[comp.sys.amiga] Arrggh - Hard drive dead

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (09/04/89)

Well, I know there's been tons of discussion on harddrives dying
lately, so I figured I'd add too it! :-)

My ST251 died  (no, not stiction, it died while I was compiling ) and
I would like to buy a new drive ( I'm going to get this thing fixed, most
likely, but I want to replace it too ) so I thought I'd ask you people
the question:

	- where?  Where can I get a reasonable price on a midsized  ( 40-80 M)
	  SCSI _fast_ hard drive?  No more of this ADAPTEC4000+ST506-type
	  crap - tooooooo ssslllllooooowwwww ....

I know someone was also selling some huge Maxtor ( I think ) drives a while
ago - got any more?  :-)

What's the best I can get in the 1000-1500 (Canadian) price range?

Thanx very much,
  Blair
--
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
=   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =

ddave@pnet02.gryphon.com (David Donley) (09/06/89)

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:

>	- where?  Where can I get a reasonable price on a midsized  ( 40-80 M)
>	  SCSI _fast_ hard drive?  No more of this ADAPTEC4000+ST506-type
>	  crap - tooooooo ssslllllooooowwwww ....
>
>What's the best I can get in the 1000-1500 (Canadian) price range?
>
>Thanx very much,
>  Blair
>--
>= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
>=   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =
>= Ignore my opinions ... they are the product of an imagination preoccupied   =
>= with sex, or so they tell me ... *sigh*                                     =

Well, if you use an OMPTI and an RLL drive, you can get 500K xfer rates...
(Device level test)

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (09/09/89)

From article <11376@watcgl.waterloo.edu:, by bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre):
: Well, I know there's been tons of discussion on harddrives dying
: lately, so I figured I'd add too it! :-)
:
: [Stuff about drive deleted]
:
: I know someone was also selling some huge Maxtor ( I think ) drives a while
: ago - got any more?  :-)

	I'm afraid not... There was someone out there who bought the last
couple of hundred out from under me... Look for them to start showing up
(At a much higher price than I had... :-( ) soon through the mail order
places. In the mean time, I'm looking for another deal.

: Thanx very much,
:   Blair
: --
: = Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
: =   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =
: = Ignore my opinions ... they are the product of an imagination preoccupied   =
: = with sex, or so they tell me ... *sigh*                                     =
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey