[comp.sys.amiga] VD0 help

jal@kronos.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) (08/29/89)

I'm having a problem with installing the new VD0 which I hope
some one can help me with.  I followed the instructions in
properly installing VD0 but on booting up the mount command
results in a "Can't find device" message even though the
device is listed in the mountlist.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.
Jason Leigh
jal@zeus.cs.wayne.edu

--
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
:)	 It is possible to make no mistakes and still lose.	:)

dmose@sequent.UUCP (Dan Mosedale) (08/29/89)

In article <935@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@kronos.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>I'm having a problem with installing the new VD0 which I hope
>some one can help me with.  I followed the instructions in
>properly installing VD0 but on booting up the mount command
>results in a "Can't find device" message even though the
>device is listed in the mountlist.

I'm having the exact same problem.  I mount it (no problem here), but
the first command which tries to reference VD0 get a
"Can't find device" message.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sequent!dmose

rademach@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Simon Rademacher) (08/29/89)

In article <935@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@kronos.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>I'm having a problem with installing the new VD0 which I hope
>some one can help me with.  I followed the instructions in
>properly installing VD0 but on booting up the mount command
>results in a "Can't find device" message even though the
>device is listed in the mountlist.
>
>Any hints?
>
>Thanks in advance.

I hate to say it (really) but "me too."

To add a few more details--vd0 mounts ok (well, no errors) and even shows up
in the list of devices that assign gives.  The message about not being able
to find vd0 occurs when I try cd, ls, etc.  The computer does go looking on
my boot disk for something (not cd, it's res'ed) but apparently can't find
what it needs.  I do have the asdg.vdisk.device file in devs:.

As Jason Leigh said, "Any hints?" and "Thanks in advance."

=======================================
=          Simon Rademacher           =
= rademach%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu =

a121@mindlink.UUCP (Daniel Carreras) (08/30/89)

Some people also have the mounting of VD0: done and right after it they assign
DEVS to some other place like from the DH0: to a FastFiles partition. May this
be your problem? If so, make sure you have the same version of
asdg.vdisk.device in both your devs directories.
Daniel

michael@maui.cs.ucla.edu (michael gersten) (08/30/89)

VD0: requires the file vdisk.device to be loaded in the DEVS: directory.
Mountlist should specify Device=vdisk.device

			Michael

dmose@sequent.UUCP (Dan Mosedale) (08/30/89)

>VD0: requires the file vdisk.device to be loaded in the DEVS: directory.
>Mountlist should specify Device=vdisk.device
>
>			Michael

Just tried this, and it still doesn't work.  Doesn't make too much sense either
since:

    1)  All previous versions of VD0: have used asdg.vdisk.device

    2)  The supplied mountlist uses asdg.vdisk.device, as well as having
        the device named that way.

    3)  If you "type asdg.vdisk.device opt h" you will see the string
        asdg.vdisk.device.

Perry, if you're out there, can you help?  Thanks!

sequent!dmose

tdavis@unocss.UUCP (Thomas Davis) (08/30/89)

michael@maui.cs.ucla.edu (michael gersten) writes:

>VD0: requires the file vdisk.device to be loaded in the DEVS: directory.
>Mountlist should specify Device=vdisk.device

     You know, I tried that.  It still didn't work.  I replaced the file,
and reboot, and it works.  Now, I have an older 1000 with no halfbrite,
1 megabyte of ram at C00000 (Squeeze RAM).  I am also running ARP, so
I decided to see if that was it.  I used the 1.3 mount command; still
didn't work.  I edited the mountlist, to remove the Mount = 0 line from it,
and rebooted.  Still didn't work.  I thought to myself..  Hmmp.  The old
version still works, I'll just stick with it.

            Tom Davis

balzer@frambo.enet.dec.com (Christian Balzer) (08/31/89)

In article <20932@sequent.UUCP>, dmose@sequent.UUCP (Dan Mosedale) writes...
[Lots of trouble with the new asdg.vdisk.device deleted]

Well, although I'm not Perry (at least until 10 minutes ago ;-) I might give
you some additional info.
The new VD0: works like a charm (after installing the new CRD and DRD
utilities) on my 5 MB A2500 type system at home. It fails however
miserably on my 1 MB A500 here in the office, showing the described
symptoms (unable to load device).
Now the only "real" difference between the systems as far as VD0: is
concerned, is the lack of "real" FAST memory in the A500.
So if your system doesn't contain FAST memory besides memory at
$C80000, the new VD0: will fail.
And yes, I tried to set the BuffMemType to CHIP mem (3), but no go.

Looks like a very subtle campaign from ASDG to push the sales of
FastMem expansion boards... :-) ;-) ;-)

Hope that this at least clears some fog, although this might not really
help you.

Regards,

- <CB>
--  _  _
 / /  | \ \  <CB> aka Christian Balzer  - The Software Brewery -         //
< <   |-<  > decwrl!frambo.enet!CB -OR- unido!decum!frambo.dnet!CB      //
 \ \_ |_/ /  I-Net: CB@frambo.enet.dec.com | E-Net: FRAMBO::BALZER  \\ //
------------ PMail: Im Wingertsberg 45, D-6108 Weiterstadt, F.R.G.   \X/

johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (08/31/89)

In article <4450@shlump.nac.dec.com> balzer@frambo.enet.dec.com (Christian Balzer) writes:
>In article <20932@sequent.UUCP>, dmose@sequent.UUCP (Dan Mosedale) writes...
>[Lots of trouble with the new asdg.vdisk.device deleted]
>The new VD0: works like a charm (after installing the new CRD and DRD
>utilities) on my 5 MB A2500 type system at home. It fails however
>miserably on my 1 MB A500 here in the office, showing the described
>symptoms (unable to load device).
>Now the only "real" difference between the systems as far as VD0: is
>concerned, is the lack of "real" FAST memory in the A500.
>So if your system doesn't contain FAST memory besides memory at
>$C80000, the new VD0: will fail.
>And yes, I tried to set the BuffMemType to CHIP mem (3), but no go.
>- <CB>

You don't need to have any FAST memory.
I installed VD0: on my 1 Meg A500 the other night, and it works just
fine.  I have a Super Agnus, and set the BufMemType to 3.  Guess it's
time to send in my check.

John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California, Berkeley
(...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 642-7635

dmose@sequent.UUCP (Dan Mosedale) (09/02/89)

 johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) writes:
 ] balzer@frambo.enet.dec.com (Christian Balzer) writes:
 ]]The new VD0: works like a charm (after installing the new CRD and DRD
 ]]utilities) on my 5 MB A2500 type system at home. It fails however
 ]]miserably on my 1 MB A500 here in the office, showing the described
 ]]symptoms (unable to load device).

Hmmm..  strange! Perry?

 ]]Now the only "real" difference between the systems as far as VD0: is
 ]]concerned, is the lack of "real" FAST memory in the A500.
 ]]So if your system doesn't contain FAST memory besides memory at
 ]]$C80000, the new VD0: will fail.
 ]]And yes, I tried to set the BuffMemType to CHIP mem (3), but no go.

 ]You don't need to have any FAST memory.
 ]I installed VD0: on my 1 Meg A500 the other night, and it works just
 ]fine.  I have a Super Agnus, and set the BufMemType to 3.  Guess it's
 ]time to send in my check.

Hmmm...weird.  I have a 1 Meg Spirit Insider inside my 1000, which autoconfigs;
I think it's $C000000 memory.  So (apparently) for the new VD0: to work, your
machine must have more than 512K - but $C000000 memory doesn't count when
calculating this total.

For those still interested in helping (thanks for all the responses so far)
my configuration is as follows:  Amiga 1000, 1 Megabyte spirit insider,
and CMI Processor Acc. revision 3, pal grounding mods.  I just grounded
the pals and put in the Accelerator last week....I tried to install VD0:
several weeks ago and it didn't work then either.

I have tried switching from ARP back to 1.3 Mount, futzing with my mountlist,
and finally just using the one supplied with VD0, all with no success.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

-Dan Mosedale
...!sequent!dmose

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (09/03/89)

In article <20810@sequent.UUCP> dmose@crg3.UUCP (Dan Mosedale) writes:
>In article <935@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@kronos.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>>I'm having a problem with installing the new VD0 which I hope
>>some one can help me with.  I followed the instructions in
>>properly installing VD0 but on booting up the mount command
>>results in a "Can't find device" message even though the
>>device is listed in the mountlist.
>
>I'm having the exact same problem.  I mount it (no problem here), but
>the first command which tries to reference VD0 get a
>"Can't find device" message.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It is quite likely that someone changed the name of the device driver
so that it did not match the internally found name string OR the device
driver mentioned in the mountlist does not match the name of the device
driver.

The new driver provides smaller driver code but no other advantages. My
suggestion is to keep using the old driver since there's very little
reason to disturb your already working environment.

We are offering no support at all for this software.

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!

douglee@becker.UUCP (Doug Lee) (09/04/89)

In article <11102@boulder.Colorado.EDU> rademach@tramp.Colorado.EDU (Simon Rademacher) writes:
>In article <935@wsu-cs.uucp> jal@kronos.cs.wayne.edu (Jason Leigh) writes:
>>I'm having a problem with installing the new VD0 which I hope
>>Any hints?
>I hate to say it (really) but "me too."
>
>To add a few more details--vd0 mounts ok (well, no errors) and even shows up
>in the list of devices that assign gives.  The message about not being able
>to find vd0 occurs when I try cd, ls, etc.  The computer does go looking on
>my boot disk for something (not cd, it's res'ed) but apparently can't find
>what it needs.  I do have the asdg.vdisk.device file in devs:.

>As Jason Leigh said, "Any hints?" and "Thanks in advance."

Some things to beware of, which are documented but nevertheless may have been
overlooked. Make sure that BufMemType is correct. If you specify 5, and have
no fast memory (fat agnus users take note), it probably won't work. HighCyl
must be an ODD number. Make sure you have as much free memory as VD0
will use. The warning in the mountlist about not making HighCyl larger than what
you have is there for a good reason. I found the OLD VD0 didn't work well when
not able to run in a CONTIGUOUS block of memory. If you have 2 meg true fast,
1/2 meg chip and 1/2 meg $C00000 memory for example, making VD0 larger than
just under 2 meg is probably asking for trouble. Make sure it is mounted
BEFORE using rad:

>=======================================
>=          Simon Rademacher           =
>= rademach%tramp@boulder.colorado.edu =

--
Doug Lee
douglee@becker
416-461-5357

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (09/05/89)

From article <4450@shlump.nac.dec.com>, by balzer@frambo.enet.dec.com (Christian Balzer):
> [Everyone on the planet having problems with the new VD0:, and some
> suggestions deleted.]

The new VD0: works just fine for me. Assuming everyone has got the
obvious things like mountlist entries and having asdg.vdisk.device in
the CURRENT devs: directory (and with read permission!), one other thing
occurs to me.

There were two different versions of the original VD0: released. The
first was only available with the purchase of an ASDG RAM expansion, had an
8M limit, and checked for the presence of an ASDG RAM card. The second
was the shareware version, had a 2M limit, and did not check for an ASDG
RAM card. (Oh, one more difference: the commercial version was called
"vdisk.device" while the shareware version is named
"asdg.vdisk.device".)

Once I tried to install VD0: on a friend's 1M A500, and it failed with
the "device not found" error message. After a couple of hours of banging
my head against a virtuial wall, it suddenly occured to me that I was
using the software on my own Workbench disk thus I was using the
commercial, not the shareware VD0: software. As soon as I switched to
the shareware version, it worked perfectly. The commercial release was
failing on the A500 because it did not have an ASDG RAM expansion.
Perhaps the "device not found" was referring to the RAM card, not the
device driver?

So, my off the wall guess is that Perry forgot to take out the check for
an ASDG RAM card, and those of you that can't run the new version don't
have an ASDG RAM expansion.

Can anyone confirm this guess? Does it work for you withOUT an ASDG RAM
expansion? Does it fail for you WITH an ASDG RAM expansion?

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (09/07/89)

From article <1488@esunix.UUCP>, by blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner):

> Can anyone confirm this guess? Does it work for you withOUT an ASDG RAM
> expansion? Does it fail for you WITH an ASDG RAM expansion?

Well, I was indeed off the wall. Several people have confirmed that the
new VD0: does work with non-ASDG RAM expansions.

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
There: uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine  (My Amiga running uucp)
"Nobody will ever need more than 64K."    "Nobody needs multitasking on a PC."

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (09/07/89)

I was wondering (not meant to be a flame), but why use VD0: anymore?  What does
it offer that RAD: doesn't?  Why did Perry upgrade it after RAD: came out?

Comparative data and other responses are welcome.  Just wondering!
--
UseNet Path: __!mailrus!sharkey!itivax!abaa!esker  ==  esker@abaa.UUCP

In <2500@abaa.UUCP>, esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>I was wondering (not meant to be a flame), but why use VD0: anymore?  What does
>it offer that RAD: doesn't?  Why did Perry upgrade it after RAD: came out?

VD0: dynamically uses the memory; the more you put into it, the more it uses,
remove files and it frees that memory.  RAD:  grabs an amount equal to the size
you make it, regardless of the contents.  This makes VD0:  preferable for those
that are short of memory.  RAD:  of course allows you to boot from it.  The
really decadent Amiga owners use both.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (09/08/89)

In article <1488@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>So, my off the wall guess is that Perry forgot to take out the check for
>an ASDG RAM card, and those of you that can't run the new version don't
>have an ASDG RAM expansion.
>
>Can anyone confirm this guess? Does it work for you withOUT an ASDG RAM
>expansion? Does it fail for you WITH an ASDG RAM expansion?

I am running the vd0 distribution from my library disk #241 (as posted
to comp.binaries.amiga on 21-Aug-89) on a B2000 without any ASDG hardware,
so I guess this isn't the problem.  For reference, using the brik program
from disk #233, here are the file crc's:

# Whole file CRCs generated by Brik v2.0.  Use "brik -C" to verify them.

# CRC-32        filename
# ------        --------

3553549726b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/CleanRamDisk
1690191784b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/DeleteRamDisk.info
1483195606b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/Readme2
 965981724b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/SysMon
1659742304b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/Readme
2563423162b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/.info
2303947122b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/POSTER2
3470161594b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/DeleteRamDisk
4289515037b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/Readme.info
1246345010b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/mountlist
1782526123b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/SysMon.info
3645401437b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/CleanRamDisk.info
  96720630b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/FastMem
3553549726b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/CleanRamDisk.orig
3470161594b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/DeleteRamDisk.orig
1751788474b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/POSTER
3671892573b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/FastMem.info
 917718283b     AmigaLibDisk241:ASDG-rrd/asdg.vdisk.device
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# 1-602-491-0048           asuvax!{nud,mcdphx}!estinc!fnf

atheybey@lcs.mit.edu (Andrew Heybey) (09/08/89)

In article <2500@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) writes:

   I was wondering (not meant to be a flame), but why use VD0: anymore?  What does
   it offer that RAD: doesn't?  Why did Perry upgrade it after RAD: came out?

   Comparative data and other responses are welcome.  Just wondering!

VD0: uses only as much memory as the data you have stored on it.  RAD:
is a fixed size (it is configurable, but not dynamic).  RAD: always
uses the maximum amount of memory it might need, no matter how much is
actually stored in it.  On the other hand, one can boot from RAD:, and
also do diskcopys to/from it.  Finally, (might as well compare
everything available) RAM: is the fastest, but doesn't survive
reboots.  There is also VDK: (that I have never used) which has
characteristics similar to VD0:, but is supposedly faster.  Depending
how much Perry has sped up VD0: that may no longer be the case.

When I ever get around to revamping my boot disk, I plan to use all
three: RAD: for a copy of my workbench disk (no need to have it in a
drive all the time, fast cold-start (using diskcopy), and I can warm
boot from it); VD0: for things (like compilers, dnet, etc.) that I
want to survive reboots (and crashes that arn't too drastic) but whose
memory I want to be able to reclaim;  and RAM: for temporary files &
other such things that I want to be fast.

Of course, once I get a hard disk I will be free of many of the above
contortions.  Speaking of HD, RAM & speeding things up, what
disk-caching programs exist for hard disks?  I know of BlitzDisk from
MicroSmiths--is it available seperately or must I buy TxED to get it?
(I don't want TxED--my fingers have Emacs bindings ingrained.)

--
Andrew Heybey, atheybey@ptt.lcs.mit.edu, uunet!ptt.lcs.mit.edu!atheybey

RYAN-S@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (stephen) (09/09/89)

> Why use VD0: instead of RAD?

It grows dynamically like RAM:, so it doesn't take the memory until/unless
you need it.

Steve

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (09/09/89)

	VD0: is still worthwhile for one simple reason: It doesn't hog the memory
the way that RAD: does. Once you have RAD: mounted, the memory is gone, until
you remove it. With VD0:, it is only taken up while it is being used,
like RAM:. If you have dead space (space that WAS used, but is not used
now), you can run CleanRamDisk and it will return it to the system. I
use RAD: like a real ram disk, and use VD0: as a replacement for RAM:,
since it does about the same thing, but is recoverable...

				Dave

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (09/10/89)

From article <ATHEYBEY.89Sep8093840@allspice.lcs.mit.edu>, by atheybey@lcs.mit.edu (Andrew Heybey):
>   Speaking of HD, RAM & speeding things up, what
> disk-caching programs exist for hard disks?  I know of BlitzDisk from
> MicroSmiths--is it available seperately or must I buy TxED to get it?
> (I don't want TxED--my fingers have Emacs bindings ingrained.)

I don't know of any hard drive cache programs besides BlitzDisk. And I
don't think you can get it without buying TxEd+. As I recall (being a
long time owner of both) BlitzDisk was available on both the TxEd and
FastFonts packages that Microsmiths sold. Since FF became part of WB
1.3, FastFonts was dropped as a commercial package, and its various goodies
(like ScreenDimmer) were added to the TxEd package.

My history may be faulty, but I believe the only product that
Microsmiths currently sells is the TxEd+ package.

One note (from the BlitzDisk manual): it does NOT work with the
HardFrame controller. There are no problems, but no buffering occurs.

Since I've just switched to the HardFrame recently (see <CB>'s upcoming
hard drive controller review), I'd like to know of any other hard drive
cache programs.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne
There: uunet!iconsys!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine  (My Amiga running uucp)
"Nobody will ever need more than 64K."    "Nobody needs multitasking on a PC."

JeffS@cup.portal.com (Jeffrey Keith Seidel) (09/10/89)

I use VD0: without an ASDG RAM board all the time.I have a 2058 RAM
expansion board populated to give me 5 meg total. The only trouble
I've had with it was when I trying out conman and messed things up.
(not conman's fault). I followed the instructions for VD0: and added
a few paths and assigns to it in my s-s and it works great. I've found
the biggest advantage of VD0: over RAD: is that VD0: doesn't grab
all it's memory all at once,so if you can save some RAM.

GORRIEDE@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Robert Gorrie) (09/12/89)

> VD0: is still worthwhile for one simple reason: It doesn't hog the memo
>the way that RAD: does. Once you have RAD: mounted, the memory is gone, until
>you remove it. With VD0:, it is only taken up while it is being used,
>like RAM:. If you have dead space (space that WAS used, but is not used
>now), you can run CleanRamDisk and it will return it to the system. I
>use RAD: like a real ram disk, and use VD0: as a replacement for RAM:,
>since it does about the same thing, but is recoverable...

BUT RAD , and RAM, are 5 times faster than the original VD0: by my
benchmarks.  AND the new VD0: does not work for anyone with a Michigan
Insider board so far that I have talked to.

I wanted to purchase VDK, but I have tried for one year, to get a hold
of Neil Katts, but he never answered his e-mail.

At any rate, there is definitely room for improvement in the area of
recoverable ram disks.

|     "The man who dropped a 3270 terminal on his foot...                    |
|        ... and lived to tell about it..."                                  |
| DENNIS GORRIE (GORRIEDE AT UREGINA1.BITNET)                                |