[comp.sys.amiga] Zoo doesn't like my hard disk

tj@cis.ohio-state.edu (Todd R. Johnson) (09/12/89)

	I'm having severe problems trying to use Zoo 2.00 on my HD (an
HF2000/Q80S).  Whenever I try to modify a zoo archive that is on the
disk or add specific files to a new archive, zoo appears to step
through the entire partition before doing anything.  Since my
partition is 60 Meg this takes a considerable amount of time.
Strangely, zoo a foo.zoo * seems to work just fine as long foo.zoo
does not yet exist.  Has anyone else had similar problems?  Is there a
more recent version of zoo out?  Should I just port UnixZoo 2.01?

	---Todd
	tj@cis.ohio-state.edu

ba@m2-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (09/15/89)

>        I'm having severe problems trying to use Zoo 2.00 on my HD (an
>HF2000/Q80S).  Whenever I try to modify a zoo archive that is on the
>disk or add specific files to a new archive, zoo appears to step
>through the entire partition before doing anything.  Since my
>partition is 60 Meg this takes a considerable amount of time.
>Strangely, zoo a foo.zoo * seems to work just fine as long foo.zoo
>does not yet exist.  Has anyone else had similar problems?  Is there a
>more recent version of zoo out?  Should I just port UnixZoo 2.01?

Been having the same problem here.  I have several
partitions with 500+ files in them.  I don't know what zoo
is doing, (examining every file before -add'ing to the
correct one?) but expect a length delay.  Several minutes.
And without any type of "still working" msg.

Where is AmigaZIP????
or call Sharewarer's BBS at 313-473-2020 24hrs, PCP thru MIDET, 100% Amiga

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (09/15/89)

From article <3928@m2-net.UUCP>, by ba@m2-net.UUCP (Bill Allen):

> Been having the same problem here.  I have several
> partitions with 500+ files in them.  I don't know what zoo
> is doing, (examining every file before -add'ing to the
> correct one?) but expect a length delay.  Several minutes.
> And without any type of "still working" msg.

	Me too, zoo seems to do something very strange, when
	I create or list zoo archive in directory with
	40+ files.  Extracting somehow doesn't do
	anything strange.

	I have 20M Supradrive and 20M Vortex-harddisk on
	A500.

--

pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject

rodger@hpdml93.HP.COM (Rodger Anderson) (09/16/89)

Zoo seems to like to scan the entire current directory for some
operations.  I noticed this when I tried to do a verify of freshly
downloaded zoo archives.  I guess adding does this also.  Anyway, to get
around the delay, but your pertinant files into their own directory, so
it doesn't take so long to do a the scan.  This is probably the only
thing about zoo that I don't like.

--
Rodger Anderson (rodger@hpdml93)
              or(rodger%hpdml93@hplabs.hp.com)

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/17/89)

In article <380041@hpdml93.HP.COM> rodger@hpdml93.HP.COM (Rodger Anderson) writes:
>Zoo seems to like to scan the entire current directory for some
>operations.  I noticed this when I tried to do a verify of freshly
>downloaded zoo archives.  I guess adding does this also.  Anyway, to get
>around the delay, but your pertinant files into their own directory, so
>it doesn't take so long to do a the scan.  This is probably the only
>thing about zoo that I don't like.

Not only does it add a wildcard when you don't want it to, (try 'zoo v
foo' with no files that start with 'foo', and it will say it can't find
foo*.zoo) but it doesn't do wildcard expansion when it would make sense
to, like for extraction.  ('zoo x big*' for big1.zoo and big2.zoo gives
'can't find big*.zoo)

I think the unneeded directory scan is even worse than just one scan.  I
suspect it scans the entire directory once for each file in the
directory, or something equally silly.  Try 'zoo v foo'  on a directory
containing a hundred files or so.  You'll have time for a coffee break
before it finds foo.zoo.

>--
>Rodger Anderson (rodger@hpdml93)
>              or(rodger%hpdml93@hplabs.hp.com)