[comp.sys.amiga] A-Max and LUCAS board. Also Imagewriter and Amiga.

johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu (09/12/89)

  I've just bought an A-Max, and was wondering whether anybody has
managed to get it to run on a LUCAS-board-equipped system.  It won't
run on my LUCAS board (for more than a few seconds), but I thought I
remembered reading of somebody who had managed to get the two running
together.  If so, I'd like to compare notes on setups.  For that
matter, has A-Max been known to run on other 68020 Amigas?  I thought
that it did, although it does not make any claims in that regard.

  For the person who wants to hook up an Imagewriter:  If it is an
Imagewriter II, do not get the simple 8-pin-circular-to-DB25 cable.  I
tried such a cable last night, and it does not quite work.  The page
gets garbled afte a few lines when printing from the Amiga, and the printer
wouldn't respond at all to an Amiga running A-Max.  I think the
hardware handshake lines are not hooked up quite right through that
sort of cable, from what I could gather from the A-Max and Imagewriter
documentation and an ohmmeter.  I got the printer working perfectly by
attaching an 8-pin-circular-to-9-pin-serial cable (a standard Mac printer
cable, for older macs),  to a 9-pin-serial-to-DB25 cable (standard
for hooking an older Mac to a modem) through a 9-pin-serial gender changer.

For what it's worth,

John

John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California, Berkeley
(...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 642-7635

johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Vince Lee) (09/12/89)

In article <1989Sep12.053054.11256@agate.berkeley.edu> johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu () writes:

>  I've just bought an A-Max, and was wondering whether anybody has
>managed to get it to run on a LUCAS-board-equipped system.  It won't
>run on my LUCAS board (for more than a few seconds), but I thought I
>remembered reading of somebody who had managed to get the two running
>together.  If so, I'd like to compare notes on setups.  For that

I have the same problem.  I thought it was just my Lucas board being flakey,
but it won't work at all.  A-Max DOES claim to run on '020 amigas with
128k ROMS, and I know it works quite well on a 2500.

>John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory

-Vince

roadman@portia.Stanford.EDU (arthur walker) (09/12/89)

In article <1989Sep12.053054.11256@agate.berkeley.edu>, johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu writes:

>   I've just bought an A-Max, and was wondering whether anybody has
> managed to get it to run on a LUCAS-board-equipped system.  It won't
> run on my LUCAS board (for more than a few seconds), but I thought I
> remembered reading of somebody who had managed to get the two running
> together.  If so, I'd like to compare notes on setups.  For that
> matter, has A-Max been known to run on other 68020 Amigas?  I thought
> that it did, although it does not make any claims in that regard.
Yeah, it works for me.  I am using system 6.0.2.  The system file has
to have some resources that patch for the 68020, having I think to do
with its expanded stack frame. These may not be present in ancient system
versions.  Nose around in system 6.0 installer scripts with resedit to
get an idea of what gets installed in minimum mac+ and macII systems.
I bet I didn't write this down when I did it.  We could take this offline.

Frances memory can only be used for
ramdisk, so far.  I'm not sure why.

> John

art walker