[comp.sys.amiga] 1.3 bugs

michael@maui.cs.ucla.edu (michael gersten) (08/28/89)

Here are some bugs in 1.3 that I'd like to see fixed for 1.4.

#1. Workbench will say "DF2:NDOS" if df2: contains a disk and it is not a
dos disk. But in my Konika 10 meg floppy, info will report "Not a dos disk"
but workbench puts nothing up. Of course, I can't format it from workbench
because there's no icon to grab.

#2. Although you can "assign remove" to unmount a device (why not mount
remove?), you do not recover the space used by that device. How about
a new call vector for devices corresponding to expunge in libraries?

#3. I'd like to be able to unmount CON: and RAW:, mount one of the
replacement handlers as CON: and RAW:, and remount OLDCON: and OLDRAW:.
How to I get the console.device not to do special actions based
on the name it was opened as? (or: How do I tell it the difference between
a con: and a raw: window?)

#4. (You'll love this). Mountlist needs a new field -- DriveReserved.
I have a nice, high performance drive that reserves track 0 for its own
activities. This gives me 14 tracks on cylinder 0, and 15 on all the other
tracks. But if I say 15 tracks per cylinder in the mountlist, it does
inefficient seeks all the time. (And if I say 1 track per cylinder, it
is less optimal in file layout and slightly slower).

			Michael

In article <26736@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> michael@maui.cs.ucla.edu (michael gersten) writes:
>Here are some bugs in 1.3 that I'd like to see fixed for 1.4.
>#2. Although you can "assign remove" to unmount a device (why not mount
>remove?), you do not recover the space used by that device. How about
>a new call vector for devices corresponding to expunge in libraries?

	It's trickier than that.  The killer is that someone who DeviceProc()s
a handler can hold that msgport address forever before using it.  Solution:
come up with a way to say "I'm done with the msgport".  Works, but old
programs that call DeviceProc directly will cause problems.

>#4. (You'll love this). Mountlist needs a new field -- DriveReserved.
>I have a nice, high performance drive that reserves track 0 for its own
>activities. This gives me 14 tracks on cylinder 0, and 15 on all the other
>tracks. But if I say 15 tracks per cylinder in the mountlist, it does
>inefficient seeks all the time. (And if I say 1 track per cylinder, it
>is less optimal in file layout and slightly slower).

	That's easy.  Increase the Reserved= number to account for 1 full
track.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"