[comp.sys.amiga] Sizes of IFF version of Neptune Voyager Pix

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (09/03/89)

In article <2641@tymix.UUCP> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>One other warning: Fred Fish put a note on the version of uncompress in
>his library that states that uncompress sometimes fails to uncompress
>large files.  Symptoms are: 1) infinite loop writing garbage to the disk,
>2) trashed free-list (AVAIL reports 29megabytes of memory free), or
>3) all floppy drive select lights go on and the Amiga hangs.  I am having
>problems with spots, tritonwhole, and twocresc.

My problem was that I forgot to tell FTP to use binary mode.
I'm surprised that 'triton', 'crater', and 'whole' came thru without the
usual CRLF<->LF mangling.  On the second attempt, everything uncompressed
to 307200 bytes like they were supposed to.  They are much smaller when
saved as IFF.  The following table shows their original size (raw format
as compressed *.Z) and the size when stored as IFF hires 640x480x16-gray.

name          raw.Z    IFF
-----------   -----  -----
bigtriton     60067  96590 Triton, full screen, 2/3 N hemi, 1/3 S hemisphere
crater        55420 104034 Triton, small crater lower middle, full screen
file1       1114331  60072 Neptune, crescent, JPL display
file2           ---  79456 Neptune, full, white equatorial clouds, JPL, great!
file3           ---  85820 Neptune, full, Dark Spot, JPL display, garbled
file4           --- 102268 Triton, mountain ridges, JPL display
file5           ---  92440 Triton, smooth areas, JPL display, garbled twice
file6           ---  83734 Neptune's rings, JPL display, garbled at top
file7           ---  60864 Sunrise highlighting the rings, JPL, great!
spots         54952  94580 Dark spots light borders, full screen, Triton
triton        48446  63014 Triton, full screen, part of northern hemisphere
tritonwhole  169178  72884 Triton, full sphere, JPL display, garbled bottom
twocresc     144731  63380 Neptune & Triton as crescents, JPL display, garble
whole         26957  53234 Neptune, full sphere, whole display
newsweek.ham  45535  32508 Neptune, color, Dark Spot and clouds
  Files:15   Blocks:2265  Bytes:1144878  (more than 880K)

It looks like the HAM picture came from the cover of Newsweek.
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

<554@tardis.Tymnet.COM>
In article <554@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
> [about the neptune/triton pix available anon-ftp]

How about if someone took the time to send these pics to the
kilowatt archive server for us poor people with no internet connections?

Please?

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
As far as we know, our computer has never had an undetected error.