[comp.sys.amiga] symbolic math environment for the Amiga

brian@jtsv16.UUCP (Brian A. Jarvis) (08/28/89)

'Lo, folks!

I've starting doing a little math research in my spare time (Some social
life! B{), but have run into a bit of a hitch...

Can anyone out there recomment a symbolic mathematics software package
which can support manipulation of a number of rather pathological polynomials?
Matrix handling and a graphing mechanism are also necessary.  Graph and
data printing would be useful.

I have currently only an Amiga 500, but if there is a software package
capable of what I need, I'll be able to justify to myself the extra costs
of upgrading to the 2000.

I am aware of Mathematica for some systems and U of Waterloo's Maple
packages; I've even used Maple *at* Waterloo, but I've never seen an
Amiga version or a description of necessary hardware.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

   __                         __	Brian A. Jarvis,
  /  )  ...jtsv16!brian      /  )	J.T.S. Computer Systems Ltd.,
 /--<  __  o __.  ____      /--/	Downsview, Ontario
/___/_/ (_<_(_/|_/ / <_    /  ( o	My dog, Goof, still says "Hi!"

      A toast - "To our wives and sweethearts:  may they never meet!"

kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (08/29/89)

In article <1092@jtsv16.UUCP>, brian@jtsv16.UUCP (Brian A. Jarvis) writes:

> I am aware of Mathematica for some systems and U of Waterloo's Maple
> packages; I've even used Maple *at* Waterloo, but I've never seen an
> Amiga version or a description of necessary hardware.

Maple does run on the Amiga.  I haven't used it yet (on the Amiga or
anything else).  But I received a nice info package by mailing a
request to:  maple@watmath.waterloo.edu  (also you can try
wmsi@watmum.waterloo.edu).

Why isn't this reply via mail? (Inquiring minds want to know.)
I would be interested in seeing a posting from someone who
has used Maple on the Amiga.  A review; a comparison to (any)
other such packages on the Amiga; etc.

Ken

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet || UUCP]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) (08/31/89)

In article <1092@jtsv16.UUCP>, brian@jtsv16.UUCP (Brian A. Jarvis) writes:
> 'Lo, folks!
>
> I've starting doing a little math research in my spare time (Some social
> life! B{), but have run into a bit of a hitch...
>
> Can anyone out there recomment a symbolic mathematics software package
> which can support manipulation of a number of rather pathological polynomials?
> Matrix handling and a graphing mechanism are also necessary.  Graph and
> data printing would be useful.
>
> I have currently only an Amiga 500, but if there is a software package
> capable of what I need, I'll be able to justify to myself the extra costs
> of upgrading to the 2000.
>
> I am aware of Mathematica for some systems and U of Waterloo's Maple
> packages; I've even used Maple *at* Waterloo, but I've never seen an
> Amiga version or a description of necessary hardware.
>
> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

I'm just in the final throws of deciding to order MAPLE to run on an
A2500.

If you send email to Joyce Brennan at wmsi@watmum.uwaterloo.ca
(phone 519 747-2373) and ask for an information packet & mention
that you're interested in the Amiga version in particular, you
should have all the info you want shortly thereafter.

The current version on the Amiga is supposed to be 4.2.
It runs on an A1000, so it aught to run on a 500.
You probably need 1M RAM, & a system without a hard disk
might not be exactly wonderful to use.

I'm planning to process the LaTeX output from MAPLE with
AmigaTeX, and print the postscript graphs on an HP DeskJet Plus
using PrintScript.

I could type reams of stuff at you out of the pamphlets, but
a) other netreaders would get bored
b) you can get the info direct from the beaver's mouth
3) if you do b) it should help encourage the MAPLE folks
that it's worthwhile bumping up the priority of Amigas in
the list of machines to get MAPLE 4.3 running on.
(hey, the cray 2 is still at version 4.0)

> /___/_/ (_<_(_/|_/ / <_    /  ( o	My dog, Goof, still says "Hi!"

Not to my cat, Leather, he'd better not. :-)

--
Hugh D. Gamble (416) 581-4354 (wk), 267-6159 (hm) (Std. Disclaimers)
hugh@censor, kink!hugh@censor

ricom@microsoft.UUCP (Rico Mariani) (09/04/89)

In article <971@censor.UUCP> hugh@censor.UUCP (Hugh D. Gamble) writes:

>The current version on the Amiga is supposed to be 4.2.
>It runs on an A1000, so it aught to run on a 500.
>You probably need 1M RAM, & a system without a hard disk
>might not be exactly wonderful to use.

Not only is it supposed to be Maple 4.2 but it actually is Maple 4.2
(surprise!).  Maple is "well behaved", it will run on all sorts
of Amigas with all sort of kickstarts, it might even still run under
v1.1 but I never tested it there.  You must have a hard drive or some
other mass storage device which can hold the whole Maple library (2
or 3 megabytes -- can't remember off hand).  I even know of one person
who is using the Ameristar Ethernet and gets the libraries etc.  over
NFS.  If you plan on doing any meaningful computations with Maple,
you should have at least 1 megabyte of memory.  It will work with less
but you'll basically get a lot of out of memory messages when you least
want them.  For very large/recursive computations I've set just the
stack to be 300k!  But I digress...

I would be very disappointed if there was any reasonable hardware configuration
which Amiga Maple would not run on.  Current or future.

	-Rico

P.S.  Hi Hugh!

P.P.S.  Hi Mom!

---

Disclaimer:  Microsoft has precisely nothing to do with Maple, SCG or WMSI.
	     I just happen to work here now.  So there.

rico@dehn. (Rico Tudor) (09/05/89)

I share an office with a co-developer of Mathematica.  As an experiment,
we ported the code to my Amiga running Amix (Sys V UNIX).  Although the
port was successful, the company (Wolfram Research) appears uninterested
in shipping such a product, either for Amix or AmigaDOS.  Perhaps they
want to see evidence of popular demand: send your's to
	wri!henry		or
	henry@math.nwu.edu