[comp.sys.amiga] GIF viewers

rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) (09/14/89)

	I thought I heard recently that there are some programs to view
more than 32 color gif files in HAM mode. Do such programs exist, and
if so, where can I get them? I have giffy2 but it dies horribly on
32+ color pictures.

	thanks much

------------------------------------------------------          Quantum _\/_
545 Sycamore CellBlock 207 Bruce (6502 RULES!) Rogers        |\  Duck  ( 0 0)
Davis, Ca 95616            Quantum Duck Software,           |\ \______/ / \\\
916-757-2925               rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu         |\ <  <     |   \/
"It's better to be the real thing than the right thing."     \________/  Quark!

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (09/14/89)

In article <5312@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) writes:

>	I thought I heard recently that there are some programs to view
>more than 32 color gif files in HAM mode. Do such programs exist, and
>if so, where can I get them? I have giffy2 but it dies horribly on
>32+ color pictures.
>
>	thanks much

In Library 9 of CompuServe's AmigaArts Forum, you will find HAMGIF, AMGIF, and
VGIF - I think that last one is the correct name.  It is a shortened form
of VertGIF, anyway.
Gee, I certainly hope this does not bring on another onslaught of battles
about commercial networks!!

Betty

Betty Clay
.......texbell!pollux!bjc
       CompuServe  76702,337
       Internet:  76702.337@compuserve.com

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (09/14/89)

In <5312@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> rogers@iris.ucdavis.edu (Brewski Rogers) writes:

BR> I thought I heard recently that there are some programs to view
BR> more than 32 color gif files in HAM mode. Do such programs exist, and
BR> if so, where can I get them? I have giffy2 but it dies horribly on
BR> 32+ color pictures.

Well, there's hamgif, which is on one of the Fish disks I believe. It
works reliably, but with 256 color GIFs the reproduction leaves
something to be desired. What I would recommend to anyone is the new
"ShamView" package, which is popping up on all the user group BBSes
around here right now. It converts GIFs to "SplitHam" or "SuperHam"
mode, which is accomplished by changing the palette on every line to
eliminate the 16 most glaring streaks... . It looks *really* hot.

--
Robert Jude Kudla   <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu> <kudla@acm.rpi.edu> <fw3s@RPITSMTS>
Pi-Rho America  \\        ///   Sick feeling, sick reasoning,