[comp.sys.amiga] Summary of my inquiries about Amiga UUCP and DNET

cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) (08/29/89)

In keeping with Netiquette (not to mention an e-mail request from Bob Hassin-
ger) (OOPS, I _just did_ "mention it!"), here is a summary of responses to my
recent "Fool Questions" posting, in which I requested information on several
issues relating to DNET and UUCP on the Amiga.

First, many thanks to the respondents:

   Howard Hull (hull@hao.ucar.edu) - DNET and UUCP
   Jeff Van Epps (amusing!lordbah%sunrock.East@Sun.COM) - DNET and UUCP
   Brad Isley (...!gatech!bagend!slammer!brad) - UUCP

(If anyone else has written me, and is not listed here - I never got it!)

Summary of information:

  UUCP:
        Runs successfully on:

           Ami 500 with 3 megs RAM, 40M hard disk
             - "floppies only" would probably mean receiving only a very
               restricted feed: comp.* + rec.* + news.* + sci.* = 2Meg/day
             - "only 1Meg RAM" may cause problems decompressing compressed
               news.

           (model unspecified) with 1.5 megs RAM and two floppies
             - "it wasn't easy" - most binaries on DF0:, some stuff on DF1:,
               about 400K available for UUCP'ing to DF1:.  "You really need
               a hard disk."

        Latest version(s) is/are:

           AmigaUUCP:  version 0.50    \
           AmigaMail:  version 0.50     >- "includes DCRON (Matt Dillon's
           AmigaNews:  version 0.50    /    CRON, not covered by GNU copyright"

        Available from:

           William P. Loftus
           Dynamyx
           P.O. Box 1481
           King of Prussia, PA  19406

            (215) 265-6833

           UUCP: wpl@creation.UUCP
           ARPA: creation!wpl@prc.unisys.com

             - send blank disk w/sufficient return postage, OR
               $5 per disk and Dynamyx will provide disks/postage.

           Also apparently "freely redistributable under the terms of the
           GNU 'copyleft' license."  E.g., find someone who already has it
           and get it from them...  :-)

 -----

   DNET:

   Runs successfully on:

       Ami 500 with 3M memory and 40M hd (Ami side)
         - "binaries appear to consume about 390 blocks"

       BSD Unix systems (*NOT* SYS V Unix; also someone locally reports
         problems trying to run it on this machine (bsu-cs) under 4.3BSD
         Reports are "not yet in" on trying it under "MORE/bsd" installed
         here recently.

   Latest version is  2.0, recently posted to the comp.binaries.amiga news-
     group.  NOTE: Original copies received at PORT system are INCOMPLETE!

   Obtainable from:

      This network, apparently...  no "details" sent, although someone is
      Snail-mailing it to me on disks!

--
UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!cfchiesa
cfchiesa@bsu-cs.UUCP

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (09/05/89)

In article <10058@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> cfchiesa@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Christopher Chiesa) writes:
> DNET:
>
>   Runs successfully on:
>
>       Ami 500 with 3M memory and 40M hd (Ami side)
>         - "binaries appear to consume about 390 blocks"

I've successfully run DNET (as well as my network file system) on a 512k
one-drive Amiga 1000.

--Doug