[comp.sys.amiga] UPS Canada Problems

In <234@van-bc.UUCP>, Ernie Gorrie <Ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca> writes:
>Dennis Gorrie [no relation to Ernie Gorrie, that I know of :)]writes of
>
>ongoing problems with UPS in Canada.
>
>	Part of the problem _may_ be due to UPS Canada's ongoing labour
>relations disputes.  Workers at UPS Canada in British Columbia has been on
>strike for weeks now, is refusing to bargain, is hiring scabs, is being
>called to hearings for unfair labour practices, etc.
>
>	UPS in B.C. is expected to be shut down completely in a week or so.  I
>have had so many problems with UPS in B.C. that I have taken to starting to
>ask shippers to send my stuff public post unless it is a package so large
>that public post won't take it.

That may be part or all of their problem now, but I can assure you that UPS in
B.C. (and possibly the rest of Canada, is not worth the lumber to roof their
building. They are slow, the people working there are unaware of the real
requirements of customs, and unless you pick up and clear the parcel yourself,
you are asking for a lot more trouble.

Similarly, sending something to the US via UPS is an expensive proposition,
since they want to charge you $35 or so 'brokerage fees', whether your parcel
requires it or not. There are also numerous forms to fill out if the parcel
happens to contain electronic equipment.

I recently had occasion to help out a friend in dire need of a Wedge and DTC
controller. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that I could send it '2
day delivery' for about $20. I was not pleased when I found out about the $35
extra for 'customs brokerage' and the extra paperwork.

I ended up sending it 'Priority Post' for about $30, and it arrived in a hasty
manner, saving the day, as it were. Canada Post may be slow for normal paorcel
post, but they do have something going for them with their Priority Post
service.

Incoming parcels through the mail are a real joy. Instead of having to either
clear the parcel yourself or wait another three days and incur more charges,
the parcel's declaration is inspected (and the parcel contents too, if they see
fit) by Canada Customs. They then assess a duty and tax amount, and affix an
invoice to the parcel. Upon receiving it, you can pay it via cheque or call
them with a credit card number, or if you disagree with the assessment, you can
call and talk to them. I have had a couple of assessments downpriced so far.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

Ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca (Ernie Gorrie) (08/30/89)

Dennis Gorrie [no relation to Ernie Gorrie, that I know of :)]writes of

ongoing problems with UPS in Canada.

	Part of the problem _may_ be due to UPS Canada's ongoing labour
relations disputes.  Workers at UPS Canada in British Columbia has been on
strike for weeks now, is refusing to bargain, is hiring scabs, is being
called to hearings for unfair labour practices, etc.

	UPS in B.C. is expected to be shut down completely in a week or so.  I
have had so many problems with UPS in B.C. that I have taken to starting to
ask shippers to send my stuff public post unless it is a package so large
that public post won't take it.

--
Ernie Gorrie
9431 McBurney Drive,
Richmond, B.C.
CANADA, V6Y 3C5
or; ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca  {ubc-cs,uunet}!van-bc!egami!ernie

LAUL@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) (09/01/89)

Thanks for the info on UPS.  UPS in Santa Cruz admitted THEY had lost
the second replacement hard disk.  Now Cache Systems says they will try
to send me a third hard disk.

By the way, I think I may be related to you:
My grandfather's name was LLoyd Gorrie.   He had a brother Bert.  Bert had a
daughter named Betty (I think).  LLoyd and Bert were from Truro NovaScotia.

Are you related?   My mail never makes it to you, so I put it on newsgroup.

|============================================================================|
| (patient)  Go ahead doc, tell me the worst.                                |
| (doctor)   I'm sorry, but you have MS-DOS...                               |
| (patient)  MS-DOS??   ...Maybe I caught it from a toilet seat or something.|
| DENNIS GORRIE (LAUL AT UREGINA1.BITNET)                                    |
|============================================================================|

stewartw@warpdrive.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (09/07/89)

In article <726@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <234@van-bc.UUCP>, Ernie Gorrie <Ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca> writes:
>Similarly, sending something to the US via UPS is an expensive proposition,
>since they want to charge you $35 or so 'brokerage fees', whether your parcel
>requires it or not.

   My understanding is that UPS does not WANT to charge the brokerage fee, but
is REQUIRED BY LAW to charge that fee.  This is what I was told by Canada
Customs the one and only time I used UPS for a software purchase from the US.
Only the post office is exempt from charging brokerage fees (can you say
unfair advantage).

  Someone else suggested Federal Express or Puralator.  Federal Express
I don't know about, but I would stay away from Puralator.  Their reputation
for deliveries within Canada is rather poor.  I don't imagine that it
would get any better when they are bringing stuff across the border.

  Stewart
--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

In <7002@warpdrive.UUCP>, stewartw@warpdrive.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
>In article <726@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <234@van-bc.UUCP>, Ernie Gorrie <Ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca> writes:
>>Similarly, sending something to the US via UPS is an expensive proposition,
>>since they want to charge you $35 or so 'brokerage fees', whether your parcel
>>requires it or not.
>
>   My understanding is that UPS does not WANT to charge the brokerage fee, but
>is REQUIRED BY LAW to charge that fee.  This is what I was told by Canada
>Customs the one and only time I used UPS for a software purchase from the US.
>Only the post office is exempt from charging brokerage fees (can you say
>unfair advantage).

We are talking about two different things here. I was (in thisparticular
quotes), talking about sending thigs TO the US. When you are receiving
something from the US, you can pick it up and clear it through customs
yourself. I know this for a fact, because I have done it in every case of
receiving something through UPS or FedEx. On stuff going TO the US, the
brokerage is for the purpose of satisfying US customs, and has nothing to do
with Canadian customs.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

a3@mindlink.UUCP (Dave Allen) (09/16/89)

We originally started out shipping UPS to customers in the US but soon ran into
problems with UPS brokers charging an additional $35 for something that was
exempt. The easiest way to deal with cross border deals is to have someone pick
it up in the US and bring it across personally. We have a Blaine Washington
address and visit there at least once every two weeks. Also comes in handy for
shipping out WEDGES and "soon" the EASY Streamer as well.

There are a number of places all across the border who offer mail box services
for as little as $8 per month. Not too shaby.

Forget the Post Office. In Canada they loose almost everything.
--

RSI-where WEDGES come from  |||   Please note our new Address and Phone
and VCR Streamer Soon Too...|X|   Number .....