[comp.sys.amiga] How do you pronounce #?

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (08/31/89)

I don't know about you, but I often find myself discussing my
latest dos, rexx, or wshell hacks, and needing to say something
like: "... so I set it to expand #?.c when I hit alt-c ..."

How do you pronounce #?.  I can pronounce '#', and I can pronounce '?', but
I can't manage to say '#?'.

So far, I've been saying "star" or "star-dot-c."  Not everybody
understands that one.

Sometimes people say "squish."  I kind of like that.

How about "Hatch-huh?" as an idiom?

All these problems are really getting to me.

Just to be fashionable, here's an amigados v1.4 request:

    Let me make aliases for wildcard expressions.  I'm getting
    tired of typing #?.(c|h|asm).  Maybe I should just assign it
    to a function key.

And, in the interest of wildcard expansion technology, here's a
rexx script named '!.rexx' which forces wildcard expansion on programs
that don't have it, such as the 'Z' editor from Manx.

"Z *.c" and "Z #?.c" don't work, but if you have !.rexx,

    ! Z #?.c

Will replace the command line with the expanded "Z foo.c bar.c",
*let you edit it some more*, and then execute when you hit return again.

It's minor modification of expand.rexx I got from bix.  I must
have been missing a piece of that one: it didn't work.

/* !.rexx - expand wildcards for commands 		*/
/* wshell, conman, and execio required, I think		*/

parse arg	files

out = ""
do i = 1 to words(files)
	pat = word(files, i)
	if verify(pat, '#?', 'Match') = 0 then
		out = out pat
	else do
		'list nohead quick'  pat '| execio stem lines.'
		do j = 1 to lines.0
			out = out lines.j
			end
		end
	end

dropbuf		/* just to be sure */
force out

break_c:
	dropbuf
	return ""

--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"... the signs are very ominous,
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          and a chill wind blows."

jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu (08/31/89)

In article <4481@amiga.UUCP>, jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
> I don't know about you, but I often find myself discussing my
> latest dos, rexx, or wshell hacks, and needing to say something
> like: "... so I set it to expand #?.c when I hit alt-c ..."
>
> How do you pronounce #?.  I can pronounce '#', and I can pronounce '?', but
> I can't manage to say '#?'.
>
> So far, I've been saying "star" or "star-dot-c."  Not everybody
> understands that one.

I would just say "... so I set it to expand number-question-point-c when I hit
alt-c ..." I only say "star" if it really is one (an asterisk), but since in
AmigaDos that's not always the case (unless using Arp or some similar shell
sort of deal) then you're probably better off with the full expansion.
--
James A. Treworgy
jtreworgy@eagle.wesleyan.edu

charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) (09/01/89)

> How do you pronounce #?.  I can pronounce '#', and I can pronounce
> '?', but I can't manage to say '#?'.

I'd say "hash-question".  But your mileage may vary.

> Just to be fashionable, here's an amigados v1.4 request:
>     Let me make aliases for wildcard expressions.  I'm getting
>     tired of typing #?.(c|h|asm).  Maybe I should just assign it
>     to a function key.
>--
> Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	"... the signs are very ominous,

Ooo!  I like that!
--
	Charles Brown	charles@cv.hp.com or charles%hpcvca@hplabs.hp.com
			or hplabs!hpcvca!charles or "Hey you!"

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (09/02/89)

In article <5660057@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes:
>> How do you pronounce #?.  I can pronounce '#', and I can pronounce
>> '?', but I can't manage to say '#?'.
>
>I'd say "hash-question".  But your mileage may vary.

I've always found "question" to be a pain to have to say over and over.  When I
was a yungun and talked tech with my friends all the time, we pronounced the
question mark "what" (e.g. #? is "hash-what").

I have a bad feeling that someone is going to post the pronunciation guide from
_The Hacker's Dictionary_ any minute now.  Makes interesting reading, but this
isn't exactly the group for it (at least the hash-what discussion has
*some* specific relatedness to the Amiga :-).
--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner

givler@cbmvax.UUCP (Greg Givler - QA) (09/05/89)

In article <5660057@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM> charles@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Charles Brown) writes:
>> How do you pronounce #?.  I can pronounce '#', and I can pronounce
>> '?', but I can't manage to say '#?'.
>
>I'd say "hash-question".  But your mileage may vary.

I was told it is: Octothorp(sp?), Question Mark.

But I come from the old CBM School

Pound Sign, Question Mark.

Greg
Greg Givler                        Q-Link: GregGivler
QA Analyst                         CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore QA (Software)            GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100                       INTERNET: givler@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com
"Life is pain, Highness, anyone who says differently is selling something"
 - The Dread Pirate Roberts -- The Princess Bride