[comp.sys.amiga] MultiMedia Applications

amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) (09/05/89)

martin@iros52.iro.umontreal.ca (Daniel Martin) writes:
>In article <195156@neabbs.UUCP> amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) writes:

>>   Now what about touch-screens and laser disks for the Amiga, are they
>>   availble ? I know there was some sort of inter-active Amiga system
>>   developed once and it was called The Mandala system but never ever
>>   heard a tinny little bit about it.
>>
>   [ .... ]
>    I should point out that MacIntosh is devoting A LOT of money to develop
> interesting new multimedia applications.  They produced recently a Laser
> disk of Hypercard applications comming with it.  To see how apple is
> devoted to Interactive applications, just look at CD-ROM3 book of
> MicroSoft Press "Interactive MultiMedia", edited by Sueann Ambron and
> Kristina Hooper.  Very Impressing, and no Amigas in sight.  I may say that
> it won't take long to recover the video market hold by the amiga, if bold
> steps are not take.

   The fact I got only one reply (yours, and thanks) gave me the impression
   there is not a whole lot to do with the Amiga in this particulair area,
   maybe this isn't the right place to discuss the subject I don't know
   but I can't see DTV (DeskTopVideo) without multimedia applications.

   Word about Apple : They're slaming developers (and the market) with buzz
   words like DTV, Interactive Video, laser disks, Hyper media, etc. etc.
   and they really support you if you're in this area, nuff said ?

   Anyone knows if bix is the right place ? If so that would be the reason
   to finally subscribe, although we're overseas :-{

  -* Michel ----- RoachaToyllah of Lightnin' Roach AppRoach test labs
      hp4nl!neabbs!amichel@uunet.uu.net | Just speaking for myself.

In <124185@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, jcb@frisbee.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) writes:
>	I was working on, and demoing, a multimedia system that used
>the Amiga and Genlocked videodisk with my product InfoMinder. There

Yeah, I remember InfoMinder. That was the one with no freely distributable
reader, marketed by a company that would rather spend time whining about the
harm being done to them by the critics who pointed this out to them than to
answer those criticisms with action. They did the same thing with the Pal box,
ignoring those that told them it was too high priced for the market, and
grumbling that people didn't appreciate the quality.

>	I am *not* interested in lots of flames over this, it is my
>impression of CBM as of two to four years ago (85-87). They may be
>better now, but I am no longer interested in promoting their products.

Don't take this as a flame against you, personally, but rather as an airing of
one of my pet peeves about a product that I wanted to see succeed, and watched
while it was driven into the ground by a lack of monney on CBM's part and a
deaf ear on the part of the people who were marketing it.

I don't think you can reasonably lay all the blame at Commodore's feet.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

jcb@frisbee.Sun.COM (Jim Becker) (09/06/89)

amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) writes:

->martin@iros52.iro.umontreal.ca (Daniel Martin) writes:
->>In article <195156@neabbs.UUCP> amichel@neabbs.UUCP (MICHEL LANGEREIS) writes:
->>>
->>> ...
->>>
->>>   Now what about touch-screens and laser disks for the Amiga, are they
->>>   availble ? I know there was some sort of inter-active Amiga system
->>>   developed once and it was called The Mandala system but never ever
->>>   heard a tinny little bit about it.
->>>
->>   [ .... ]
->>    I should point out that MacIntosh is devoting A LOT of money to develop
->> interesting new multimedia applications.  They produced recently a Laser
->> disk of Hypercard applications comming with it.  To see how apple is
->> devoted to Interactive applications, just look at CD-ROM3 book of
->> MicroSoft Press "Interactive MultiMedia", edited by Sueann Ambron and
->> Kristina Hooper.  Very Impressing, and no Amigas in sight.  I may say that
->> it won't take long to recover the video market hold by the amiga, if bold
->> steps are not take.
->
->
->   The fact I got only one reply (yours, and thanks) gave me the impression
->   there is not a whole lot to do with the Amiga in this particulair area,
->   maybe this isn't the right place to discuss the subject I don't know
->   but I can't see DTV (DeskTopVideo) without multimedia applications.
->
->   Word about Apple : They're slaming developers (and the market) with buzz
->   words like DTV, Interactive Video, laser disks, Hyper media, etc. etc.
->   and they really support you if you're in this area, nuff said ?
->
->  -* Michel ----- RoachaToyllah of Lightnin' Roach AppRoach test labs
->      hp4nl!neabbs!amichel@uunet.uu.net | Just speaking for myself.

	I was working on, and demoing, a multimedia system that used
the Amiga and Genlocked videodisk with my product InfoMinder. There
were cooperation processes that handled all the different medias that
the Amiga provides: text, graphics, sound, music, animation, videodisk,
filesystem stuff, multiple screens and windows.  Probably the
highlight of this was showing some of this on Computer Chronicles,
with access to the National Gallery of Art videodisk. This was a
little over two years ago. The system had some of the same concepts as
hypercard, but a different approach to the information access.

	The Genlock came out six or eight months later (two years
late?), and the Pal box harddisk/memory never went into the mass
market. There was no support from Commodore (although they used a
version of InfoMinder to ship the AutoDocs) and eventually I had to
give up on this effort. Hypercard had come out and was supported and
hyped by Apple in a big way.

	The major difference between trying to do a product such as
this on the Mac vs. the Amiga is that Apple really supports their
stuff, and since they make their money on the hardware they can be
"good guys" and give away all the software in the world for free.
Since Commodore treats the market in a different way, and treats their
support efforts in a different way, they make it difficult for
companies to make sophisticated products that they can regain their
investment on.

	From a hardware perspective there is still no peer to the
Amiga, but from a perception point of view HyperCard and the Mac is
the best thing going. When I eventually gave up on CBM and the Amiga
Apple had already given away 250,000 copies of HyperCard and they had
swarms of devote followers of the HyperCard creed. I still think that
better solutions can be done with the Amiga, but the question is how
to do it with a machine that is supported by CBM. How does one make a
living selling on a little known machine against a "free" package from
a well known company on a widely loved computer?

	I am *not* interested in lots of flames over this, it is my
impression of CBM as of two to four years ago (85-87). They may be
better now, but I am no longer interested in promoting their products.
I still think that the Amiga crew was the most remarkable bunch of
people that I have ever seen in one place, and that the Amiga is a
fantastic machine. It's just that now I understand more about
business, rather than just technophobia. :-)

-Jim Becker

ex-president
Terrapin Software

--
<>  Jim Becker / jcb@frisbee%sun.com  / Sun Microsystems   <>
<>  ...these are my opinions, and even my id disagrees..   <>