[comp.sys.amiga] Neptune Pics on Trantor

detert@lognet2.af.mil (CMS David K. Detert) (09/12/89)

To whomever loaded the Neptune pics for anon FTP, thanks.  But (you knew
it was coming), I had some problems.  I downloaded them ok and unzoo'd
them and had trouble displaying the best7c/d/e/f.16 pics.  7c displays
about half way down then goes off into never never land.  A quick check
of the readme's, etc., seem to indicate the file sizes in the zoo are
significantly smaller than what should be there as indicated in the
neptune0.readme file, i.e., 153k in the readme vs 90k in the zoo.
Anyway, I'm not complaining as all the others were well worth the time
and effort.  Just thought you might like to know there MIGHT be
something amiss with the zoo file (Neptune2.zoo).  If I did something
wrong and you can figure out what it might be, please email.
Thanks again for the trouble you went through to make them available.
Cheers, Dave
C{CMSgt David K Detert, USAF    MILNET:  detert@lognet2.af.mil

detert@lognet2.af.mil (CMS David K. Detert) (09/12/89)

I just did a double check and although the files sizes vary, best7c and
best7d are the only 2 that showiz will not display.  View display them
partially and I forgot what sho did.  Anyway, if anyone has downloaded
these and NOT had problems, please let me know.  Maybe I'll have to try
transferring them again.  Thanks again, Dave

kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (09/13/89)

In episode <23764@louie.udel.EDU>,
we heard detert@lognet2.af.mil (CMS David K. Detert) say:

|I just did a double check and although the files sizes vary, best7c and
|best7d are the only 2 that showiz will not display.

best7c and best7d are indeed hosed.  I spent about two hours last evening
trying to get these two files into Dpaint so I could at least try to fix
them, but no luck.  The Neptune2 archive as a whole checks out; these
files are just damaged somehow.  Either Dpaint or one of the viewer programs
reported something about the FORM block being incorrect.

On a related note, the 988-byte sho program (an IFF viewer in Neptune3)
is giving me problems.  Sho works fine, even running it more than once,
but the next program I run AFTER running sho causes a lockup.  File access
may be the key; running AVAIL after sho works but running DIR gives
me the "Task Held" requester.  I normally run Dmouse and FaccII but get
the same behavior without them.  Anyone else have this problem?

Kenneth Herron

jdutka@wpi.wpi.edu (John Dutka) (09/13/89)

In article <23763@louie.udel.EDU> detert@lognet2.af.mil (CMS David K. Detert) writes:
>it was coming), I had some problems.  I downloaded them ok and unzoo'd
>them and had trouble displaying the best7c/d/e/f.16 pics.  7c displays
>about half way down then goes off into never never land.
>Just thought you might like to know there MIGHT be
>something amiss with the zoo file (Neptune2.zoo).  If I did something
>wrong and you can figure out what it might be, please email.

I had exectly the same problems.  I just deleted the corrupt pictures.
As easy as that.  Of course, it caused endless visits to the guru...

jms@opus.uucp (Joe Smith) (09/13/89)

In article <12665@s.ms.uky.edu> kherron@ms.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) writes:
>best7c and best7d are indeed hosed.

The crc on those two files should be 4e03 and 09b0, respectively.
That's not what I get when I checked the local Unix system.
I will be uploading corrected copies later.

>On a related note, the 988-byte sho program (an IFF viewer in Neptune3)
>is giving me problems.  Sho works fine, even running it more than once,

One of those programs (or mayber it was "uShow") dies spectacularly.
I'm going to determine which one.
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM or jms@tymix.Tymnet.COM
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms
PO Box 49019, MS-D21    | PDP-10:JMS@F74.Tymnet.COM  CA license plate:"POPJ P,"
San Jose, CA 95161-9019 | narrator.device: "I didn't say that, my Amiga did!"

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (09/14/89)

The pictures best7c.16 and best7d.16 were indeed messed up.  (I think I need
to fiddle with MaxTransfer on my Amiga's hard disk.)  They have been resent
to "info-amiga/pub/neptune4.*" on trantor.umd.edu.  I tried uploading a new
copy of neptune2.zoo, but I'm not sure that the last few bytes made it.

Archive ram:neptune4.zoo:
Length    CF  Size Now  Date      Time
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
   98216   5%    93481   6 Sep 89 23:52:20 4e03   best7c.16
    1104  46%      597  13 Sep 89 02:15:58 4eb8   best7c.16.info
  102268   4%    97856   2 Sep 89 21:43:22 09b0   best7d.16
    1109  44%      617  13 Sep 89 02:18:42 e0f6   best7e.16.info
    1109  42%      644  13 Sep 89 02:20:44 895f   best7f.16.info
    1109  47%      584  13 Sep 89 02:22:44 9497   tritonwhole.16.info
    1109  54%      515  13 Sep 89 02:24:28 8d5b   twocresc.16.info
--------  --- --------  --------- --------
  206024   6%   194294     7 files
--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu (Timothy Stark) (09/14/89)

Hello, Amiga users:

   I get same happens on Neptune Pics. Neptune2.zoo have best7c which
is bad iff file.

-- Tim Stark
Timothy Stark          Bitnet: 11tstark@gallua.bitnet People/Link: OCS130
Gallaudet University   Internet: 11tstark@gallux.gallaudet.edu GEnie: T.STARK1
P.O. Box 1453, 800 Florida Ave., N.E., Washington, DC 20002
"Gallaudet University is the only university for the deaf in the world."