[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 1000 Keyboard

In <Sep.7.16.32.46.1989.20450@pilot.njin.net>, hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:
>One of the keys on my Amiga 1000 sticks.  I want to exchange it with a
>less often used key from the keypad but I can't seem to get the
>mechanism out.  It looks like there are some clip-like things that
>should be pushed in but it's not working and I don't want to mangle
>a lot of keys.  Any help will be appreciated.

Did you unsolder the key? I don't have my A1000 any more, but from memory...

  I had a function key that would not come all the way back up. It was still
working, but I had to tap it pretty hard to make it work. I unsoldered and
removed it.  I don't remember the details, except that it was pretty obvious
how it came out, and yes, there are little clip things on the key mechanism
that hold it into the black metal bracket. Be careful when you remove the key.
The mechanism itself is a touchy one, should you manage to mess with it while
the key is out. It will stay in place inside there, but if you knock the guts
out of the key, it's a real fiddly job to put it back together.

Disclaimer: I found it easy to do the above, but I have been fixing computers
since 1966. Your mileage may vary.

>If its possible to purchase these little gadgets from someplace I
>would feel a lot bolder poking around :-)..

Try a local repair center to see if they have any laying around. Many of them
will use defective returned keyboards as spare parts bins.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (09/08/89)

Hello

One of the keys on my Amiga 1000 sticks.  I want to exchange it with a
less often used key from the keypad but I can't seem to get the
mechanism out.  It looks like there are some clip-like things that
should be pushed in but it's not working and I don't want to mangle
a lot of keys.  Any help will be appreciated.

If its possible to purchase these little gadgets from someplace I
would feel a lot bolder poking around :-)..

mark
--

 hubey@OSultrix.montclair.edu       	hubey@pilot.njin.net
 hubey@apollo.montclair.edu 		VOICE:  201-893-5269

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (09/10/89)

From article <750@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca>, by lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips):
> In <Sep.7.16.32.46.1989.20450@pilot.njin.net>, hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:
>>One of the keys on my Amiga 1000 sticks....
>
> Did you unsolder the key? I don't have my A1000 any more, but from memory...

     Before you try unsoldering the key try this:  Pull off the keycap of
the offending key.  Put a drop of lubricant on the sides of the white
plastic shaft that moves up and down and see if that doesn't free the key.
I've done that successfully on a couple of keys on my board.  The
lubricant I used was BreakFree, a Teflon based oil.  A similar product is
called TriFlo if you can't find BreakFree.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

erikj@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Erik Johannes) (09/10/89)

In <Sep.7.16.32.46.1989.20450@pilot.njin.net>, hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:
>One of the keys on my Amiga 1000 sticks....

My "s" key was sticking yesterday and I finally got tired of sticky keys.  I
disassembled the keyboard (removed the plastic housing) and removed all the key
caps.  I soaked the keycaps in soapy water to clean them.  I ran down to Radio
Shack and purchased "TV Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant" Can No. 64-2315.
I sprayed this into all of the keyboard switches.  Not only were the sticky
keys cured, but also the keyboard has a much smoother better feel.  One thing
to be careful about is that the can seems to be quite pressurized.  So when
you squirt it into the key switches (using the plastic tube) hold a paper towel
or something around the hose to block any spray.  Otherwise, it might spray out
of the switch right into your eyes.

			-Erik

hull@hao.ucar.edu (Howard Hull) (09/11/89)

Whad'ya mean _squirt_ some of the TV Tuner Cleaner into the keys?  Some of
those cleaners contain an oxidant emulsifier and a weak etchant.  Others are
teflon filled non-conducting oils or silicons.  When Fabbian Dufoe says use a
drop on the white shaft, he not only means it, he means a small drop (about a
millimeter in or two in diameter will do).  If you use too much of the teflon
variety (for lube applications) or the DeOxy product (for switch electrical
contact anti-oxidant applications), bad things may be in your Amiga keyboard's
future.  One good suggestion that someone posted to the net a long time ago
is to put a few drops on a thread, drop a loop of the thread down over the
key and then see-saw the thread lightly back and forth along the lower part of
the shaft from a couple of different angles (i.e., the bottom and the right).
One other thing - the experience I've had with these products would tend to
indicate that as far as your keyboard is concerned, they're habit forming...
						Howard Hull
						hull@hao.ucar.edu

c162-de@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (David Navas) (09/11/89)

In article <4266@ncar.ucar.edu> hull@hao.UCAR.EDU (Howard Hull) writes:
>Oh oh.  What am I going to do now.  Gosh.  Lookth like I need to do thompthing
                                      ^^^ Ooopth, you meththed up..  :-)

David Navas c162-de@zooey.Berkeley.Edu

hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) (09/11/89)

In article <372@unmvax.unm.edu> erikj@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Erik Johannes) writes:

> In <Sep.7.16.32.46.1989.20450@pilot.njin.net>, hubey@pilot.njin.net (Hubey) writes:
> >One of the keys on my Amiga 1000 sticks....
>
> My "s" key was sticking yesterday and I finally got tired of sticky keys.  I
>disassembled the keyboard (removed the plastic housing) and removed all the key
>caps.  I soaked the keycaps in soapy water to clean them.  I ran down to Radio
> Shack and purchased "TV Tuner/Control Cleaner & Lubricant" Can No. 64-2315.
>
> 			-Erik

Thanks to all who gave me help.  I wound up spraying something like
what is mentioned above--also from Radio Shack !--and it worked!!

mark