[comp.sys.amiga] Workbench 1.3 update

I just downloaded the WB1.3 update that is floating around BBS's. But I am
wondering why it hasn't been announced here first? Usually things like this end
up being discussed here in comp.sys.amiga a long time before it hits the
streets. What gives?

But if it is official I have some reservations still. You never can tell
nowadays if something is infected with a virus or not. And such an update seems
like a likely candidate for some wacko to infect. You never can tell if someone
tampered with any of the files in the update or not. And since it comes from
CBM, most people will let their guard down.

So what I would like from CBM is

A> How about a list of files in the update and the file sizes. Still not 100%
safe but better than nothing.

B> Could you send the update to Bob Page? This is the best way to make sure
that we are getting a untouched copy.

---
It's terrible when you have to be paranoid about every software package you get
anymore, isn't it?

"When Everyone is out to get you, Paranoid is just good thinking."

John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
A virtuous life is its own punishment.

In <1131@corpane.UUCP>, sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>I just downloaded the WB1.3 update that is floating around BBS's. But I am
>wondering why it hasn't been announced here first? Usually things like this end
>up being discussed here in comp.sys.amiga a long time before it hits the
>streets. What gives?

What gives is that you have downloaded an illegal copy, for which there is no
guarantee that it is the same as any of the files posted by CBM.

>But if it is official I have some reservations still. You never can tell
>nowadays if something is infected with a virus or not. And such an update seems
>like a likely candidate for some wacko to infect. You never can tell if someone
>tampered with any of the files in the update or not. And since it comes from
>CBM, most people will let their guard down.

It's true that you can never tell, and that it is a likely target for some
mental midget to attach a virus or trojan. I can't agree with your last
statement though. It did _NOT_ come from CBM if you got it on a local BBS. It
_MAY_ have come from someone who downloaded it from a service to which CBM
uploaded it, and it _MAY_ not have been tampered with.

>So what I would like from CBM is
>
>A> How about a list of files in the update and the file sizes. Still not 100%
>safe but better than nothing.

How about getting it from one of the services to which CBM uploaded it? Barring
that, how about checking with your dealer toi see when it will be available
forom him?

>"When Everyone is out to get you, Paranoid is just good thinking."

CBM agrees with you, apparently.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.