[comp.sys.amiga] SRAM vs. DRAM, 33MHz 386 UNIX-PC

colin@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (09/13/89)

(This is off-topic for comp.arch; see the Followup-To: line)

In article <22011@cup.portal.com> cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) writes:
>What about SYNCHRONOUS SCSI in the Amiga? (4.0MB/sec) Or DMA & memory
>can't handle it at this speed(?)

The Microbotics HardFrame can do synchronous SCSI whenever they get the
drivers written.  My problem is finding a drive that can do it.

>Do sync & async are about the same cost? Why use synchronous SCSI vs.
>async?

Sync is considerably more complex, and chips to support it are a more recent
development.  But it's a few times faster, and nothing is ever too fast...
--
	-Colin Plumb