[comp.sys.amiga] Cheap scsi drives was Re: Arrggh - Hard drive dead

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (09/05/89)

In article bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:

>My ST251 died  (no, not stiction, it died while I was compiling ) and
>	- where?  Where can I get a reasonable price on a midsized  ( 40-80 M)
>	  SCSI _fast_ hard drive?  No more of this ADAPTEC4000+ST506-type
>	  crap - tooooooo ssslllllooooowwwww ....

Computer Surplus out here has 140M scsi 25msec 5 1/4 HH for about $600 each.
I've had one hooked up to my sun2 (needed to replace an aging micropolis)
for about 10 days now. After signing my MC slip the salesment asked me
where I was going to mount it and said I should make sure it is ventilated
since these drives run on the warm side (operationally that is).

This is NOT a reccomendation, rather it is a request for info on whether
the drive I already purchased has a history of problems. Can anyone lend
some experience?  If it turns out to be reliable then I don't think you will
find a better deal as far as $/mbyte cause this one is about 4$/mbyte.

One problem I did have: I took the termination resisters out since it was
not going to be the last drive in the system. After plugging it in along
with Adaptec4000 scsi interface it blew a fuse on the CAST. I took it back
and they said I should not having taken the termination pack out! So I
guess you can really only have one of these in a system. I made it the
last drive and it is working fine. A system of only CAST drives may work
just fine though.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale