[comp.sys.amiga] DPaint III

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (02/12/89)

----
Dan Silva was at FAUG this month (Tuesday, Feb 7), showing DPaint III.

First of all most problems/bugs with DPaint II seem to be fixed:
Font panel is unlimited now, fat-line drawing is faster, you can draw
in overscan (as opposed to having to scroll around), half-bright is supported
(when you "spread" colors, for instance, and do fills, it will take advantage
of the half-bright colors if you are in half-bright mode), perspectives are
faster and more flexible, color-cycling doesn't hog the CPU, etc...

That's all nice, and you expect the above kind of changes. But, DPaint III
is also a totally different beast than DPaint II in one major way --- it's
an ANIM paint program. You can paint using multiple frames, switching back
and forth between frames. (And no, it doesn't use CHIP memory to store all
the frames.) You can either specify "compressed," which lets you have
a great deal more frames in memory, but slows rendering down, or you can
specify "non-compressed," in which case each frame occupies gobs of memory
but rendering is considerably faster.

You can tell the program to "animate" (go through the frames) while you're
moving your brush around so that the brush will be painted in a different
location in every frame --- voila, instant animation. You can tell the
brush to move/grow/rotate automatically as the frames are being animated
for other special effects. You can cut a brush with multiple frames and then
paint with it. All tools --- airbrush, circles, ovals, polygons,
color cycling, perspective, etc are available when drawing in multiple
frames... You can even apply a stencil to every frame!

The program will save the frames in ANIM format and load ANIM format.
This means it should read in VS3D files just fine --- I assume. (Dan did
mention that the ANIM brushes are not saved in ANIM format.) You
should be able create an ANIM in VS3D, and then edit the file in DPaint III
and add all the little things that was just too damn hard to do with 3D
objects and/or background/foreground static IFF pictures.

The upgrade price is $57 + cover of DPaint II manual if you bought DPaint II
before Dec 1, 1988, or $27 + cover of DPaint II manual if you bought it
later than that date. Available end of March. And of course, not
copy protected.

I should mention that the program did crash once during Dan's somewhat
planned/somewhat random (as he got sidetracked often) demo. It was after
maybe 30-40 minutes of usage, a few minutes after he showed how you could use
color-cycling in the animation. I wonder if the good-old color-cycling
problems are still lurking in the code?

Oh, and, as you might suspect, there's no HAM support.

Anyway, from what I saw, it's great. Made that FAUG worth going to; I'm
looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Ali Ozer, aozer@NeXT.com

iphwk%MTSUNIX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (02/12/89)

[In "DPaint III", "Ali T. Ozer" said:]
:
: ... half-bright is supported (when you "spread" colors, for instance,
: and do fills, it will take advantage of the half-bright colors if you
: are in half-bright mode) ...
:
: Ali Ozer, aozer@NeXT.com

Is there some way for a user program to tell whether the machine it's
running on has half-bright ability?

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717

nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) (03/28/89)

Congrats to Dan Silva on DPaintIII!  It's really a nice upgrade (finally
I can use my hard drive fonts!) and the new animation features are
slick.  This program is going to sell another load of Amigas all by
itself.

In regard to the animation player utility, does anyone know whether you
can include any of the options for playback in the icon of the anim?
For example, is there a way to set ping-pong mode so that the anim will
automatically begin that way?

EA is to be congratulated too...they shipped UPS and it was here in less
than two weeks!

Ned Schultz             nschultz@polyslo.calpoly.edu

t-iaind@microsoft.UUCP (Iain Davidson) (04/03/89)

In article <9877@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) writes:

> [text deleted]
>Congrats to Dan Silva on DPaintIII!
>
>EA is to be congratulated too...they shipped UPS and it was here in less
>than two weeks!
>
>Ned Schultz             nschultz@polyslo.calpoly.edu

 Did Jim Sachs have any handiwork in this version too ???

Iain Davidson, formally of Bellingham, WA's BelAmi! Fame

UUCP: {uucp|uw-beaver}!microsof!t-iaind       (How did he move that "t" ???)
BITNET:  microsof!t-iaind@beaver.cs.washington.edu
    for really smart mailers:  t-iaind@microsoft.BITNET or .CSNET or .UUCP
*** Disclaimer: ***
  My employer and fellow employees will (have, has) disclaim anything I say
past, future, or present......  so there !!!!....

jwl@Feanor.Stanford.EDU (John Lockhart) (04/21/89)

In article <8553@xanth.cs.odu.edu> manes@cs.odu.edu (Mark Manes) writes:
   [stuff deleted]
>He went on to say that the GVP does not experience any problems with
>overscan (this I have confirmed, using Deluxe Paint III) because it does
>not take the bus.
   [more stuff deleted]
>Mark D. Manes                                          "In Amiga We Trust"

First, from what I've heard, that's correct: GVP doesn't have problems
with overscan.  However...

Deluxe Paint III is evidently *not* a good choice for overscan tests---
word on BIX is that DP3 only permits overscan in one direction (I think
it was vertical, for NTSC/PAL compatibility).  It does *not* allow
overscan in the other direction.

This leaves most users of 'morerows' out of luck.  EA is (as seems too
often the case) unresponsive---at least so far.

Note:  I do not use morerows, nor do I have DP3.  But I *do* own
DP2, and am very hesitant to send EA money to upgrade...I *hate*
unresponsive companies, and have more need for higher-quality output
than for animation in my paint program.  [Sounds like it's time for me
to start looking for a new program...]

Anyone have any other good/bad news on DPaint III?

                        -- John Lockhart
            jwl@feanor.stanford.edu      BIX: jlockhart

laba-2ac@e260-2d.berkeley.edu (08/31/89)

This is a repost: Can anyone tell me how to convert DPaint III's IFF files
to the ones more readable by other program??  In particular, it'd be nice to
have IFF2PS and IFF2GIF work.  Thanks in advance.
Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
laba-2ac@web.berkeley.edu	Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!

michael_dinn@brains.UUCP (Michael Dinn) (09/01/89)

Re: Dpaint III:

 >DPaint III:
 >This is a repost: Can anyone tell me how to convert DPaint III's IFF files
 >to the ones more readable by other program??  In particular, it'd be nice
 >have IFF2PS and IFF2GIF work.  Thanks in advance.

 Dpaint III (And Photon Paint) store their pictures in IFF ACBM format. What
 99% of all programs expect is IFF ILBM format. To convert, I use MultiView
 2.0. MultiView is a bit buggy (How do you spell GURU? :-) but it works well.
 It reads IFF ACBM/ILBM, MacPaint pics, DEGAS and NEOChrome pics from the ST.
 If anyone wants it, I can post it on my BBS for downloading... mail me.

 ==> Sysop, The Moose's Swamp CA 902 463 0483 3/12 24h/7d
--
   -===------===-    From Michael Dinn at Cerebral Cortex BBS System
  -==-==----==-==-   (902)462-7245 3/12/2400 8N1 24h/7d

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (09/05/89)

In article <4751@brains.UUCP> michael_dinn%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
> >DPaint III:
> >This is a repost: Can anyone tell me how to convert DPaint III's IFF files
> >to the ones more readable by other program??
> Dpaint III (And Photon Paint) store their pictures in IFF ACBM format.
>   -===------===-    From Michael Dinn at Cerebral Cortex BBS System

	I just used "TYPE JOE.PIC HEX" and it says that the pictures
	created by Deluxe Paint III start with "FORM....ILBMBMHD".

	So why do you say Dpaint-III uses ACBM format?  It doesn't.

	I've heard rumors of problems with files created by Deluxe Paint III
	but still no definite details of how to reproduce the problem.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) (09/05/89)

In article <4751@brains.UUCP> michael_dinn%brains@iisat.UUCP writes:
> >This is a repost: Can anyone tell me how to convert DPaint III's IFF files
> >to the ones more readable by other program??  In particular, it'd be nice
> >to have IFF2PS and IFF2GIF work.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Dpaint III (And Photon Paint) store their pictures in IFF ACBM format. What
> 99% of all programs expect is IFF ILBM format. To convert, I use MultiView

Excuse me if the following is mistaken or stupid, please, because I have
never actually had to do such a conversion myself before.

If the problem is in converting from ACBM to ILBM, then isn't there a
little AmigaBASIC program in the BasicDemos drawer of every Extras
diskette that does just this? I thought it was named something like

	"LoadACBMsaveILBM"

or something like that. If it's the one I think it is, then it includes
quite a lot of REMarks that should enable anyone to figure out how to
work it.

Disclaimer: a) I may be wrong.
            b) The conversion may go the wrong way.
            c) The suggested solution may not be sufficiently hi-tech
	       to suit the readership of this group.

BUT: I hope it helps, anyway.

>   -===------===-    From Michael Dinn at Cerebral Cortex BBS System

Mark.
##  Mark S. Madsen  ####  marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk  ###################
####  Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK.  ##
####################  Life's a bitch.  Then you die.  #################

laba-2ac@e260-2d.berkeley.edu (09/05/89)

In article <560@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>	So why do you say Dpaint-III uses ACBM format?  It doesn't.

You're right.  It doesn't.

>	I've heard rumors of problems with files created by Deluxe Paint III
>	but still no definite details of how to reproduce the problem.

Here's how: Read in an IFF file created by any other paint program.  (DPaint
II will work well) Now modify it and re-save.  Now try reading it in with
that paint program, or even better, try reading it with things like ushow.
I use iff2gif and then try using giffy2 to do it.  No luck.

Here's how I solved the problem (without any coding).  Kick up DPaint III,
read in the file, and then use screensave to dump to a normal IFF file, and
then convert with IFF2GIF ....

>Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
Na Choon Piaw			P.O Box, 4067, Berkeley, CA 94704-0067
laba-2ac@web.berkeley.edu	Disclaimer: I'm speaking only for myself!

KENNEDAM%WWPS@dupont.com (Tony Kennedy) (09/11/89)

Hi all,

	This has been discussed before, but anyway...

	The "problem" with DPaint III picts is the DPPS chunk. It's chunksize
is only 2 bytes. This screws up IFF reader programs because they expect
everything to be in nice 4 byte chunks. The DPIII are LEGAL IFF formatted
files. The code to read the files has to modified not to skip over the stuff it
doesn't use 4 bytes at a time. I don't know what the DPPS chunk is for, just
that that's the one that gave me problems.

				...Tony

|    Tony Kennedy      | Any resemblance       |     //// AMIGA          |
|   Project Engineer   | between these and my  |\\\ //// The computer    |
|    Setpoint Inc      | employers opinions is | \\\/// For the best     |
|                      | pure coincidence.     |  \\\/ of us.            |
| INTERNET : kennedam%wwps%dupont.com@relay.cs.net                       |