[comp.sys.amiga] GenericCad

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (09/13/89)

A few weeks ago I posted a message about the response we got from
Generic Software when asking about porting GenericCad to the Amiga. The
response our rep received was that the Amiga was not capable of
providing the resources necessary to run a cad program, that it wasn't
'fast' enough.

We requested a conversation with the person who had made this statement
as we were curious as to how he/she could come up with such a
statement.

Well, a technical person from Generic Software called me last week and
we had an interesting conversation. Seems that they DO know about the
Amiga's capabilities and have pretty much given up trying to convince
their management to proceed. As I understand it, executives want the
money "up front" before development would start. Apparently they don't
believe there would be a market for CAD on the Amiga or either there
aren't enough machines to profit.

Also, they don't have personnel to do the job. Most personnel are
currently working on the Mac port. He questioned me about AMAX -
running GenericCad under AMAX that is. I told him what little I knew &
directed him to contact the developers for more info, but I also told
him that I wouldn't be interested in running under AMAX - I'd loose too
much not running AmigaDos and that I suspected that many people would
agree with me.

When I suggested that they consider 'farming' the port out to
experienced, commercial Amiga software developers, He said that it had
been suggested from someone else and they they might consider it if the
work was approved.

What to do?

1) Is there a market for GenericCad (or AutoCAD for that matter) on the
Amiga?  We are ready to buy.

'He' (requested he be left unnamed on UseNet) suggested the following:

2) Write letters to the following people if you are ready to purchase
GenericCad for the Amiga:

   Bob Fulton - Pres. Generic Software.
   Ted Peters - Lead MacIntosh Programmer - Generic Software.

   Generic Software, Inc.
   11911 North Creek Parkway South
   Bothell, Wa. 98011

   Malcomb Davies - V.P. Sales and Marketing - AutoDesk Inc.
   (No address for AutoDesk)

3) Write letters to Ted Peters if you are an available and capable
CAD/Amiga software developer looking for work.

Note that requests for porting AutoCad to the Amiga might be pursued
in a similar fashion :^)

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute
Internet: kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
UUCP    : $ {cs.utexas.edu, gatech!petro, sun!texsun}!swrinde!kent

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (09/14/89)

In article <21160@swrinde.nde.swri.edu> kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) writes:

>1) Is there a market for GenericCad (or AutoCAD for that matter) on the
>Amiga?  We are ready to buy.

I am afraid that most Amiga owners are conditioned to expect quality software
at dirt cheap prices (relative to CAD prices) and will choke on prices of
$2,800 to $3,300.

I believe the current prices for Generic CADD 3D and CADD Solids are $349.95
each so would be acceptable to the general Amiga audience.  HOW MANY PAIDED
$400 or so for DynamiCAD?

AutoCAD cost $2,800 for 2D/3D package and additional $500 for AutoShade.  If
you would consider paying this price level for a CAD package then I would
suggest that you at least look at MicroStation from Intergaph.  MicroStation
cost $3,300 and provides 2D/3D drafting with surface shading and plotting
support in a fully integrated package and in my BIASED opinion is two to three
quantum levels of capability above AutoCAD.

I know of a number of people who are currently running MicroStation on the
BridgeCard.  They are doing such things as 3D design in MicroStation, then
transfering the file to the Amiga side for rendering and animation.

NO! MicroStation has not and currently is not planned for porting to the
Amiga.  WHY?  The Amiga is (1) a toy computer, (2) not going to be a
competitive platform, (3) does not provide a sufficient computation base
for CAD and (4) is not supported by Commodore  [ These are NOT my words,
but rather the works of several people involved with MicroStation planning.
As I said I AM BIASED because I work for Intergraph and have a very deep
appreciation for the capabilities and features provided by MicroStation.
* I DO have some experience with drawing on a computer screen ie. Applicon,
Genesco, Tektronix, etc. *

If you need AND are willing to pay the price level and want to influence
Intergraph toward an Aimga port two things MUST happen.  First and formost
Commodore must raise the Amiga above the "preceived" toy computer status
through marketing and third-party software support.  Second Intergraph must
see enough potential customer interest to consider the port - in as much as
a large number of Amiga owners and supporters work for (and use an Amiga in)
federal sector - their influence for the use of native MicroStation on the
Amiga would carry significant weight if presented in quantity.

>2) Write letters to the following people if you are ready to purchase
>GenericCad for the Amiga:
>
>   Bob Fulton - Pres. Generic Software.
>   Ted Peters - Lead MacIntosh Programmer - Generic Software.
>
>   Generic Software, Inc.
>   11911 North Creek Parkway South
>   Bothell, Wa. 98011

 for MicroStation write

    Bentley-Systems, Incorporated             Intergraph Corporation
    180 Gordon Drive                and       One Madison Industrial Park
    Lionville, PA 19353                       Huntsville, AL 35807

    Kieth Bentley, Pres.                      Roger Woodsmall, Prod. Manager

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497