[comp.sys.amiga] Hey C= , will 1.4 have the same license as 1.3.2

In <3523@seashore.nprdc.arpa>, apple@nprdc.arpa (James Apple) writes:
>	I just want to know ( from someone at commodore ) if version
>1.4 of the OS will come with same license as 1.3.2.
>

>	If it does, I spent a lot of wasted time waiting
>for 1.4 and ECS so that I could buy a amiga.
>

>	I do NOT WORK on nuclear research.   But I AM OFFENDED
>by the "license"  and I will not but a commodore product that has it.

I suggest you take the matter up with your government, and while you're at it,
take a close look at any other software you might have around for any of the
larger machines you might have access to.

"If thy right winger offends thee, pluck him out of office."

:-)

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

apple@nprdc.arpa (James Apple) (09/04/89)

	I just want to know ( from someone at commodore ) if version
1.4 of the OS will come with same license as 1.3.2.

	If it does, I spent a lot of wasted time waiting
for 1.4 and ECS so that I could buy a amiga.

	I do NOT WORK on nuclear research.   But I AM OFFENDED
by the "license"  and I will not but a commodore product that has it.

--
	Jim Apple WB1DOG

	apple@nprdc.navy.mil
	...}ucsd!nprdc!apple

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (09/05/89)

In article <3523@seashore.nprdc.arpa> apple@nprdc.arpa (James Apple) writes:

>	I just want to know ( from someone at commodore ) if version
>1.4 of the OS will come with same license as 1.3.2.

The license was unclear.  (even the lawyer who wrote it decided
it was unclear :-)  )  That 'no-nuke' paragraph was meant to only
apply to EXPORTS, as this is covered by the export control act.

A revised (clearer) license will be available shortly.

I bet everyone was thinking we had a legal department staffed
by former 60's hippies :-)

			andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Life gets pretty complex the minute you stop mooing.

marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Mark S Madsen) (09/05/89)

In article <3523@seashore.nprdc.arpa> apple@nprdc.arpa (James Apple) writes:
>	I just want to know ( from someone at commodore ) if version
>1.4 of the OS will come with same license as 1.3.2.
>	I do NOT WORK on nuclear research.   But I AM OFFENDED

Jim, whether the rest of the net agrees with you or against you, it sure
would make the discussion a little easier to follow if you (or someone)
would post, saying exactly what it is that bothers you. (Although I
think you can be pretty sure (i) that Commodore-Amiga can put any licence
agreement they like on their software, and (ii) that you have the
inviolable right to be offended.)

By the way, there is a good argument about the offensiveness of other
licence agreements currently happening in comp.misc, for those who might
enjoy it :-) And comp.sys.amiga's very own Peter Da Silva is right in
there with them! :-)

>	Jim Apple WB1DOG

Mark
##  Mark S. Madsen  ####  marksm@syma.sussex.ac.uk  ###################
####  Astronomy Centre, University of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK.  ##
####################  Life's a bitch.  Then you die.  #################

djw@ibmpcug.co.uk (DJ Walker_Morgan) (09/06/89)

>	I do NOT WORK on nuclear research.   But I AM OFFENDED
>by the "license"  and I will not but a commodore product that has it.
>

>Why Jim? Planning on irradiating someone?

Apple happen to have (if it is the type of licence condition I think you are
suggesting) a similar thing in the Hypercard Licence.... And more and more
people are being smart enough to realise that they don't have to see their
work corrupted and used by people who do not respect their views, or are doing
something offensive in their opinion.

>--
>	Jim Apple WB1DOG
>
>	apple@nprdc.navy.mil
>	...}ucsd!nprdc!apple

Oh You ARE going to kill someone...... B)

   (I assume that's what navy.mil means)

DJ Vox UK-01-371-5755      dj at ibmpcug....
Strength Through Diversity, I couldn't have put it more plainly

--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not

niesemc@econ.vu.nl (Marco Niese) (09/06/89)

What is this about only distributing on national nets?

When I call a US board and download it, would that be legal?

If I go to a CBM Authorized dealer, can I get an upgrade there? If you only
want virus-free, complete distribution, this could work quite well...

If I buy an expensive A2500 (I did not - yet) and find out new System Software
updates are only available in the US, I would not like to be the person who
sold it to me.

Commodore Autohorized Dealer, Commodore Autohorized Service Center,
Commodore Authorized Distrubution Net... what's next? Commodore Authorized
User ??? ;-)

Marco Niese.  (niesemc@econ.vu.nl)

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (09/07/89)

Someone PLEASE tell Mr Apple to calm down. This was needed to make our
government happy. I suggest Mr Apple inspect APPLE's License. :)

		- Doug -

Doug_B_Erdely@Cup.Portal.Com

mjw@cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) (09/08/89)

Jim Apple says:
"I do NOT WORK on nuclear research.   But I AM OFFENDED
by the "license"  and I will not but a commodore product that has it. "

-
I am delighted by the 'licence' and believe that it would be
an excellent tool to use in persuading people to by
Commodore/A products. If it is, in fact, the new standard Commodore/A
licence, than Commodore/A is a far cooler company than even the
existence of the Amiga would have suggested.

What you lose on the swings, you make up on the round-a-bouts.

Michael

mproicou@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Michael C. Proicou) (09/08/89)

In article <cZ1iHEm00hkeE21aJy@cs.cmu.edu> mjw@cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) writes:
>Jim Apple says:
>"I do NOT WORK on nuclear research.   But I AM OFFENDED
>by the "license"  and I will not but a commodore product that has it. "
>
>-
>I am delighted by the 'licence' and believe that it would be
>an excellent tool to use in persuading people to by
>Commodore/A products.

Yep, just tell 'em: Buy an Amiga, look at all the things you can't do
with it!

Mike
--
Mike Proicou
mproicou@blackbird.afit.af.mi

johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (09/08/89)

In article <1335@blackbird.afit.af.mil> mproicou@blackbird.afit.af.mil (Michael C. Proicou) writes:
>In article <cZ1iHEm00hkeE21aJy@cs.cmu.edu> mjw@cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) writes:
>>Jim Apple says:
>>"I do NOT WORK on nuclear research.   But I AM OFFENDED
>>by the "license"  and I will not but a commodore product that has it. "
>
>Yep, just tell 'em: Buy an Amiga, look at all the things you can't do
>with it!

Jeez, people, can we get a grip on ourselves?  Someone from Commodore
(Andy Finkel, I think) has already explained to us, a couple of days ago,
that the anti-nuclear stuff was there in an attempt to comply with some
government regulations, that it is being rewritten to make the intent
more clear, and that there was NO political sentiment expressed or implied.
Why do the recriminations continue?

And do you really mean to tell me that you actually thought the license
was meant to push some political agenda?

Cripes.
John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@sag4.ssl.berkeley.edu		University of California, Berkeley
(...!ucbvax!sag4.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 642-7635

iddos@TAURUS.BITNET (09/14/89)

My site does not always recieve all the News, so sorry if this was
raised up already in the discussion:

I understand that future updates to Amiga system will be inaccesible
to me (here is what 'abroad' is over there) if I do work on nuclear
reasearch. Or is it so?
I must know the answer 'cause you see, I'm planning to do a lot of
nuclear research in the near future, using some megatons of CLI
commands. However, the company I'm with likes to play it legal,
and would not be caught reselling nuclear knowledge to third world
lunatics if that involves even a hint of software liscence violation.
In that case, it will continue developing the ultimate doomsday weapon
on a lowly 1.3-based A2000 (have you ever tried developing a doomsday
weapon without 1.4 WB multitasking support? god!).

Sorry! could not help ;-) :-(.

| Ido (The Id) Amin                                 iddos@taurus.BITNET |
+---------- Is the virtual memory of a unicorn a physical device? ------+