[comp.sys.amiga] The first MAJOR wrinkle shows up on the old 1000!!!

donw@zehntel (Don White) (09/16/89)

[ This space for rent.]

     A friend of mine came over to show me a great game he just bought. It was
  called Bloodwych. He bought it for his Amiga 500. He'd been telling me about
  it for a week or two.

     It would not boot on the 1000. I tried it on my brothers' 2000. It works
  without a problem. My friend says his 500 does not have a problem. Both the
  2000 and the 500 have expansion memory, so that's not the problem.  And all
  my other  programs  work without a problem.  And my memory checking program
  says my memory is fine.  So, there seems to be  one conclusion.  It just is
  not compatible with the Amiga 1000. OUCH!!!

     [I am, of course, talking about the master copy of the program.]
     [I am not a pirate.                                            ]

     This is odd because, the graphics are not especially fast or detailed.
  The sound is not incredible. And, the game does not require lightning fast
  reflexes. So, what gives? Just bad programming?

     From my short look at it on the Amiga 2000, it looks like a Dungeon Master
  style game (which IS my favorite) so it is a shame I cannot buy this program!

     If the authors are on this network, or if you are a friend of a friend of
  the programmers of Bloodwych. Please get the message to them.

     The 1000 CAN ONLY BECOME OBSOLETE when PROGRAMMERS stop supporting it.
  Commodore doesn't really decide this, third party developers do.

     For those of you that suffered through this posting. Thanks!
     For those that didin't ... THPTHPTHPOTHPTHPT!!!!
     (They won't see this anyway. ;-)

     Don White
     Box 271177
     Concord, CA. 94527-1177
     zehntel!donw

rusty@fe2o3.UUCP (Rusty Haddock) (09/16/89)

In article <1434@zehntel.UUCP> donw@zehntel (Don White) writes:
   >[ This space for rent.]
   >
   >     A friend of mine came over to show me a great game he just bought. It was
   >     It would not boot on the 1000. I tried it on my brothers' 2000. It works
   >  ... So, there seems to be  one conclusion.  It just is
   >  not compatible with the Amiga 1000. OUCH!!!

*SEEMS* is the keyword here.  Did you ever stop to think that JUST MAYBE the
disk is unreadable by your A1000's disk drive?  This could be caused by the
disk's head being out of alignment.  If the game doesn't require 1-Meg of
chip RAM and/or certain keys that are only on a 2000 and 500 (although this
is unlikely) the machines are very much the same from a software's point of
view.

One thing to try to find out:  If the disk can be copied and your A1000 has
an external driver then trying copying the game to a floppy in your internal
drive.  Now try booting.  This way, if your external drive can read the
floppy, your internal can write the format the way it likes, screwed up as it
may be (if it's not too screwed up).  If this works maybe you need to get
your floppy adjusted.  Then again.... it could be the drive's rotation
speed.

DISCLAIMER:  NO!  I AM NOT SUGGESTING PIRACY!!!  THIS IS ONLY FOR
	     TEST PURPOSES.

CONCLUSION:  There are still too many factors unknown about your predicament
	     and thusly it's not evident that your Amiga1000 (or mine) is
	     getting wrinkles.

Still, let us know what happens.

Good luck!

		-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock		o  {uunet,att,rutgers}!mimsy.umd.edu!fe2o3!rusty
Laurel, Maryland	o  "IBM sucks silicon!" -- PC Banana Jr, "Bloom County"