[comp.sys.amiga] Interesting note from c.s.atarti.st

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (09/06/89)

Someone asked if they should upgrade the OS on their Atari ST to the
new TOS 1.4:

In article <1207@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:

> You bet it's worth it!  I've seen TOS 1.4 in action, and there are SO
> many nice things in it, and SO many things fixed in it.  I can't see how
> anybody would NOT want it!
>
> For example:  Now you can rename folders, you have a MOVE command, disk
> reads and writes are faster, windows open up in the RIGHT places, and
> you have the keyboard controlled warm/cold resets.
>
> These are just the things that are OBVIOUS!  The stuff you cannot see
> that are fixed are NUMEROUS!  No more 40 file folder limit, or 16 meg
> partitions, a rewritten GEMDOS, etc.
>
> However, I think $100 is a bit too much.  If Atari wants to get 1.4 out
[Much deleted]

Windows appear in the right places?  $100?

I will nevernevernevernever complain about a bug in AmigaDOS again!  Promise!

-Tom
--
Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (09/11/89)

In article <Sep.5.23.49.41.1989.6178@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes...

>Someone asked if they should upgrade the OS on their Atari ST to the
>new TOS 1.4:

>In article <1207@ultb.UUCP> clf3678@ultb.UUCP (C.L. Freemesser) writes:
(much more deleted)
>[Much deleted]

>Windows appear in the right places?  $100?

>I will nevernevernevernever complain about a bug in AmigaDOS again!  Promise!

Actually, the problem in the old TOS was that where Atari thought the
desktop windows should go wasn't where everyone else thought they should
go. They appear right where they are supposed to.

Besides, although Atari says anyone can get 1.4, no one has got it.

>-Tom
>--
>Drew University   -- Tom Limoncelli
>C M Box 1060      -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
>P O Box 802       -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet
>Madison, NJ 07940 -- 201-408-5389

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi                                     |