[comp.sys.amiga] AMax/WB 1.3.2/MacWrite4.5

jmw@sdchemg (John M. Wright) (09/15/89)

I recently downloaded the WB 1.3.2 update from BIX and installed
it on my 2000.  Nothing seems to have broken except that
AMax will no longer start up properly; it hangs forever on
the "Wait while loading.........." (or words to that effect) screen.
It starts up just fine if I re-boot from a backup of my old boot
disk.  Anyone else seen this, or have any ideas, before I begin
subsituting piecewise to see which part(s) of the upgrade
is/are responsible?

Unrelated question .... I find that my old copy of MacWrite4.5
(acquired with an original 128K Mac!) bombs if I bring up
AMax with the 68020 (A2620 card) running;  works fine if I
boot the system up running the 68000.  Is this a known
problem with MacWrite and  the 68020?  Is it fixed
in newer MacWrite versions?

   John Wright	Chemistry, B-014, UCSD, La Jolla,  CA 92093
		jmw@chem.ucsd.edu  jwright@ucsd   (619) 534-3049

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (09/15/89)

In article <556@chem.ucsd.EDU> jmw@sdchemg (John M. Wright) writes:
>I recently downloaded the WB 1.3.2 update from BIX and installed
>it on my 2000.  Nothing seems to have broken except that
>AMax will no longer start up properly; it hangs forever on
>the "Wait while loading.........." (or words to that effect) screen.

Don't use SetPatch if you are going to use Amax; it seems that the
SetPatch fix of the trackdisk GetUnit problem disturbes the Amax
loader.  (Trackdisk used to not GetUnit to mark a drive as being
in use; it was usually ok, but occasionally, like when your finger
slipped on the disk eject button, would result in a 'hung' drive,
as the trackdisk would get confused).  In any case, that's what the
patch fixed.  Since your system reboots completely anyway
when you start Amax, the best thing to do is not run SetPatch
when you use Amax.  (always run it in other cases, though)

You might want to change your startup-sequence to something like:

Ask "Turn off multitasking ?"
if WARN
; do the Amax stuff here and result in a reboot
;
endif
SetPatch
.
.
.
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Life gets pretty complex the minute you stop mooing.

scott@ssgp32.UU.NET (Scott Evernden) (09/15/89)

In article <556@chem.ucsd.EDU>, jmw@sdchemg (John M. Wright) writes:
> I recently downloaded the WB 1.3.2 update from BIX and installed
> it on my 2000.  Nothing seems to have broken except that
> AMax will no longer start up properly; it hangs forever on
> the "Wait while loading.........." (or words to that effect) screen.
> It starts up just fine if I re-boot from a backup of my old boot
> disk.  Anyone else seen this, or have any ideas, before I begin
> subsituting piecewise to see which part(s) of the upgrade
> is/are responsible?

The problem, as I understand it, is with the A-Max software and the
new SetPatch which fixes something having to do with the UserState()
call which ReadySoft depends on somehow.  (I thought I read about other
ReadySoft stuff not working with the new SetPatch also).

Anyways, send your A-Max disks back to ReadySoft and ask for the latest
version.  I happened to do this last week, so I can tell you the most
recent A-Max (and FileTransfer) is dated August 8.  Until they start
bumping version numbers (all upgrades/releases have been version 1.0),
I'll be doing this every couple of months as Simon keeps working out the
kinks.

-scott
--
Scott Evernden            PRIME Computer Inc.
scott@ssgp32.Prime.COM    Commercial Systems Group

a121@mindlink.UUCP (Daniel Carreras) (09/16/89)

John,
      I have basically the same setup you do and have no problems with AMAX
Dan