[comp.sys.amiga] Need to reach Expansion Tech.

mpf@csli.Stanford.EDU (Michael Frank) (09/12/89)

Hello, does anyone know a sure-fire way to reach Expansion Technologies
technical support staff?  I have a problem with my Escort hard drive
(for the 1000), and I need to talk to them.  The phone number in the
documentation, (415) 656-3151, never seems to be answered.

In case anyone here can help:
The drive had been working fine for about 5 months.  Then I turned
everything on one day after a week of not using anything, and the
hard drive just didn't work.  It spins up and does some kind of self-
test as usual.  I can mount the DH0: device.  But the disk can't be
read; the "in-use" light on the drive never comes on, info says
"unreadable disk", the requesters say "not a DOS disk", diskdoctor
thinks there's a hard error on every track, etc.

My guess is that some chip in the controller got fried somehow.
(I don't know how.  The power strip wasn't even turned on the
week I wasn't using the computer.  Lightning is non-existent here.)
Any second opinions?  Quick-fix suggestions?  Help in reaching
Expansion Technologies?

Thank you,
Mike Frank

sjk@ut-emx.UUCP (bob) (09/12/89)

In article <10346@csli.Stanford.EDU>, mpf@csli.Stanford.EDU (Michael Frank) writes:
> Hello, does anyone know a sure-fire way to reach Expansion Technologies
> technical support staff?  I have a problem with my Escort hard drive
> (for the 1000), and I need to talk to them.  The phone number in the
> documentation, (415) 656-3151, never seems to be answered.

Try 415 656 2890.  This is the number I;ve called and they always
answer and usually are as helpful as they can be.
Good luck!
Scot
sjk@astro.as.utexas.edu
Bdah! -M

txm2744%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (09/13/89)

I have an Expansion Technology 48meg hard drive.  It works fine when I
only mount the first partition.  When I mount the second, problems
sometime occur when I copy files between the two partitions.  Workbench
blocks forever, and any process that tries to use the harddrive will
block forever.

I've talked to Expantion Tech. many times, and they can't offer me a
solution.  Has anyone seen this problem before.

Thomas A. Mikalsen			"Dig me ... But don't bury me."
Rochester Institute of Technology