows peple to make copies of Fish Disks
free of charge)  From what I understand, usually the offenders are minors.

Winner's Circle is a small shop, crammed full of Amiga, Mac, ST, and IBM
hardware and software.  They're usually quite busy, and therefore they
cannot watch everybody all of the time.  As a result of these theives and
vandels, many services that should occur (i.e try out a game in the store
before you buy it, easily get the latetest PD stuff) cannot.

Any other dealers have this problem?

|    Evan Jay Mitchell                 EECS/ERL Industrial Liaison Program    |
|    mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu       University of California at Berkeley   |
|    Phone: (415) 643-6687                                                    |
|              "Think, it ain't illegal...yet!" - George Clinton              |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (08/18/89)

In article <30706@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:

[about people coming in and installing viruses, stealing actual disks,
copying disks in-store, killing freely-redistributable stuff, etc]

Sounds like a lot of those problems would be solved if there were a
device like the local computer-toystore sells for the Nintendo thing-
a lock that goes over the cartridge slot (in this case it would be the
disk drives of course). I seem to remember there being something like
that for the 64 or PClones; maybe it's time to generalize the concept.
Of course, then if someone wanted to demo something they'd need the
help of the management. Oh well. That's really the way it should be
anyway- run demos except when someone wants to preview something, then
don't let the disk out of your sight.

(Some people might think this to be a shift in attitudes coming from
me. Most people probably don't care one way or the other. But, I
consider actually lifting product from the shelves to be a crime. I
don't consider, say, an employee taking a piece of software home,
copying it, bringing it back and re-shelving it with new labels and
all to be a crime in the slightest.)
--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///  Blah

bga@raspail.cdcnet.cdc.com (Bruce Albrecht) (08/19/89)

In article <6846@rpi.edu>, kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
> (Some people might think this to be a shift in attitudes coming from
> me. Most people probably don't care one way or the other. But, I
> consider actually lifting product from the shelves to be a crime. I
> don't consider, say, an employee taking a piece of software home,
> copying it, bringing it back and re-shelving it with new labels and
> all to be a crime in the slightest.)

Oh really?  How is it different for the store employee to copy something, than
it is for a prospective customer to copy it?  I could understand the store
employee taking it home and playing with it to gain familiarity and then
returning it, but copying is stealing.  Period.

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (08/20/89)

In article <2361@raspail.cdcnet.cdc.com> bga@raspail.cdcnet.cdc.com (Bruce Albrecht) writes:

>> (Some people might think this to be a shift in attitudes coming
>> from me. Most people probably don't care one way or the other. But,
>> I consider actually lifting product from the shelves to be a crime.
>> I don't consider, say, an employee taking a piece of software home,
>> copying it, bringing it back and re-shelving it with new labels and
>> all to be a crime in the slightest.)

>Oh really?  How is it different for the store employee to copy
>something, than it is for a prospective customer to copy it?  I could
>understand the store employee taking it home and playing with it to
>gain familiarity and then returning it, but copying is stealing.
>Period.

Didn't I already respond to you in E-mail? Look. I said *nothing*
about customers copying anything. I said *lifting* product is a crime.
I don't care who copies what; as far as I'm concerned, unless
something physical is stolen there is no problem- no one loses
anything except the publisher, and that only theoretically. And don't
even bother to tell me that the employee who takes home a software
package every night to dupe would have bought 180-odd software
packages in a year. They don't get paid that well.
--

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (08/22/89)

In article <6846@rpi.edu>, kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
> In article <30706@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:

> [about people coming in and installing viruses, stealing actual disks,
> copying disks in-store, killing freely-redistributable stuff, etc]

> (Some people might think this to be a shift in attitudes coming from
> me. Most people probably don't care one way or the other. But, I
> consider actually lifting product from the shelves to be a crime. I
> don't consider, say, an employee taking a piece of software home,
> copying it, bringing it back and re-shelving it with new labels and
> all to be a crime in the slightest.)

> Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
> Pi-Rho America  \\        ///  Blah
> 2346 15th St.    \\      ///
> Troy, NY 12180   /X\ \\\///  keywords: mike oldfield yes u2 r.e.m. new order
> (518)271-8624   // \\ \XX/  steely dan f.g.t.h. kate bush .....and even Rush

====== ANGRY FLAME STARTS HERE! =======

Thanks, I will keep your name and address on file so I can circulate it with
the lists of known and/or admitted SOFTWARE THIEVES which several developers I
know maintain!  Stealing is stealing!  If you take the original from the store
and do not return it, that is stealing.  (I assume this is why you return the
original to the store.)  By copying the original, you are ILLEGALY DUPLICATING
COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL!  YOU ARE STEALING! YOU ARE A SLIMY, LUMP OF BILE-RIDDEN
EXCREMENT WHO SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY WITH THE WORST REFUSE OF HUMANITY!  I HOPE
YOUR BOSS FINDS OUT ABOUT YOUR LITTLE PILFERING PROJECT AND HAS YOU LOCKED UP.
I AM TEMPTED TO REPORT YOU TO THE NY STATE POLICE AND THE FBI AND ASK THEM TO
INVESTIGATE YOU BASED UPON YOUR PUBLIC ADMISSION (reprinted above).

I FOR ONE WILL *NEVER* PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM Pi-Rho America, Nor will I sell
or allow to be sold to you any of my products.  Should it *EVER* come to my
attention that your company has sold one of my products I will take great
pleasure in seeing you and your company dragged through the courts and prosecuted!

I call upon all CSA readers to boycott your company and any products or services
it produces.  This kind of blatant irresponsibility on the part of people like
yourself cannot be tolerated.  Slime like you should be locked up!

I don't like you!

I urge everyone who reads this to mail a request to the postmaster at
pawl.rpi.edu (whose address is: usenet@rpi.edu) to have your login
canceled or, at least, your USENET privaleges revoked.  You are a
stinking theif!  You are publicly advocating theft!  You break the
law and urge others to break the law; you should be locked up!

(FLAME OFF!)
Toodles.
ARS.

--
- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com
- {uunet, sundc, decuac}!cos!andrews -- Everything I write blame on me, NOT

> [...]

I don't like you!

I urge everyone who reads this to mail a request to the postmaster at
pawl.rpi.edu (whose address is: usenet@rpi.edu) to have your login
canceled or, at least, your USENET privaleges revoked.  You are a
stinking theif!  You are publicly advocating theft!  You break the
law and urge others to break the law; you should be locked up!

(FLAME OFF!)
Toodles.
ARS.

--
- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com
- {uunet, sundc, decuac}!cos!andrews -- Everything I write blame on me, NOT
-- my employer. - "Adventure is when you toss your life on the scales of
-- chance and wait for the pointer to stop." - M. Leinster (First Contact)

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (08/23/89)

Robert Kudla:

In article <21819@cos.com> andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) writes:
>COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL!  YOU ARE STEALING! YOU ARE A SLIMY, LUMP OF BILE-RIDDEN
>EXCREMENT WHO SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY WITH THE WORST REFUSE OF HUMANITY!
>[various threats, etc. etc.]

Thank you for this insightful contribution to a thought-provoking discussion.
I found your paraphrase of a statement of opinion ("I don't consider
it to be a crime," above) particularly perceptive:

> You are publicly advocating theft...and urge others to break the law

Based on your excellent analysis of Robert's posting, how can anyone conclude
anything other than that Robert is dangerous and should be exiled from our
community:
>I urge everyone who reads this to mail a request to [Robert's postmaster]
>to have your login canceled or, at least, your USENET privaleges revoked.

Again, thank you for opening my eyes to some new ideas.  It has been most
edifying.

>- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA
                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
                                   right.

--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner

alj@bilver.UUCP (alj) (08/23/89)

 Actually, is Pi-Rho (Pyro?) America a real company, in the first place?
 -Arthur

* (uiucuxc, hoptoad, petsd)!peora!tarpit!bilver!alj       PLink: DUNG        *
* alj@bilver.UUCP		   <FEH>		  GEnie: A.JOHNSONJR *

mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) (08/23/89)

In article <21818@cos.com> andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) writes:
>In article <6846@rpi.edu>, kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>> In article <30706@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>
>> [about people coming in and installing viruses, stealing actual disks,
>> copying disks in-store, killing freely-redistributable stuff, etc]
>
>> (Some people might think this to be a shift in attitudes coming from
>> me. Most people probably don't care one way or the other. But, I
>> consider actually lifting product from the shelves to be a crime. I
>> don't consider, say, an employee taking a piece of software home,
>> copying it, bringing it back and re-shelving it with new labels and
>> all to be a crime in the slightest.)
>
>> Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
>> Pi-Rho America  \\        ///  Blah
>> 2346 15th St.    \\      ///
>> Troy, NY 12180   /X\ \\\///  keywords: mike oldfield yes u2 r.e.m. new order
>> (518)271-8624   // \\ \XX/  steely dan f.g.t.h. kate bush .....and even Rush
>
>====== ANGRY FLAME STARTS HERE! =======
>
>Thanks, I will keep your name and address on file so I can circulate it with
>the lists of known and/or admitted SOFTWARE THIEVES which several developers I
>know maintain!  Stealing is stealing!  If you take the original from the store
>and do not return it, that is stealing.  (I assume this is why you return the
>original to the store.)  By copying the original, you are ILLEGALY DUPLICATING
>COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL!  YOU ARE STEALING! YOU ARE A SLIMY, LUMP OF BILE-RIDDEN
>EXCREMENT WHO SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY WITH THE WORST REFUSE OF HUMANITY!  I HOPE
>YOUR BOSS FINDS OUT ABOUT YOUR LITTLE PILFERING PROJECT AND HAS YOU LOCKED UP.
>I AM TEMPTED TO REPORT YOU TO THE NY STATE POLICE AND THE FBI AND ASK THEM TO
>INVESTIGATE YOU BASED UPON YOUR PUBLIC ADMISSION (reprinted above).
>
>I FOR ONE WILL *NEVER* PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM Pi-Rho America, Nor will I sell
>or allow to be sold to you any of my products.  Should it *EVER* come to my
>attention that your company has sold one of my products I will take great
>pleasure in seeing you and your company dragged through the courts and prosecuted!
>
>I call upon all CSA readers to boycott your company and any products or services
>it produces.  This kind of blatant irresponsibility on the part of people like
>yourself cannot be tolerated.  Slime like you should be locked up!
>
>I don't like you!
>
>I urge everyone who reads this to mail a request to the postmaster at
>pawl.rpi.edu (whose address is: usenet@rpi.edu) to have your login
>canceled or, at least, your USENET privaleges revoked.  You are a
>stinking theif!  You are publicly advocating theft!  You break the
>law and urge others to break the law; you should be locked up!

I am in agreement!  (And I thought this flame should be seen again too!)

Well said.  I know that MKSoft Development now has this slim on my list.
C= will too, as soon as I can find out where such a list is kept.

>(FLAME OFF!)
>Toodles.
>ARS.
>
>--
>- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com
>- {uunet, sundc, decuac}!cos!andrews -- Everything I write blame on me, NOT
>-- my employer. - "Adventure is when you toss your life on the scales of
>-- chance and wait for the pointer to stop." - M. Leinster (First Contact)

--- And C= is completely befuddled by any of my postings...  They are mine. ---

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software/Support Engineer        |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///      ...and then, just as all was in kaos, someone said:       |
| \XX/     "Let there be ... what was that!? ... An Amiga? ... light!" |

brian@jtsv16.UUCP (Brian A. Jarvis) (08/23/89)

In article <21818@cos.com> andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) writes:
>In article <6846@rpi.edu>, kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>> In article <30706@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>
>> [about people coming in and installing viruses, stealing actual disks,
>> copying disks in-store, killing freely-redistributable stuff, etc]
>
>> (Some people might think this to be a shift in attitudes coming from
>> me. Most people probably don't care one way or the other. But, I
>> consider actually lifting product from the shelves to be a crime. I
>> don't consider, say, an employee taking a piece of software home,
>> copying it, bringing it back and re-shelving it with new labels and
>> all to be a crime in the slightest.)
>
>> Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
>> Pi-Rho America  \\        ///  Blah
>
>====== ANGRY FLAME STARTS HERE! =======
>
> [...much condemnation about stealing...]

>YOU ARE A SLIMY, LUMP OF BILE-RIDDEN
>EXCREMENT WHO SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY WITH THE WORST REFUSE OF HUMANITY!

He's already in comp.sys.amiga, isn't he?  B{)

>I HOPE
>YOUR BOSS FINDS OUT ABOUT YOUR LITTLE PILFERING PROJECT AND HAS YOU LOCKED UP.
>I AM TEMPTED TO REPORT YOU TO THE NY STATE POLICE AND THE FBI AND ASK THEM TO
>INVESTIGATE YOU BASED UPON YOUR PUBLIC ADMISSION (reprinted above).

And they'll say:  "Prove it."

>I FOR ONE WILL *NEVER* PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM Pi-Rho America, Nor will I sell
>or allow to be sold to you any of my products.  Should it *EVER* come to my
>attention that your company has sold one of my products I will take great
>pleasure in seeing you and your company dragged through the courts and prosecuted!

And they'll say:  "Prove it."  Just like so many people, you've had
a bad day, maybe a little constipation, a slight headache or some such
thing.  Suddenly, you catch a rumour that his company has sold one of your
products!  Get the lawyers!  Call the courts!  Where's the FBI?!  I'd
recommend for the sake of the legal system that you pause to see if the
rumour is first true.  If so, then see if anything was copied or
sold illegally.  *THEN* prosecute.  In that order.

>I call upon all CSA readers to boycott your company and any products or services
>it produces.  This kind of blatant irresponsibility on the part of people like
>yourself cannot be tolerated.  Slime like you should be locked up!

And I say:  "Prove it."  I'm not boycotting anyone without sufficient
proof that an event has occurred which deserves boycotting.  Even then,
I'll make my own decision on whether or not to boycot, thank you.

>I don't like you!

Now *there*'s a revelation!

>I urge everyone who reads this to mail a request to the postmaster at
>pawl.rpi.edu (whose address is: usenet@rpi.edu) to have your login
>canceled or, at least, your USENET privaleges revoked.

Why?  Will taking away one's USENET privileges suddenly cause a wave of
enlightenment to spread across the continent, ushering us into a new
age of peace and prosperity?  I don't quite see the relationship there...
Will it change Robert's position?  Not likely.

>  You are a
>stinking thief!  You are publicly advocating theft!  You break the
>law and urge others to break the law; you should be locked up!

I didn't notice any place where he advocated breaking the law.

>(FLAME OFF!)
>--
>- Andrew R. Scholnick @ Corp. for Open Systems, McLean, VA -- andrews@cos.com

Well, I can't say agree with Robert's position, but Andrew's little
tirade has done little more than muddy the issue by starting a personal
vendetta against a person I would wager he's never met, had any business
dealings with or even corresponded with before.

And before I start getting all kinds of stupid accusations ("How can you
defend a self-declared thief?!") which I know will come (probably starting
with Andrew), let me throw this item into the wind:

Prove to me that Robert wrote the original article.  Then prove to me
that he spoke the truth with his hand on the Bible before witnesses.  His
original article was just something which appeared on our terminals; it
is NOT an affidavit.  How do you know I didn't fake it?

Prove to me a crime has been committed.

P.S. to Andrew:  My home number is listed, along with my address.  Send
the cops after *me* if you think you can.

   __                         __	Brian A. Jarvis,
  /  )  ...jtsv16!brian      /  )	J.T.S. Computer Systems Ltd.,
 /--<  __  o __.  ____      /--/	Downsview, Ontario
/___/_/ (_<_(_/|_/ / <_    /  ( o	My dog, Goof, still says "Hi!"

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (08/24/89)

In article <21818@cos.com> andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) writes:

>Thanks, I will keep your name and address on file so I can circulate
>it with the lists of known and/or admitted SOFTWARE THIEVES which
>several developers I know maintain!

Oh my, I do believe I've been blacklisted. I don't recall where I ever
admitted to pirating software, just that I agree with the concept.
(Actually, in an earlier posting today, I admitted to cracking at
least one piece of C64 software long ago. But you don't know which
one, so you can't even sue me. I don't even think it's probable
cause.)

>Stealing is stealing!  If you take the original from the store and do
>not return it, that is stealing.  (I assume this is why you return
>the original to the store.)

I've never worked at an electronics store, my confoosed friend. Please
do learn to read.

Now, this is where the fun starts. I was worried about this little
geek pulling nasty political crap on me until I saw this:

>By copying the original, you are ILLEGALY DUPLICATING COPYRIGHTED
>MATERIAL!  YOU ARE STEALING! YOU ARE A SLIMY, LUMP OF BILE-RIDDEN
>EXCREMENT WHO SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY WITH THE WORST REFUSE OF
>HUMANITY!  I HOPE YOUR BOSS FINDS OUT ABOUT YOUR LITTLE PILFERING
>PROJECT AND HAS YOU LOCKED UP.  I AM TEMPTED TO REPORT YOU TO THE NY
>STATE POLICE AND THE FBI AND ASK THEM TO INVESTIGATE YOU BASED UPON
>YOUR PUBLIC ADMISSION (reprinted above).

Do what you like; they'll say "we'll see what we can do" and that will
be the end of it. Even if someone were to come to my door with a
warrant, I don't believe they'd find a piece of copyrighted software.
They'd find plenty in other people's rooms, but if the warrant were
for me and my Amiga..... oh well. Not that they'd pay attention to my
statement above, which is not an admission but a statement of belief.

By the way, I don't know if you're aware of this, but your caps lock
key appears to be stuck. Also, what boss are you talking about? I'm a
Kelly girl, don'tcha know. I don't think they'd know what you meant if
you said "pirate".

>I FOR ONE WILL *NEVER* PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM Pi-Rho America, Nor
>will I sell or allow to be sold to you any of my products.  Should it
>*EVER* come to my attention that your company has sold one of my
>products I will take great pleasure in seeing you and your company
>dragged through the courts and prosecuted!

Huh? Pi-Rho is an antifraternity. A house. "Pi-Rho America" is the
name owned by my landlord describing.... well, I don't exactly know
what, but it sounds nice and funny and your reaction is a definite
indication that I should leave it in my signature. What a hoot.

>I call upon all CSA readers to boycott your company and any products
>or services it produces.  This kind of blatant irresponsibility on
>the part of people like yourself cannot be tolerated.  Slime like you
>should be locked up!

Never say "should". People like me can just as easily say that slime
like you should be stripped of all their miniscule value and left to
die on the streets of manhattan, but we don't.

>I don't like you!

The mail you sent to my postmaster pretty well demonstrates that, I
think. I've been amply admonished about the problems with making
statements of political impropriety. In short, I shall watch my mouth
in the future lest dickheads like you vomit forth more such bile.

However, I shan't say I don't like you. You seem the honest
businessman, and I can't fault you for taking offense at someone who
opposes your views. Presumably, you spent a lot of time, effort and
money to get where you are now. But, I have just as much of a right to
explain myself as you do yourself, and I resent that you would attempt
to reduce my rights.

>I urge everyone who reads this to mail a request to the postmaster at
>pawl.rpi.edu (whose address is: usenet@rpi.edu) to have your login
>canceled or, at least, your USENET privaleges revoked.  You are a
>stinking theif!  You are publicly advocating theft!  You break the
>law and urge others to break the law; you should be locked up!

I admitted no such thing. Therefore, what you say here is libel. I
demand a public apology, as well as one sent to my Usenet
administrators. What I did is not a crime; what you just did is. Now
who's the slimy mudball?

Followups have been directed to alt.flame. They seem to like this sort
of thing.
--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///  Boy, am I glad I don't have a phone
Troy, NY 12180   /X\ \\\///  keywords: mike oldfield yes u2 r.e.m. new order
(518)271-8624   // \\ \XX/  steely dan f.g.t.h. kate bush .....and even Rush

pmartin@ucqais.uc.edu (Paul Martin) (08/24/89)

Well, I really resist getting into these discussions but I could not let
the following go without a comment or two.

In article <21818@cos.com>, andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) writes:
> In article <6846@rpi.edu>, kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
> > In article <30706@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
>
> > [about people coming in and installing viruses, stealing actual disks,
> > copying disks in-store, killing freely-redistributable stuff, etc]
>
> > (Some people might think this to be a shift in attitudes coming from
> > me. Most people probably don't care one way or the other. But, I
> > consider actually lifting product from the shelves to be a crime. I
> > don't consider, say, an employee taking a piece of software home,
> > copying it, bringing it back and re-shelving it with new labels and
> > all to be a crime in the slightest.)
>

> Thanks, I will keep your name and address on file so I can circulate it with
> the lists of known and/or admitted SOFTWARE THIEVES which several developers I
> know maintain!  Stealing is stealing!  If you take the original from the store
> and do not return it, that is stealing.  (I assume this is why you return the
> original to the store.)  By copying the original, you are ILLEGALY DUPLICATING
> COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL!  YOU ARE STEALING! YOU ARE A SLIMY, LUMP OF BILE-RIDDEN
> EXCREMENT WHO SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY WITH THE WORST REFUSE OF HUMANITY!  I HOPE
> YOUR BOSS FINDS OUT ABOUT YOUR LITTLE PILFERING PROJECT AND HAS YOU LOCKED UP.
> I AM TEMPTED TO REPORT YOU TO THE NY STATE POLICE AND THE FBI AND ASK THEM TO
> INVESTIGATE YOU BASED UPON YOUR PUBLIC ADMISSION (reprinted above).

Ok, ok you can call people names.   But do you really believe that the
FBI is going to waste alot of taxpayers money to hust down someone who
copies a few games?  I think not.  Software piracy (not for money) is
tha same thing as copying an article from a magazine from a friend or
recording a movie off of cable for you brother-in-law and I would be
willing to bet that 99.9% of the people reading this article would be
guilty of some sort of piracy.  So lets cut this nonsense of "I think
software pirates should be shot!" because almost all of us would be
facing a firing squad if this were the way things were done.

> I FOR ONE WILL *NEVER* PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM Pi-Rho America, Nor will I sell
> or allow to be sold to you any of my products.  Should it *EVER* come to my
> attention that your company has sold one of my products I will take great
> pleasure in seeing you and your company dragged through the courts and prosecuted!

My guess is that if Pi-Rho had something you needed, you would not be so
quick to say that.  Also, if Pi-Rho placed an order for 5 million dollars,
your morals would change about who you would sell to.

> I don't like you!

I think you are really paranoid!  The best way to prevent piracy is
to put out a quality product and people won't feel bad about paying
a few dollars for it.  If you are a good programmer, people will buy
your software, even though many people will pirate it, you will still
make a much bigger percentage of sales.  I am a programmer myself and
have sold many a program, and the least of my worries is piracy, because
I figure that 99% of the pirated copies would not have been bought
no matter what.  The only programmers who should worry are the
programmers who can't sell their programs so they blame it on those
damn pirates, HEY BUDDY, LOOK IN THE MIRROR!

> I urge everyone who reads this to mail a request to the postmaster at
> pawl.rpi.edu (whose address is: usenet@rpi.edu) to have your login
> canceled or, at least, your USENET privaleges revoked.  You are a
> stinking theif!  You are publicly advocating theft!  You break the
> law and urge others to break the law; you should be locked up!

I urge you to read the rules for this group about flaming!
Instead of calling people names, why not try some constructive
critisism.

God I feel much better now!

--
+-----------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Paul Martin                 | Yes I am serious, and       |

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (08/24/89)

This is a note I just sent to the administrative logins at cos.com:

-------

One of your users, Andrew Scholnick (login id andrews), recently made a
Usenet posting in response to an opinion that someone else posted. In
Andrew's response, he libeled that person by publically calling them a
criminal, and asked people to bombard that persons postmaster with
requests to have his account revoked.

Hotheadedness is one thing, but this is really out of line.  That
person admitted to no crime, but merely stated an opinion.  Postmasters
and administrators are busy enough without being bothered by intolerant
people like this.

Recently, this "lynching" phenomena on Usenet has become a popular
means to strike down people with whom one does not agree. I consider it
very ugly, and detrimental the the educational process as a whole. It
is important that all ideas have a chance to be discussed, no matter
how controversial.

I would like to suggest that someone talk to Mr. Scholnick, and explain
to him that harassment and libel are considerably more serious crimes
than stating one's opinion.

Thank you,

Sean Casey

--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.

andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) (08/24/89)

[various interesting tid-bits...]

> Andrew's response, he libeled that person by publically calling them a
> criminal, and asked people to bombard that persons postmaster with
> requests to have his account revoked.
>
> Hotheadedness is one thing, but this is really out of line.  That
> person admitted to no crime, but merely stated an opinion.  Postmasters
> and administrators are busy enough without being bothered by intolerant
> people like this.

[other various interesting tid-bits...]

> --
> ***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
> ***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.
> ***  ``Why can't anything be as simple as following the instructions???'' -me

This is the body of a note I just sent to sean@ms.uky.edu:

Um, I beg to differ, Mr. K  goes on to say in other postings:

> That actually makes a bit of sense. I've only once or twice (and that
> was in my Commodore 64 days) pirated something I've used every day.
> Usually I pirate some game to divert me for a day or two since there's
> no such thing as software rentals. (Hell, we've got 2 vcr's here most
> of the year and I've still never copied a tape I've rented....) The
> other option is that yes, I take a piece of productivity software
> (MicroFiche comes to mind) for a test drive. When I can afford it, if
> I've decided it's not a piece of crap, I buy it.
> (Simple analogy for the brain-dead: I see nothing wrong with eating liver.
> This does not mean I have any desire to do so myself.)

Translation: I pirate stuff and only when I decide I will directly profit
from shelling out some cash will I pay the author for what I have stolen.

As I am sure you are aware, If a person talks another person into, say, robing
a bank the first person, under the right circumstances, can be found guilty of
something called 'conspiracy'.  If your neighbor tells you that he has killed
his first wife, and was never caught, your not telling the appropriate
officials (unless you have an extraordinarily good reason) what you know can
put you at risk of charges of 'accessory after-the-fact', 'harboring a criminal',
or any of a number of other charges.  Recently, there has been alot of activity in
federal, state and local governmental bodies which are attempting to define
what limits of liability and responsibility are appropriate for computer BBS
and similar electronic services.  IMHO, It is in the interest of the NET to
discourage these public admissions of felonious activity, as well as the open
and energetic encouragement of such activity.  The laws that are coming into
existance are already starting to get very restrictive.  Some small BBS and
email/news networks have already closed down because they simply don't want to
'take the risk' of being held accountable for someone like Mr. Kubla.

Perhapps you are right.  It is likely that I should have kept my response to
him on a more personal level rather than posting a FLAME.  I myself do not
generally encourage flames.  There were, however, too many aspects of this
posting that rubbed me wrong, so I flamed.  A more coherent response would, in
all likelihood, have been appropriate.

Hindsight is 20-20.

ARS.

--

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (08/25/89)

In article <21868@cos.com> andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) writes:

   Um, I beg to differ, Mr. K  goes on to say in other postings:

[a quote from another article of mine casually mentioning that yes,
once I did pirate at least one C64 game.... which I've acknowledged
several times since then]
   > (Simple analogy for the brain-dead: I see nothing wrong with eating liver.
   > This does not mean I have any desire to do so myself.)

Ehhhh! Misquote! I *like* liver! Cretin!

Someone make a note of this! Mark my words, I'LL SUE!!! The very nerve....

   Translation: I pirate stuff and only when I decide I will directly profit
   from shelling out some cash will I pay the author for what I have stolen.

Now that you mention it, that sounds like a pretty decent way to
operate, though I would word it a little differently myself were I so
inclined.

[paranoid ravings of how the FBI is gonna legislate us out of
existence if we don't watch our mouths or something like that]

I'll believe that when the last porn shop gets closed down and the
last non-Christian church gets torched. And by then I expect to have
been lynched for quite some time, anyway.... I don't know if you've
forgotten or what, but supposedly we get this neat privilege called
"freedom of thought" in exchange for having to have been born here in
the good old U S of A.

Followups, *once again*, have been pointed at alt.flame.
--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///     Constitution: A piece of paper designed to

san@halley.UUCP (Steve Sanderson) (08/25/89)

In article <6865@rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>I don't care who copies what; as far as I'm concerned, unless
>something physical is stolen there is no problem- no one loses
>anything except the publisher, and that only theoretically.

About your comment that only the publisher loses money...
Well it is true that the publisher loses money, so does the developer.
A close friend of mine and I went out and bought the original Amigas when
they were first released, with our own savings, and spent our own private
time developing three packages to be sold for the *very new* Amiga market
because we both believed that the Amiga had a lot to offer and we sincerely
wanted it to succeed.

Well... after finding out that our product was stolen/copied illegally much
more than it was sold, it really hurt me.  I had spent a lot of effort
developing work which I believed in, not to get rich but just to make a
living and to be able to continue doing something I felt good about.
What I saw was that my personal work was not respected by a bunch of people,
that people would rather steal my work and argue legalities rather than
just respecting me and my work.  I am not some huge company, trying to
make megabucks, I'm not some shyster trying to rip someone off, I'm just
one guy trying to do some creative work at home, find people who appreciate
my work and get enough support to continue doing what I believe in.

Consequently, I've stopped developing for the Amiga because it appears to
me that what I need from people who would buy my software, i.e. honesty,
is not available enough around the Amiga.

As may be obvious, I'm bitter.  I'm disappointed that something with the
personal, grassroots activity around has so much of what I consider
dishonesty.

Steve Sanderson

halley!san@cs.utexas.edu

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (08/26/89)

YAAPV (Yet Another Anti-Pirate Volley) - Hit "n" to escape now.

In article <574@halley.UUCP> san@halley.UUCP (Steve Sanderson) writes:
     [...description of how his livelyhood was stolen by pirates...]
>Consequently, I've stopped developing for the Amiga because it appears to
>me that what I need from people who would buy my software, i.e. honesty,
>is not available enough around the Amiga.
>
>As may be obvious, I'm bitter.  I'm disappointed that something with the
>personal, grassroots activity around has so much of what I consider
>dishonesty.
>

>Steve Sanderson
>
>halley!san@cs.utexas.edu

This is what I'm talking about.  The pirate lovers say "well, if his
software was good enough, _someone_ would've payed for it...", but
obviously "someone" does not include the pirates themselves.  It
reminds me of Leona Helmesly who said, "Taxes are for the little
people."  Her tax dodging probably cost me but a few cents total on
my taxes, but this fact reduces my contempt for her not one whit.
--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

pfaff@mercury.asd.contel.com (Ray Pfaff - Oakwood 457 934-8162) (08/26/89)

Robert Kudla:
>> I don't consider, say, an employee taking a piece of software home,
>> copying it, bringing it back and re-shelving it with new labels and
>> all to be a crime in the slightest.
In article <21819@cos.com> andrews@cos.com (Andrew R. Scholnick) writes:
>COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL!  YOU ARE STEALING! YOU ARE A SLIMY, LUMP OF BILE-RIDDEN
>EXCREMENT WHO SHOULD BE LOCKED AWAY WITH THE WORST REFUSE OF HUMANITY!
>[various threats, etc. etc.]
>I urge everyone who reads this to mail a request to [Robert's postmaster]
>to have your login canceled or, at least, your USENET privaleges revoked.
May we do the same when you say something that the rest of us disagree with?

-Ray Pfaff

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (08/26/89)

In article <574@halley.UUCP> san@halley.UUCP (Steve Sanderson) writes:

   Well... after finding out that our product was stolen/copied illegally much
   more than it was sold, it really hurt me.

Two things:

One, did you have a software house publish it? If so, would you have
still been hurt had those who copied it paid you your cut (which,
assuming a $50 product and a 5% commission, would have been $2.50)?

Two, did you do well despite the pirates? If so, what you felt was not
hurt but greed. If not, I'd say you probably wrote an inferior
product. A vast majority of Amigans I know with liquid assets are more
than willing to purchase what they hear and see is a decent product.

   What I saw was that my personal work was not respected by a bunch of people,
   that people would rather steal my work and argue legalities rather than
   just respecting me and my work.

(Speaking for myself, I find that arguiing legalities is a dead-end
street. I do it only to amuse myself and to provoke responses to try
and understand why in the world someone would possibly consider
duplication and stealing to be identical. Is lighting a candle off of
your neighbor's stove stealing fire? Should you have to pay a service
charge for the privilege?)

   I am not some huge company, trying to
   make megabucks, I'm not some shyster trying to rip someone off, I'm just
   one guy trying to do some creative work at home, find people who appreciate
   my work and get enough support to continue doing what I believe in.

As I've said before, it's the rare home software enterpreneur who can
make it at all. There's too much deadwood commercial software and too
much good F.R. stuff for anything but the absolute best to succeed.

   Consequently, I've stopped developing for the Amiga because it appears to
   me that what I need from people who would buy my software, i.e. honesty,
   is not available enough around the Amiga.

Praytell, which computer *is* it around? Most of my friends with 5-1/4
inch machines have boxes and boxes and boxes of pirated stuff. (Yes,
this applies to PClones as much as if not more than the 8-bits. The
only pirate boards I'm currently aware of in this area are both PC
boards.) The Mac? You've got to be kidding. Software for that thing is
so expensive most people can't *afford* to not pirate, especially
undergrads who go and buy Mac II's. ST's? Not only are they all but
dead machines on this continent, but the game-to-productivity ratio in
its software base is such that piracy is automatically a BIG problem.
The only system I don't see much piracy on is UNIX, and that's only
because almost everything useful other than the OS itself is F.R.

Don't tell me you've started developing for the Nintendo....
--

noel@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) (08/26/89)

}> In art. <30706@ucbvax> mitchell@janus.berkeley.edu (Evan Mitchell) writes:
}
[...]

    Boy, doesn't this make you wanna run right out and post your opinion
    on the subject?  Just make sure it agrees with Andrew's, or he
    might tell on you...

    Last time I checked, USENET was supposed to be a place for INTELLIGENT
    discussion of topics, and was, in general, above this sort of name
    calling and threatening.  (Richard Sexton not withstanding of course...)

}I FOR ONE WILL *NEVER* PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM Pi-Rho America, Nor will I sell
}or allow to be sold to you any of my products.  Should it *EVER* come to my

    Who-GAS?

	<I deleted the rest of this tripe, in the interest of sanity>

}I don't like you!

    Thats ok, I have atleast a half-dozen CSA readers right here in my
    office that dont like you.  So go soak your head already, and move
    this garbage to somewhere it'll be appreaciated, like alt.Who-GAS.

    Bamf

--
/*       "Can you do something out of this world?" -- Supertramp
----You want it should sing too?------|  noel@uokmax |  ...!texsun!uokmax!noel

kgschlueter@violet.waterloo.edu (Kevin Schlueter) (08/27/89)

Recently there have been several "confessions" of software piracy as well
as several follow-ups stating that the "confessors" will be put on some
sort of list.  People making such lists should remember that:

1.  Usenet messages can have fake senders (anyone who reads news around
    April 1 should know this).

2.  Someone other than the official owner of the account may be using it to
    readnews and post messages.

3.  In Canada and the U.S., people are assumed innocent until proven
    guilty by due process.

4.  In light of points 1 and 2, it is unlikely that 3 could satisfied by
    a usenet article alone.

Even if the above were not true, do you think that you can even slightly
slow software piracy by noting the names of one or two alleged pirates?
I bet most of these alleged pirates have copied less than 10 software
packages each and probably mostly games at that.  Obviously, this doesn't
make their actions right, but it's silly to waste your time going after
these people.  The people making lists are like a police force that
pulls over 1 or 2 cars for driving 10 mph over the speed limit and lets
30 or 40 cars that are driving much faster get away.

wayneck@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Wayne Knapp) (08/29/89)

In article <6932@rpi.edu>, kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
> In article <574@halley.UUCP> san@halley.UUCP (Steve Sanderson) writes:
>
>    Well... after finding out that our product was stolen/copied illegally much
>    more than it was sold, it really hurt me.
>
> Two things:
>
> One, did you have a software house publish it? If so, would you have
> still been hurt had those who copied it paid you your cut (which,
> assuming a $50 product and a 5% commission, would have been $2.50)?

I don't know of anyone that pays commissions on the List price of software.
From what I've seem, most people get 10-15% of the gross profits.  This
is one reason why pirates can hurt so much, because the second thousand
copies of a program are a lot cheaper than the first thousand to produce.
There are a lot of startup cost that make programs expensive to get to
the market.

> Two, did you do well despite the pirates? If so, what you felt was not
> hurt but greed. If not, I'd say you probably wrote an inferior
> product. A vast majority of Amigans I know with liquid assets are more
> than willing to purchase what they hear and see is a decent product.

If you ask me it is the pirates that are greedly.  They are taking using
programs without paying for it.  They don't have to use the programs, no
one is forcing them to.  I don't care if they wouldn't have paid for the
program in the first place, if they want the program they should buy it.

Anyway what burns me up is this "inferior product" nonsense!  If the
program is so inferior why do people copy it in the first place.  Also
I would bet that most of the people complaining about programs are not
ones that can get a program out to market.  It is very hard to produce
great code, often it takes a lot of time and effort to correct all the
problems in a large program.  Being a hacker doesn't make one a good
programmer!

I for one am getting fed up with the attitude being presented here.  At
least some respect should be shown for the people trying to get programs
out for the Amiga.  The Amiga market is small enough that at least the
programers should be respected for thier efforts.  Besides what is wrong
about wanting to make a living off of your work, and maybe even getting
rich if your work is good enough!  Isn't that part of the freedom, hope
and dreams that America is all about?

                            Wayne Knapp

judd@tramp.Colorado.EDU (JUDD STEPHEN L) (08/30/89)

Ahem.

I noticed that somewhere in some quote from some other letter somebody said
something like "Since software rental is non-existant..."

Computer Bazaar, in Albuquerque, does in fact rent software, and not even for
that great of a price.  However, I know for a fact that they rake in the bucks
doing this.  Every time I'm in the store somebody is either renting or
returning a rental.  (I personally have never rented, since I lived in Los
Alamos (NM) at the time).  So, why don't more companies do this?  Beats me, but I know that in most cases I would much rather rent some software for a week for
~$10, with a few exceptions (Ultima, for instance).  Are any Boulder
storeowners listening?

P.S. Piracy: The general trend of pirate-type logic is "Why should I pay a lot
     of money for a game that will only last me a week?"  Well, rent a game
     for a week and don't pay a lot of money!!!
P.P.S. Do video rental stores have to send royalties to the distributor,
     company etc. whenever they rent a tape? (Hint, hint...)

=======================================
Sorry, no neat logo.  But I do have a
self-quote: "When all else fails, read
the instructions!"

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (08/31/89)

In article <11146@boulder.Colorado.EDU> judd@tramp.Colorado.EDU (JUDD STEPHEN L) writes:

>I noticed that somewhere in some quote from some other letter
>somebody said something like "Since software rental is
>non-existant..."
>Computer Bazaar, in Albuquerque, does in fact rent software, and not
>even for that great of a price.  However, I know for a fact that they
>rake in the bucks doing this.  Every time I'm in the store somebody

I've had at least three people from the West Coast inform me that this
is common practice. Well, here in the East, the local Price Chopper
rents Nintendo carts but the concept of renting floppies is just
unheard of. Sorry to assume the whole country is braindead....
--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///   Sick feeling, sick reasoning,

phoenix@ms.uky.edu (R'ykandar Korra'ti) (09/02/89)

In article <7002@rpi.edu> kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
>I've had at least three people from the West Coast inform me that this
[renting software]
>is common practice. Well, here in the East, the local Price Chopper
>rents Nintendo carts but the concept of renting floppies is just
>unheard of.
     There's also a store here in Lexington (KY) that rents (or at least used
to rent - I haven't checked up on it lately, since I was never particularlly
interested) software for the Amiga, Atari, and C64. And, of course, every
video store rents Nintendo carts, and a few rent Atari and Sega carts. You
might check other nearby towns if it's important - it's obviously not just a
west-coast concept...
                                                       - R'ykandar.
--
| R'ykandar Korra'ti, Editor, LOW ORBIT | phoenix@ms.uky.edu | CIS 72406,370 |