[comp.sys.amiga] does 1.3.2 fix trackdisk bug?

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (09/07/89)

I was just wondering if Workbench 1.3.2 fixes that bug in the
trackdisk.device that causes PcPatch/PcCopy to fail on a one-floppy
machine.

I can't get the newest NoClick (which patches this bug) onto my
machine, because it is currently sitting on an MS-DOS disk which
PcPatch/PCCopy cannot read due to the bug.  Can you say Catch-22?

			--M

--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

  "$16,000!  And all he wanted to do was dip us in plaster!"

In <PORTUESI.89Sep7093226@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>,
   portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>I was just wondering if Workbench 1.3.2 fixes that bug in the
>trackdisk.device that causes PcPatch/PcCopy to fail on a one-floppy
>machine.

>From the README...

;SetPatch
;       a) Alert code fixed to work with 1 meg chip ram machines.
;       b) TrackDisk GetUnit patch added.
;       c) DOS Execute() patched that uses RUN from the resident list   .
;       d) UserState patch for 68010.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

esker@abaa.uucp (Lawrence Esker) (09/13/89)

In article <749@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>In <PORTUESI.89Sep7093226@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>,
>   portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>>I was just wondering if Workbench 1.3.2 fixes that bug in the
>>trackdisk.device that causes PcPatch/PcCopy to fail on a one-floppy
>>machine.

>;       b) TrackDisk GetUnit patch added.

Actually Larry, you don't explicitely answer the question.  I am assuming the
GetUnit patch is the one referenced by Michael.  If so, then the TDpatch
programs provided by CrossDOS are obsoleted by WB 1.3.2.  Correct?

Now my own question.  Did WB 1.3.2 fix the bug (or whatever) that crashes my
machine if I insert two floppies simultaneously (and they are recognized
simultaneously?  I am always getting bit by this on PD floppy disk backups.
I have a 2500 like machine and use SetCPU after SetPatch.

I think someone refered to it as trackdisk doing a compare with ($8000) instead
of the constant $8000, at memory $feaf9c.
--
---------- Lawrence W. Esker ----------  Modern Amish: Thou shalt not need any
                                         computer that is not IBM compatible.

timg@ziebmef.mef.org (Tim Grantham) (09/13/89)

In article <PORTUESI.89Sep7093226@tweezers.esd.sgi.com> portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:

>I was just wondering if Workbench 1.3.2 fixes that bug in the
>trackdisk.device that causes PcPatch/PcCopy to fail on a one-floppy
>machine.

[stuff deleted]

No, despite what it says in the readme file, this bug has not been fixed. At
least, I still can't get PcCopy to work unless I use the alpha 1.4 Kickstart
disk.

--

timg@ziebmef.UUCP		{uunet!mnetor!lsuc,utgpu}!ncrcan!ziebmef!timg

How many Amiga users does it take to change a light bulb?

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (09/14/89)

In article <2790@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>In article <749@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:
>>In <PORTUESI.89Sep7093226@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>,
>>   portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>>>I was just wondering if Workbench 1.3.2 fixes that bug in the
>>>trackdisk.device that causes PcPatch/PcCopy to fail on a one-floppy
>>>machine.
>
>>;       b) TrackDisk GetUnit patch added.
>
>Actually Larry, you don't explicitely answer the question.  I am assuming the
>GetUnit patch is the one referenced by Michael.  If so, then the TDpatch
>programs provided by CrossDOS are obsoleted by WB 1.3.2.  Correct?

No, you still need to run TDPatch13 with the new SetPatch. my

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (09/15/89)

In article <1989Sep13.102221.6140@ziebmef.mef.org> timg@ziebmef.mef.org
(Tim Grantham) writes:

>How many Amiga users does it take to change a light bulb?

Two.  Process A issues an OpenLibrary() on the supply of new light
bulbs, selects one (Examine()/ExNext() until it finds a suitable
one), and sends it to process B via PutMsg().  Meanwhile, process
B Open()s the closet and Seek()s a stepladder.  Process B will
then WaitPort() for the new light bulb.  When the bulb is ready,
process B can GetMsg() and perform the actual replacement via
SwapBitsRastPortClipRect(), then ReplyMsg() to process A, which
calls OnGadget().

Note:  If one of the processes will first OpenScreen() it might
be possible to avoid having to DoCollision().  This can be handled
by either process A or process B, or by a third process if it's
possible to FindTask().

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
"If tin whistles are made of tin, what do they make foghorns out of?"
     -- Lonnie Donegan

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (09/15/89)

In article <d93i026j55FE01@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> dwl10@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) writes:
>In article <2790@abaa.UUCP> esker@abaa.UUCP (Lawrence Esker) writes:
>>In article <749@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

No, it doesn't.  That bug is a problem in the TD_RAWREAD code;
it will probably be addressed in a future SetPatch.

>>>;       b) TrackDisk GetUnit patch added.

This bug is the one that results in a hung drive when your finger
accidently slips off the disk eject button, and the partially
removed disk plunges back into the drive, which gets trackdisk somewhat
confused.  (actually, its tough to get it to fail on purpose, at least
for me...but others seem to have more luck.  Anyway, that's what the
Trackdisk GetUnit patch does...Trackdisk wasn't always allocating
the unit it was writing to)
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

Life gets pretty complex the minute you stop mooing.

In article <7924@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:

>No, it doesn't.  That bug is a problem in the TD_RAWREAD code;
>it will probably be addressed in a future SetPatch.

	Yes, it can be done (barely) but isn't easy.

>This bug is the one that results in a hung drive when your finger
>accidently slips off the disk eject button, and the partially
>removed disk plunges back into the drive, which gets trackdisk somewhat
>confused.  (actually, its tough to get it to fail on purpose, at least
>for me...but others seem to have more luck.  Anyway, that's what the
>Trackdisk GetUnit patch does...Trackdisk wasn't always allocating
>the unit it was writing to)

	Actually, that's a filesystem bug in the OFS.  The GetUnit bug is
the random drive-lockup problem, with drive light and motor going forever.
Happens most often during heavy disk activity when there are some empty drives
(never happens if they're full).  The more empty drives, the greater the
(still fairly remote) chance of lockup.

	This also caused problems for people using the disk resource to control
the disk hardware: sometimes trackdisk would give their unit away, and
someone else would start using it.

Common phrase heard at Amiga Devcon '89: "It's in there!"