[comp.sys.amiga] iff to linotronic

wizard@sosaria.UUCP (Chris Brand) (09/07/89)

>Problem: I would like to get high quality printouts of a bit mapped image I
>         created with Deluxe Paint III (meaning no jaggies & perfect circles).

Forget it. You won't get any real professional results without a vector
paint program.

>  For example...I've created a picture (company logo really) with Deluxe Paint
>  3 and would like to get output to a Linotronics printer.  Is there a way to
>  convert a bit mapped image to the quality of postscript or structured
>  drawing?  So when printed on the Linotronics it comes out as high a quality
>  as something created with PageStream and output to postscript.

Yeah...I'm longing to do this with the Amiga for about 2 years now....
ProDraw would basically be what you're (and I'm) looking for, but its
soooooo slow and not a paint program. I said this before, is no one from
Electronic Arts going to write Studio/8 for the Amiga????

>               In other words, I am looking for a minor miracle... :)

A minor miracle? I'd rather say you're looking for the 8th wonder of the world....

>The reason for doing it this way is I have found a font that I like but it is
>not compatible with PageStream or any structured DTP or drawing program.  It
>is just a standard AmigaDOS font.  The logo requires that particular font
>along with several circles and the output must be of the highest quality.  As
>we all know, Deluxe Paint drawings do not output without jaggies.

Once more - forget it.  AmigaDOS fonts are normal bitmapped fonts, and most
of the time even ugly ones (just a..z A..Z 0..9 ,.; and that's it; the
kerning is not the same for all letters, they don't have the same height,
italics cuts off parts of the letters and so on...).  You need vector fonts
for professional work.

>I know what I am asking CAN be done on a Macintosh, but who wants to work on a
>Mac when you (I) have an Amiga 2500???

Simple - the people who NEED to produce high-quality output on still
pictures...no need to say what an excellent choice the Amiga is for
everything concerning video (including, of course, animation), but for
still pictures you just can't use that otherwise so brillant computer.  No
good slidewriter available, no vector paint programs, Postscript still
something very special, more or less no good fonts and so on.  Sigh...and I
looove my Amiga so much....

>In short, what do I need to convert bit mapped images into something of good
>enough quality for the Linotronics?  Your help will be most appreciated.

There is a program called IFF2PS that also does ColorPostscript. You can
convert a IFF pictures, but if you send it to a Linotronic, everything you
don't have is the rasterlines of the monitor. Jaggies and so on will still be
visible. Sorry.

>Please respond via E-Mail as the traffic here is getting too large for me to
>keep up on a daily basis.

I'm also posting this to comp.sys.amiga, hoping that somebody from ASDG or
Electronic Arts reads this, says to himself (or herself) "gee, poor John
and Chris, I gotta help them and create what they seek so desperately".

Chris Brand - wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com
"Justice is the possession and doing
of what one is entitled to"  -  Platon

In article <0657.AA0657@sosaria> wizard@sosaria.ccs.imp.com writes:

>>Problem: I would like to get high quality printouts of a bit mapped image I
>>         created with Deluxe Paint III (meaning no jaggies & perfect circles

>  No good slidewriter available, no vector paint programs, Postscript still
>something very special, more or less no good fonts and so on.  Sigh...and I
>looove my Amiga so much....

Check out Express Paint (up to version 3.0 now, I think) It is a paint program
but you can work in any resolution you want, even 300 d.p.i. and output to
postscript. It might even work at higher than 300 d.p.i.

Of course you don't see the full screen when you are working at such a high
res. You basically have a window on a virtual image. It looked pretty good to
me when I demoed it at the local dealers. If I had a laser printer I would have
bought it. Also does color.

--
John Sparks   |  {rutgers|uunet}!ukma!corpane!sparks | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps
Cheerio-Magnetics: The tendency of the last few cheerios in a bowl of milk
to cling together for survival.

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/15/89)

In article <1150@corpane.UUCP> sparks@corpane.UUCP (John Sparks) writes:
>>>Problem: I would like to get high quality printouts of a bit mapped image I
>>>         created with Deluxe Paint III (meaning no jaggies & perfect circles

>Check out Express Paint (up to version 3.0 now, I think) It is a paint program
>but you can work in any resolution you want, even 300 d.p.i. and output to
>postscript. It might even work at higher than 300 d.p.i.

I'll second that.  I used ExpressPaint to draw all of my figures for my
thesis.  A vector-oriented program would have been more "elegant" in
terms of drawing, but I was able to insert the large (generally
1500x1200 pixel) pictures directly into my thesis with AmigaTeX.
AmigaTeX cannot yet insert graphics other than IFF files for
non-postscript printers, so in this case, Expresspaint was the more
"elegant" choice, in that I was able to totally avoid cutting and
pasting for everything.  Careful selection of the parameters in the TeX
\special command (actually the supplied \ifffile macro) made all the
pictures come out at a perfect 1:1 ratio, so that they looked the same
on the printer (Deskjet Plus) as on the screen.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu