[comp.sys.amiga] Keyboard Fix

kbhagia@dasys1.UUCP (Kamlesh Bhagia) (09/05/89)

Hello, All!

I know this problem has been covered before so please bear with me...

My friend just replaced his Amiga 2000 cherry keyboard (small function keys)
with a new keyboard that has large function keys.  The problem is that when-
ever the Amiga is cold or warm booted, the keyboard ignores the very first
keystroke.  For example if control-D is held to down to abort the startup-
sequence, a series of letter 'd' will appear on the screen.  Does anyone
remember the solution to this problem?  Thanx.

-krb-

leeg@mcrware.UUCP (Lee Glen) (09/06/89)

In article <10629@dasys1.UUCP> kbhagia@dasys1.UUCP (Kamlesh Bhagia) writes:

>My friend just replaced his Amiga 2000 cherry keyboard (small function keys)
>with a new keyboard that has large function keys.  The problem is that when-
>ever the Amiga is cold or warm booted, the keyboard ignores the very first
>keystroke.  For example if control-D is held to down to abort the startup-
>sequence, a series of letter 'd' will appear on the screen.  Does anyone
>remember the solution to this problem?  Thanx.

I've had this problem since I bought my 2000 about 1-1/2 years ago.  I've
learned to live with it, but would like to learn to live WITHOUT it.  Please
post the fix!

Thanks,

Lee

hunt@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Lee Cameron Hunt) (09/07/89)

In article <1335@mcrware.UUCP> leeg@mcrware.UUCP (Lee Glenn) writes:
>In article <10629@dasys1.UUCP> kbhagia@dasys1.UUCP (Kamlesh Bhagia) writes:
>>
>>My friend just replaced his Amiga 2000 cherry keyboard (small function keys)
>>with a new keyboard that has large function keys.  The problem is that when-
>>ever the Amiga is cold or warm booted, the keyboard ignores the very first
>>keystroke.  (etc...)

I got this message in conjunction with a problem I appeared to have with
my REV 6 (Obese Agnus) board:

daveh@cbmvax.commodore.com (Dave Haynie) writes:

(stuff deleted)

- The problem you heard of an earlier "timing problem" on older 2000s seems
  to have been exaggerated quite a bit.  The original 2000s were shipped in
  conjunction with a keyboard made by Cherry in West Germany.  These keyboards
  had very strong output drivers which caused lots of noise, and to pass the
  FCC tests, our FCC engineers had placed an extra set of bypass capacitors
  on the keyboard lines.  When production switched over to the more common
  (these day) HiTek keyboard (which is very similar internally to the
  A1000 keyboard design), these capacitors were no longer necessary, but they
  didn't immediately get the word to remove them in production.  The HiTek
  keyboard used different drivers that were occasionally marginal with these
  extra capacitors.  Generally, the CIA that reads the keyboard would get
  confused on powerup and the first keystroke in a CLI window could be
  missed.  This didn't effect mouse operation at all, and in most cases, the
  missed first keystroke was the extent of the problem.  That was fixed long
  ago in production.

(stuff deleted)

-Dave Haynie

Sorry this isn't more specific, but I hope it helps.

--Lee