[comp.sys.amiga] UltraCard Browser & Stacks

nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) (08/13/89)

Seems to me there was some talk about the demo version or browser or
whatever it was being posted a while back.  Has this appeared somewhere
or is someone keeping stacks somewhere?  Haven't seen anything new in
comp.binaries.amiga for quite some time...it wasn't there was it?

Is it feasible for someone to post or email a copy?  Thanks...

Ned Schultz     nschultz@polyslo.calpoly.edu

wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (William Dimm) (08/15/89)

I have been watching all of this talk about UltraCard without a clue
about what it is.  Could someone post a brief description for those
of us who don't use Macs (thank God)?
  //  Bill Dimm  wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU   wcd0@lehigh.BITNET
\X/     "It's not the facts but the explanation that counts." - unknown

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/17/89)

In article <609@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> wdimm@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (William Dimm) writes:
>I have been watching all of this talk about UltraCard without a clue
>about what it is.  Could someone post a brief description for those
>of us who don't use Macs (thank God)?

For those of you who haven't seen the July issue of Amazing Computing,
I'll describe version 1.01a of UltraCard.

When you click on UltraCard's icon, it starts up the "Control Room" stack.
It displays a backdrop (an IFF picture) that has four large light blue
squares.  Then it overlays the backdrop with the label "Control Room" in
red along the bottom, and puts buttons in the squares.  The buttons are
dark blue with white borders and a black dropshadow and the letters are in
a font other than Topaz.  (The size, shape, and location of the buttons can
be changed, as can the color, outline color, severity of backdrop, and font.)

The button in the upper left box is marked "Programs".  When you click on
it, a digitized sound sample goes "swoosh" and the narrator device says
"You can create a new frame like a stack frame and install your favorite
programs."  The button in the lower left marked "Ideas!" causes the Amiga
to say "Call the Intuitive Technologies BBS for more stacks".

The two buttons on the right are labeled "Stacks" and "More" and are
gateways to new frames.  They restore the backdrop to its original condition
(minus the title and the previous buttons), then go to a new frame that puts
up a new set of buttons on the backdrop.  After clicking the "More" button
you are sent to a frame that allows you to define which programs are to be
invoked.  There is a new button at the bottom of the screen (taking almost
all the width) that gives instructions when clicked.  If you click on the
button marked "Paint", it sets a global variable inside of UltraCard.  This
variable is the name of the program to be run when a stack frame wants to
run a paint program.  (Global variables are writting to disk so that they
retain their values between runs.)  There is also a white arrow on the
screen which will return you to the previous frame.

Going back to the main Control Room frame, if you click on the "Stacks"
button, it also resets the backdrop and then shows four new buttons;
"Ultradex", "Calender", "Help", and "Open..".  Selecting "Ultradex" puts you
in a Name & Addresses database.  (The Ultradex screen is hi-res (all others
I've mentioned were lo-res) and has all sorts of different buttons.)
Selecting "Calender" brings up a calender with special days marked.  (On
this hi-res screen, each day of the month is a separate button - clicking on
that button brings up notes for that day.)  Selecting "Open.." brings up
a file requester which allows you to select a new stack.  (On the demo
disk, the available stacks are ControlRoom, Ultradex, Calender, and Help.)

If you select "Help", it jumps to a frame with a new backdrop with a
flowchart the recommends that you select the following:
  first: "About Help"
  second: any one or all of "Menus", "Keyboard", "Objects", "UltraTalk"
  third: either "Index" or "HowTo".

The "About Help" button's behaviour is something new:  As long as you keep
the left mouse button down, a previously invisible box pops into view with
instructions.  As soon as you let up on the mouse button, the instruction
box returns to invisibility.  The other buttons on this help screen bring up
scrolling text gadgets that allow you to read descriptions that are bigger
than a window.

By now you should have noticed a problem I have had in trying to describe
all this.  For a new frame, should I describe everything in view and then
go into detail, or should I describe the first object in detail, including
its sub-objects before going back to the second main object?

That, in essence, is what hyper-text is all about.  The user doesn't have
to follow a linear sequence of descriptions like in a book.  By clicking
on whatever looks interesting, one can down several levels, up, over, and
jump all around at whim.

Another product for the Amiga, "Thinker", is primarily hyper-text.  For the
most part, you can click on words or phrases to bring up screens of more
words and phrases.  UltraCard and HyperCard are hyper-media - clicking on
a word can bring up a picture, a sound, an animation, or just about anything
else.

              ----------------------------------

The following is my interpretation of how UltraCard works.  Please excuse
any inaccuracies - I'm trying to get the general ideas across.

In UltraCard, a Stack is a collection of Frames.  There is a script for the
stack, where you can tell UltraCard what to do when entering the stack (such
as copying files to RAM:) and when leaving the stack (such as deleting those
files from RAM:).  A Frame consists of a BackDrop and collection of Objects
(including Buttons and Windows).  Several frames can share a common
backdrop.  There is a script executed when entering and leaving the backdrop
and one for entering and leaving the frame.

Programming the buttons (Objects) is the most interesting.  One section of
the object's script is executed when the left mouse button is pressed, the
other section is executed when the left mouse button is released.  Things
you can do in the script include playing an audio sample, saying text via
the Amiga's narrator.device, setting internal variables (such as the
visibility of another object), running a program (launched as WorkBench
would have done), and executing a CLI command.  There is also IF/ELSE/ENDIF,
arithmetic operations, string operations, JUMP TO FRAME, GetFileName,
keypress detection, and once a second/minute/hour ticks.

That's just the object's script.  The object can be a rectange/square or a
circle/ellipse.  It can be transparent, opaque with selectable color or an
IFF brush.  It can have no outline, or 1 to 3 lines surrounding it.  It can
a drop shadow of none, light, medium, heavy.  The colors of the outline and
drop shadow are independently setable.  Objects which are simply clicked
upon can have their name inside or outside the object.  You can choose the
font, color, underlining, etc.  An object can have a value, such as the
string of digits in a "Phone Number" object.  A scrollbar options is available
for text whose size exceeds the boundaries of the object.  (Each object can
have a different font, but all the text inside a given object must be the
same font.)

With UltraCard, you can quickly define a full-screen menu that will run
your favorite program when the appropriate button is selected.  Since
the "source code" to the stacks are embedded in the stack's file, you can
customize the existing stacks.  Change the colors, change the fonts, even
do something like modify the name and addresses database stack to display
a small IFF picture of the person whose name is being displayed.

Does that answer the question?  :-)
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (08/18/89)

In article <514@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:

   The button in the lower left marked "Ideas!" causes the Amiga
   to say "Call the Intuitive Technologies BBS for more stacks".

That's interesting, because I tried calling the Intuitive Technologies
BBS and nothing answered the phone on the other end.  Has anybody else
had success calling this BBS?  Are there enough goodies on it to make
it worth my trouble?  I was looking for a more recent version of the
Browser, myself.

			--M

--
Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
			portuesi@SGI.COM

In <PORTUESI.89Aug18094811@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>In article <514@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>
>   The button in the lower left marked "Ideas!" causes the Amiga
>   to say "Call the Intuitive Technologies BBS for more stacks".
>

>That's interesting, because I tried calling the Intuitive Technologies
>BBS and nothing answered the phone on the other end.  Has anybody else
>had success calling this BBS?  Are there enough goodies on it to make
>it worth my trouble?  I was looking for a more recent version of the
>Browser, myself.

That's funny... it doesn't do anything on mine. Other scripts that use 'say'
work fine (well, I hate the voice stuff, and have been removing it as I find
it), but the 'Ideas...' one does nothing at all. Of course, as with all the
other gadgets in this program, you have no way of knowing if it's doing
something or not unless you wait long enough to either see what happens or
decide that nothing is going to happen.

Best thing Intuitive could do right now is to hire someone who knows what a
good user interface is.

-larry

--
"So what the hell are we going to do with a Sun?" - Darlene Phillips -

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/23/89)

In article <PORTUESI.89Aug18094811@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>That's interesting, because I tried calling the Intuitive Technologies
>BBS and nothing answered the phone on the other end.  Has anybody else
>had success calling this BBS?  Are there enough goodies on it to make
>it worth my trouble?  I was looking for a more recent version of the
>Browser, myself.

I finally got thru today and picked up version 1.11 of the UltraCard Browser.

Last week their "phone droid" said that due to erratic power, the BBS had
been shut down.  It looks like it came back alive around 3am August 21st.
The new phone droid message says "if you get this message while dialing
the BBS, it means that someone else is actively using the system".  It's
a strange phone system, where it sends you to the main business line instead
of giving you a busy signal.

The BBS is (408)646-9260, the voice line is (408)646-9147.
--

ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP (Robin C. LaPasha) (08/23/89)

In article <533@tardis.Tymnet.COM>, jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
> In article <PORTUESI.89Aug18094811@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
> >That's interesting, because I tried calling the Intuitive Technologies
> >BBS and nothing answered the phone on the other end.  Has anybody else
> >had success calling this BBS?  Are there enough goodies on it to make
>
> Last week their "phone droid" said that due to erratic power, the BBS had
> been shut down.  It looks like it came back alive around 3am August 21st.
[It's]
> a strange phone system, where it sends you to the main business line instead
> of giving you a busy signal.
>
> The BBS is (408)646-9260, the voice line is (408)646-9147.

I tried calling the voice line yesterday (8/22) and got a carrier
signal.  Just for jollies, I tried hooking up to it, but couldn't
get a connect.  Don't know; maybe it suddenly became a fax line?

Actually, the reason I called was to try and find out why I
don't have my copy of UltraCard yet.  Has anyone else been waiting
for an order from them?

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Robin LaPasha               |Deep-Six your

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (08/26/89)

In article <7552@ecsvax.UUCP> ruslan@ecsvax.UUCP (Robin C. LaPasha) writes:
>Actually, the reason I called was to try and find out why I
>don't have my copy of UltraCard yet.  Has anyone else been waiting
>for an order from them?
Well it took about four weeks and I got my ultracard. Remember this is
a small outfit, they are going to wait for your check to clear i bet,
and there are sure to be other delays. I notice that the manual mentions
two disks and i only had one in the bag; can anybody tell me one way or
another how many you should get?
   BTW i doubt they can afford a phone droid; you were probably talking
to one of the developers ...
   As for the product:
*************************I LOVE IT*******************************
It is really neat. One thing i *HATED* about hypercard was it took over the
machine (in good Macintosh fashion, of course). You may have had a
favorite paint program or editor, but you were stuck with whatever tools
there were in hypercard if you didn't want to leave hypercard. Yuck.
   Following amiga rules, ultracard is a good multi-tasking
citizen; you can tell it to invoke your favorite editor on scripts,
for example, and edit scripts with emacs. And so on. Yes it has gurued
on me but what the hell ... it is version 1.11. Give these folks a chance,
I really think this thing is going to be a winner, if they can just make
it through the start-up company nightmare. If you want to play with this
now, and if you want to support a company that is bringing a real important
product to the Amiga market, you might want to buy it.
ron
disclaimer: i didn't write UltraTalk, i don't own 400,000 shares of
            of intuitive stock, and hell, i live on the east coast
            anyways: i don't know anybody important.

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (08/28/89)

In article <13457@super.ORG> rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:

      Following amiga rules, ultracard is a good multi-tasking
   citizen; you can tell it to invoke your favorite editor on scripts,
   for example, and edit scripts with emacs. And so on. Yes it has gurued
   on me but what the hell ... it is version 1.11. Give these folks a chance,

I dialed up the Intuitive Technologies BBS over the weekend, and
downloaded the newest version of the Browser (1.11) plus the stacks
supplied with it.

After the machine gurued when I clicked on a button in the Help stack,
I rebooted and tried again.  I clicked on "Programs" in the Control
room and got a requestor saying "Ultrabench not found" (whatever
Ultrabench is -- the browser didn't come with a README file).
Clicking on other buttons in the Control Room crashed the machine.

After going through the crash-reboot cycle a few times, I just gave
up.  At this point I will buy UltraCard only if Intuitive Technologies
offers a liberal update policy.  I really want to buy this product,
but I want it to be at least halfway dependable.

In case it matters, I am running on a 2.5 MB A1000 with Dmouse 1.10,
FaccII, ARexx 1.10, ConMan 1.3, and jazzbench (I think that's
everything).  I dumped all the software into a directory on my hard
disk and issued "assign ultra: user:ucarddemo". I put the sample
stacks in a subdirectory labeled "stacks" as the UCard Browser
expected.  I'm not sure what else should be expected of me to make the
program work properly.

				--M

------

PERSONAL MESSAGE to Valentin:  I tried sending replies to your mail on
Friday, but evidently you did not receive them.  I just tried sending
you another message today (Monday).  Let me know if it gets to you.

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.
			portuesi@SGI.COM

  "$16,000!  And all he wanted to do was dip us in plaster!"

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (08/29/89)

In article <13457@super.ORG> rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:

> *************************I LOVE IT*******************************
> It is really neat. One thing i *HATED* about hypercard was it took over the
> machine (in good Macintosh fashion, of course).

Not quite.  You could run Hypercard under Multifinder, and run other
applications as well, *if* you had a whole lot of RAM.

Hypercard is 389K in size (not counting the stack sizes which can get
huge too).

How big is UltraCard?  How big do the stacks get?  Can you run
Ultracard + some reasonably sized stacks on a 1 meg Amiga?

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

darin@nova.laic.uucp (Darin Johnson) (08/30/89)

Quick question.  Since I was unable to get onto the UltraCard
BBS (and won't, since I am moving, and long distance calls
to a BBS don't jive with a students budget), how does one become
a registered user?  There was no card in the package, and no mention
of how to register ones self.  I assumed that there may be some
sort of registration on the BBS (which is a stupid idea if true -
people in other countries may spend more money calling the BBS
then the package cost).

Darin Johnson (leadsv!laic!darin@pyramid.pyramid.com)
	We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

UD092096@NDSUVM1.BITNET (Barry Pederson) (08/30/89)

The UltraCard browser sounds pretty nifty, is it available anywhere for
anonymous FTP?

Thanks,
-------
Barry Pederson    ud092096@vm1.nodak.edu   or   ud092096@ndsuvm1.BITNET

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (08/31/89)

In article <PORTUESI.89Aug28094422@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>After the machine gurued when I clicked on a button in the Help stack,
>I rebooted and tried again.  I clicked on "Programs" in the Control
>room and got a requestor saying "Ultrabench not found" (whatever
>Ultrabench is -- the browser didn't come with a README file).
>Clicking on other buttons in the Control Room crashed the machine.
1) Assign ultrabench: <wherever-you-run-the-program-from>
2) make sure your stack is big.
3) You are running a fair amount of Other Stuff. Maybe you can assume
   that the problem is UltraCard. On the other hand, maybe it is an
   interaction between UltraCard and the Other Stuff.
4) I haven't crashed it just by browsing- just by writing things.
ron

ruslan@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (09/01/89)

In article <66130@linus.UUCP>, sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:
> In article <13457@super.ORG> rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
> > *************************I LOVE IT*******************************
> > It is really neat. One thing i *HATED* about hypercard was it took over the
> > machine (in good Macintosh fashion, of course).
>
> Not quite.  You could run Hypercard under Multifinder, and run other
> applications as well, *if* you had a whole lot of RAM.
>
> Hypercard is 389K in size (not counting the stack sizes which can get
> huge too).
>
> How big is UltraCard?  How big do the stacks get?  Can you run
> Ultracard + some reasonably sized stacks on a 1 meg Amiga?

The program itself (version 1.11) is 235K.  The ControlRoom (I guess
it'd be like the Home stack) is another 116K.  The Browser (the
freely distributable thingie) is 104K.

Some other examples:  the Help stack is 136K (it has 3 or 4 major
subtopics;) while a one-frame stack I built with a 16-color med-res
picture as background (with two objects) was 57K.  (Of course,
that doesn't count showanim and the 425K anim I launched from within
UltraCard via a CLI command...)

Which brings up another issue - according to my text on HyperTalk
(Shafer) you can't get back to HyperCard automatically if you
launch an application under MultiFinder or miniFinder; you get
left back at the system.  But, with the regular Finder everything
is "suspended" until the launched application finishes and returns
you to HyperCard.  I haven't tried "run" or "runback" yet with
UltraCard, but as a normal CLI command it _should_ behave the
same as it usually does (I just am not sure what'll happen ;^)).

In any case, I expect that the ARexx links give a bunch of other
options for what UltraCard can run, grab data from, and otherwise
use - which may explain why Apple is trying to devise something
similar for a 7.0-ish release (according to InfoWorld, they're
building some sort of scripting language to go across apps..)

(Disclaimers - Apple, *Finder, H*Card and H*Talk are probably
all Apple's trademarks of some sort...)
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Robin LaPasha               |Deep-Six your
ruslan@ecsvax.uncecs.edu    |files with VI! ;^) ;^) ;^)

jtm@ncs-med.UUCP (John T. McGibbon) (09/08/89)

  [..)(*#&(*&@*^&%@#&*^%@ (why feed the line eater anything but garbage?!?]

  I am interesed in contacting the company that distributes UltraCard
  but due to a system space problem here (and my not saving the
  not get the informtion posted previously.

  Could some kind soul please E-mail me the phone number/address of
  the outfit?

  Thanks

--
UUCP: jtm@ncs-med.UUCP	-or-  ...{siesmo!rutgers}!umn-cs!ems!pwcs!ncs-med!jtm
John T. McGibbon              -jtm- (612) 936-8505