[comp.sys.amiga] ARP Bits & Pieces

In <437@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu>, dbl@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson) writes:
>     Recently I got the ARP 1.3 Distribution which included (among ohter
>things) AShell.  I like AShell and would really like to use it to the fullest
>but, alas,where can I find the PIP:  Handler that is needed to do pipes.  Some
>more docs would be nice too and the programmers stuff but lets start with PIP:.
>Can anyone direct me to PIP:????

PIP: is distributed along with ConMan I believe. If you aren't using ConMan,
you should be, regardless of the shell you use.

>    Another little question, I am not trying to flame anyone but, why must
>everyshell use its own pipe handler, 1.3 has been out long enough to be
>recognized as a standard and its pipe handler seems to work ok.

The 1.3 pipe handler and PIP: are two entirely different animals. CBM's pipe
handler is for named pipes only, and though it is a good one for what it does,
it is not useful for doing things like:

	list | grep rw-d

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

dbl@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson) (09/08/89)

     Recently I got the ARP 1.3 Distribution which included (among ohter things)
AShell.  I like AShell and would really like to use it to the fullest but, alas,where can I find the PIP: Handler that is needed to do pipes.  Some more docs
would be nice too and the programmers stuff but lets start with PIP:.  Can anyone
direct me to PIP:????

    Another little question, I am not trying to flame anyone but, why must everyshell use its own pipe handler, 1.3 has been out long enough to be recognized
as a standard and its pipe handler seems to work ok.

    Thanks in advance for any info on PIP:.

    Dave Lawson

 AMIGA -- Computer for the Best of us.

mks@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael Sinz - CATS) (09/09/89)

In article <437@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> dbl@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson) writes:

>     Recently I got the ARP 1.3 Distribution which included (among ohter things)
>AShell.  I like AShell and would really like to use it to the fullest but, alas,where can I find the PIP: Handler that is needed to do pipes.  Some more docs
>would be nice too and the programmers stuff but lets start with PIP:.  Can anyone
>direct me to PIP:????

PIP: is part of ConMan.  You just mount it a bit differently.

>    Another little question, I am not trying to flame anyone but, why
> must everyshell use its own pipe handler, 1.3 has been out long enough
>to be recognized
>as a standard and its pipe handler seems to work ok.

Since the person how wrote AShell liked the advanced features of PIP:
PIPE: in 1.3 is a "named pipe" while PIP: is a co-opened pipe.

>    Dave Lawson
>

> AMIGA -- Computer for the Best of us.

/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
|      /// Michael Sinz -- CATS/Amiga Software Engineer                |
|     ///  PHONE 215-431-9422  UUCP ( uunet | rutgers ) !cbmvax!mks    |
|    ///                                                               |
|\\\///          When people are free to do as they please,            |
| \XX/                they usually imitate each other.                 |

) Seaman) (09/09/89)

dbl@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (David Lawson) writes:
<
< Recently I got the ARP 1.3 Distribution which included (among ohter
< things) AShell.  I like AShell and would really like to use it to the
< fullest but, alas,where can I find the PIP: Handler that is needed to do
< pipes.  Some more docs would be nice too and the programmers stuff but
< lets start with PIP:.  Can anyone direct me to PIP:????

PIP: is part of the distribution of ConMan version 1.3, which is available
on one of the fish disks (somewhere around the 160's or 170's), and is also
on many local BBS systems, not to mention being available as part of
the ARexx and WShell distribution sets.

< Another little question, I am not trying to flame anyone but, why must
< everyshell use its own pipe handler, 1.3 has been out long enough to be
< recognized as a standard and its pipe handler seems to work ok.

The PIPE: device from 1.3 is a NAMED pipe handler.  PIP: is an UNNAMED
pipe handler.  It can do a lot of things (such as dir | less) that PIPE:
can't do.

<     Thanks in advance for any info on PIP:.
<
<     Dave Lawson
<
<  AMIGA -- Computer for the Best of us.

Ain't it the truth?

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |        ///
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |       ///            Only AMIGA

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/09/89)

In article <747@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>The 1.3 pipe handler and PIP: are two entirely different animals. CBM's pipe
>handler is for named pipes only, and though it is a good one for what it does,
>it is not useful for doing things like:

>	list | grep rw-d

And neither is PIP:, at least with AShell.  list | grep rw-d will work
if the directory isn't too large, but anytime I try to pass too much
information through PIP: like this, it crashes.  For instance, the above
example on a large directory.  Or using "alias help zcat docs:[] | more"
will crash almost every time, unless the doc file is very small.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/11/89)

In article <19487@unix.cis.pitt.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
>In article <747@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>> [CBM pipe: won't do things like...]

>>	list | grep rw-d

>And neither is PIP:, at least with AShell.  list | grep rw-d will work
>if the directory isn't too large, but anytime I try to pass too much
>information through PIP: like this, it crashes.  For instance, the above
>example on a large directory.  Or using "alias help zcat docs:[] | more"
>will crash almost every time, unless the doc file is very small.

Well, I just installed conman 1.3.2, and I'm no longer having this
problem.  I honestly can't say for sure whether or not that was the
problem, because it's been awhile since I've tried it.  At any rate, my
pipes are working reliably now.  :-)

Now if there was a way to expand wildcards and do 'foreach' type stuff
with the ARP shell, I'd be happy...  (no, spat and dpat *don't* cut it.)

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

ph274cc@pyr.gatech.EDU (F3 C. CLEVELAND) (09/12/89)

In article <19493@unix.cis.pitt.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
)In article <19487@unix.cis.pitt.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:
)>In article <747@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
)>> [CBM pipe: won't do things like...]
)
)>>	list | grep rw-d
)
)>And neither is PIP:, at least with AShell.  list | grep rw-d will work
)>if the directory isn't too large, but anytime I try to pass too much
)>information through PIP: like this, it crashes.  For instance, the above
)>example on a large directory.  Or using "alias help zcat docs:[] | more"
)>will crash almost every time, unless the doc file is very small.
)
)Well, I just installed conman 1.3.2, and I'm no longer having this
)problem.

Thank you.  I wrote recently that there was a bug in Conman 1.3 that
had been posted to the net but that I couldn't remember its nature.

This was it.

I'm using Conman 1.3 release 2 now as well, so I'm happy to hear that
it does clear up my 'unidentified' bug.

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (09/13/89)

From article <19493@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, by ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy):
[Problems with PIP: deleted.]

> Well, I just installed conman 1.3.2, and I'm no longer having this
There's a new version of ConMan? Where did you get it from?

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here: utah-cs!esunix!blgardne   {ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne