[comp.sys.amiga] digiview -> IFF

MSW@mplvax.sri.com (Mark S. Williams) (09/01/89)

I got the Neptune pictures from Stanford and uncompressed them on my
amiga. Now what do I do - I don't have DigiView. Is there some way to
convert a DigiView picture to IFF?

Thanks,

Mark Williams
msw@mplvax.sri.com

rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) (09/02/89)

In article <DEEIIU@mplvax.sri.com> MSW@mplvax.sri.com (Mark S. Williams) writes:
>I got the Neptune pictures from Stanford and uncompressed them on my
>amiga. Now what do I do - I don't have DigiView. Is there some way to
>convert a DigiView picture to IFF?

I got a few of those pictures as well.  Namely:  bigtriton.Z crater.Z whole.Z
spots.Z.  I was under the impression that they COULD be displayed on the
amiga.  The message said it could be displayed with digiview 3.0 software.

After I ftp'd the files over to my account, I uuencoded them, and used
kermit to transfer the file.  Then localy, I un-uuencoded (the machine I'm
on seems to kill binary transfers 100% of the time :-( the files and had
no errors.

The file still had the .Z ending.  What is that ending?  I tried un-zooing
the file, but it didn't recognise it.  Ditto for arc etc... To display, I tried
transfer 24, and digiview-3.0 software, but they wouldn't even load.

Can sombody reply? (to the net, my account probably will be wiped shortly)

thanks

tony@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (09/02/89)

In article <DEEIIU@mplvax.sri.com> MSW@mplvax.sri.com (Mark S. Williams) writes:
>I got the Neptune pictures from Stanford and uncompressed them on my
>amiga. Now what do I do - I don't have DigiView. Is there some way to
>convert a DigiView picture to IFF?

uuuuuuuhh...  Well, actually, DigiView pictures ARE in IFF format, they just
aren't immediately displayable because they use 21 planes of direct color,
insted of 1 to 6 planes indexed.  I believe that the Neptune pictures are
in GIF format (at least the ones I got were), so you need a GIF to IFF
converter, and as someone pointed out, these pics are monocrome, and 256
levels of grey, so they probably won't display well on the amiga.  I printed
them out directly with the full 256 levels of gray, and they are pretty neat.
Just needs some color.

-- Tony

--

Tony Parkhurst	( tony@hp-sdd.HP.COM )

"Is this Hell?  Or is this Texas?" "Both" -- Heinlein, _J_O_B: _A _C_o_m_e_d_y _o_f _J_u_s_t_i_c_e

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (09/03/89)

In article <16232@watdragon.waterloo.edu> rtczegledi@crocus.waterloo.edu (Richard Czegledi) writes:
>I got a few of those pictures as well.  Namely:  bigtriton.Z crater.Z whole.Z
>spots.Z.  I was under the impression that they COULD be displayed on the
>amiga.  The message said it could be displayed with digiview 3.0 software.

You need to use the 'uncompress' program to expand the *.Z files into the
raw data files that DigiView needs.  It's on Fred Fish disk #51 or on any
Unix system.

Use "copy AmigaLibDisk51:compress/compress c:uncompress" so the the program
will have the right name.

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: JMS@F74.TYMNET.COM or jms@tymix.tymnet.com
McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

In article <2514@hp-sdd.hp.com> tony@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>In article <DEEIIU@mplvax.sri.com> MSW@mplvax.sri.com (Mark S. Williams) writes:
>>I got the Neptune pictures from Stanford and uncompressed them on my
>>amiga. Now what do I do - I don't have DigiView. Is there some way to
>>convert a DigiView picture to IFF?
>uuuuuuuhh...  Well, actually, DigiView pictures ARE in IFF format, they just
>aren't immediately displayable because they use 21 planes of direct color,
>insted of 1 to 6 planes indexed.  I believe that the Neptune pictures are
>in GIF format (at least the ones I got were), so you need a GIF to IFF
>converter, and as someone pointed out, these pics are monocrome, and 256
>levels of grey, so they probably won't display well on the amiga.

Sorry, you've got it all wrong.

When you tell DigiView to "Save RBG", it saves the raw data.  Width times
height bytes of red data, that many bytes of blue data, and the same for
green data.  There is no "FORM", no byte count, no ILBM, no color palette,
nothing but raw data.  That is NOT IFF format.  DigiView recognizes raw
data only if the length of the input file exactly matches the current
screen resolution (for monochrome) or exactly 3 times the number of
pixels on the screen (for RGB).

The pictures from Stanford are raw monochrome data, not GIF.  After using
the "uncompress" program on *.Z, if you try "1>TYPE TRITON HEX" you will
see that the bytes range from 00 to 0F only.  That is, these pictures
use only 16 out of 256 potential levels of gray.  They do display well
on the Amiga.

--

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (09/04/89)

In article <2514@hp-sdd.hp.com> tony@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>In article <DEEIIU@mplvax.sri.com> MSW@mplvax.sri.com (Mark S. Williams) writes:
>>I got the Neptune pictures from Stanford and uncompressed them on my
>>amiga. Now what do I do - I don't have DigiView. Is there some way to
>>convert a DigiView picture to IFF?
>
>uuuuuuuhh...  Well, actually, DigiView pictures ARE in IFF format, they just
>aren't immediately displayable because they use 21 planes of direct color,

WRONG!

The Digi-View 21 bit format is NOT IFF. And, does not conform to the accepted
standard specified by Commodore for deep IFF pictures. (Actually, that
standard was, in fact, defined by ASDG and modified by Justin McCormick).

Note to all authors writing deep pixel manipulation programs: You are well
advised to start supporting the ASDG standard since it has been adopted by
commodore.

I will have someone post the implementation details shortly - if there is
interest.

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!

gsarff@sarek.UUCP (Gary Sarff) (09/05/89)

In article <2514@hp-sdd.hp.com>, tony@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>In article <DEEIIU@mplvax.sri.com> MSW@mplvax.sri.com (Mark S. Williams) writes:
>>I got the Neptune pictures from Stanford and uncompressed them on my
>>amiga. Now what do I do - I don't have DigiView. Is there some way to
>>convert a DigiView picture to IFF?
>
>uuuuuuuhh...  Well, actually, DigiView pictures ARE in IFF format, they just
>aren't immediately displayable because they use 21 planes of direct color,
>insted of 1 to 6 planes indexed.  I believe that the Neptune pictures are
>in GIF format (at least the ones I got were), so you need a GIF to IFF
>converter, and as someone pointed out, these pics are monocrome, and 256
>levels of grey, so they probably won't display well on the amiga.  I printed
>them out directly with the full 256 levels of gray, and they are pretty neat.
>Just needs some color.
>
>-- Tony
I have been using the new sliced-ham viewer and it's related programs
(giftotmp, supercon2, shamview) to view the neptune gif pictures, (I got
neptune1-7, clouds, and one other.  I didn't get my pictures from Stanford,
and mine were GIF format.)  There was a nice color one of neptune I got off
of PeopleLink (framegrabbed from live CNN broadcast, that is where I got the
sliced-ham programs also.) Anyone having problems with the pictures, take
heart.  They do seem to work, if you can get them masticated into a format
you amiga will digest.  If Stanford has raw bitmaps it might be easier to get
those.

The best swords can cut you and you don't even know you have been cut until
you start to bleed.

tony@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (09/06/89)

In article <557@tardis.Tymnet.COM> jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) writes:
>In article <2514@hp-sdd.hp.com> tony@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>>In article <DEEIIU@mplvax.sri.com> MSW@mplvax.sri.com (Mark S. Williams) writes:
>>>I got the Neptune pictures from Stanford and uncompressed them on my
>>>amiga. Now what do I do - I don't have DigiView. Is there some way to
>>>convert a DigiView picture to IFF?

>>uuuuuuuhh...  Well, actually, DigiView pictures ARE in IFF format, they just
>>aren't immediately displayable because they use 21 planes of direct color,
>>insted of 1 to 6 planes indexed.  I believe that the Neptune pictures are
>>in GIF format (at least the ones I got were), so you need a GIF to IFF
>>converter, and as someone pointed out, these pics are monocrome, and 256
>>levels of grey, so they probably won't display well on the amiga.

>Sorry, you've got it all wrong.

Normally, I don't mind someone correcting me on a few points, but I get
a little annoyed with the "you're all wrong" attitude, especially when it
ain't so.

>When you tell DigiView to "Save RBG", it saves the raw data.  Width times
>height bytes of red data, that many bytes of blue data, and the same for
>green data.  There is no "FORM", no byte count, no ILBM, no color palette,
>nothing but raw data.  That is NOT IFF format.  DigiView recognizes raw
>data only if the length of the input file exactly matches the current
>screen resolution (for monochrome) or exactly 3 times the number of
>pixels on the screen (for RGB).

So, "You've got it all wrong."  Have you looked at the output from DigiView,
it indeed DOES have a FORM, ILBM, but no color map.  It follows the IFF
standard perfectly.  It just uses 21 planes of data, 7 each of R, G, and B.
(If you would like, I can post a program I wrote that will read this file,etc)

While it might be so that you can read "raw" (not IFF) RGB into
DigiView, the "Save RGB" _does_ output an IFF file less a color palette.
If you look in the BMHD chunk, it specifies number of planes as 21
instead of the usual 1 thru 6.  (At least with DigiView version 3.0).

>The pictures from Stanford are raw monochrome data, not GIF.  After using
>the "uncompress" program on *.Z, if you try "1>TYPE TRITON HEX" you will
>see that the bytes range from 00 to 0F only.  That is, these pictures
>use only 16 out of 256 potential levels of gray.  They do display well
>on the Amiga.

The pictures I got from a different machine were in GIF format, and used
all 256 levels a grey, with a resolution of 640 by 480.  They look like
they were created by a framegrabber, from a video source, and it looks
like it was shot directly from the screen of some NASA type computer
(complete with info showing data correction).

However, the picture that someone posted here (from the Stanford machine),
and said to be processed by DigiView, has a resolution of 320 by 216, has
a 16 color palette, and is in HAM mode (6 planes).  It also is in color.
I am curious as to WHY it has color.  (It is pretty tho.)  I did not see
the broadcast "live" of these pictures, but I thought that they were sent
in monocrome from Voyager, and color processed later.  So, if this is the
case, who added the color?  NASA, or some Amiga junkie :-?

-- Tony

--

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (09/07/89)

>In article <DEEIIU@mplvax.sri.com> MSW@mplvax.sri.com (Mark S. Williams) writes:
Mark>I got the Neptune pictures from Stanford and uncompressed them on my
Mark>amiga. Now what do I do - I don't have DigiView. Is there some way to
Mark>convert a DigiView picture to IFF?

We (Tony and I) did not answer Mark's real question in the first set of
postings.  It was not "converting DigiView picture to IFF" but rather "How
does one convert DigiView-compatible raw data into 'normal' IFF picture?"
There are many answers, including 1) Use DigiView or Transfer24, 2) Use the
fbm set of routines that were posted to comp.sources.unix in March, 3) write
your own quick hack, etc.  Sorry for straying from the real subject.

In article <2518@hp-sdd.hp.com> tony@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>So, "You've got it all wrong."  Have you looked at the output from DigiView,
>it indeed DOES have a FORM, ILBM, but no color map.  It follows the IFF
>standard perfectly.  It just uses 21 planes of data, 7 each of R, G, and B.
>(If you would like, I can post a program I wrote that will read this file,etc)

I stand corrected.

>>>256 levels of grey, so they probably won't display well on the amiga.

Looks great.

>However, the picture that someone posted here (from the Stanford machine),
>and said to be processed by DigiView, has a resolution of 320 by 216, has
>a 16 color palette, and is in HAM mode (6 planes).  It also is in color.
>I am curious as to WHY it has color.  (It is pretty tho.)  I did not see
>the broadcast "live" of these pictures, but I thought that they were sent
>in monocrome from Voyager, and color processed later.  So, if this is the
>case, who added the color?  NASA, or some Amiga junkie :-?

I've only seen one picture posted to this newsgroup.  The poster did not
claim that the picture came from Stanford.  It does, however, look
suspiciously like he pointed a camera at the cover of Newsweek magazine.
(Check out the moon in the upper left.)  That explains the color.
--

tony@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (09/09/89)

In article <826@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>In article <2514@hp-sdd.hp.com> tony@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) writes:

>>uuuuuuuhh...  Well, actually, DigiView pictures ARE in IFF format, they just
>>aren't immediately displayable because they use 21 planes of direct color,

>WRONG!

>The Digi-View 21 bit format is NOT IFF. And, does not conform to the accepted
>standard specified by Commodore for deep IFF pictures. (Actually, that
>standard was, in fact, defined by ASDG and modified by Justin McCormick).
                                   ^^^^
	(Why doesn't this surprize me? )

Ok, please then, breifly explain the difference between Digi-View's 21
bit IFF and "REAL" IFF ?  Secondly, when did it get adopted by Commiedore
in relation to DigiView's format.  I ask because your tone implies some
past conflict over this.  And, please explain why Digi-View's implementation
of 21 bit IFF is not a logical extension of the currently published IFF
standard (which says little about 21-bit stuff).

>Note to all authors writing deep pixel manipulation programs: You are well
>advised to start supporting the ASDG standard since it has been adopted by
>commodore.

Ooooooh.  What a threatening tone.  Why are you so upset about this whole
thing?  Or are you just being a jerk?

So, since you implied that this is a well kept secret, why don't you post
some details of the "standard".  Does it maintain some of the sillinesses
of IFF for compatibility, or did you do it "right"?

-- Tony

( PS:  Feel free to send e-mail, I LOVE e-mail).
--

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (09/13/89)

In article <2539@hp-sdd.hp.com> tony@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>Ok, please then, breifly explain the difference between Digi-View's 21
>bit IFF and "REAL" IFF ?

The Digi-View 21 bit format orders the bit planes in the opposite order
as IFF. Their ordering is high to low - iff is low to high. They also
interleave the Red, Green, and Blue bit planes. Our format provides all
n Red, n Green, and n Blue bit planes sequentially.

>Secondly, when did it get adopted by Commiedore
>in relation to DigiView's format.

The deep pixel format has been discussed for about 8 months on bix. It
was adopted by popular consent by the developer community at the developer's
conference.

>And, please explain why Digi-View's implementation
>of 21 bit IFF is not a logical extension of the currently published IFF
>standard (which says little about 21-bit stuff).

Try taking existing IFF code and coverting it to read Digi-View 21 bit
format. If your changes require more 2 minutes to make, you've answered
your own question.

>>Note to all authors writing deep pixel manipulation programs: You are well
>>advised to start supporting the ASDG standard since it has been adopted by
>>commodore.
>
>Ooooooh.  What a threatening tone.  Why are you so upset about this whole
>thing?  Or are you just being a jerk?

I did not intend to strike a threatening tone. I am not upset at all.
Why did you feel it was important to call me a jerk?

>So, since you implied that this is a well kept secret, why don't you post
>some details of the "standard".  Does it maintain some of the sillinesses
>of IFF for compatibility, or did you do it "right"?

Aaron Avery will be posting a full explanation of the deep pixel standard
by next week. As far as maintaining ``sillinesses'', I expect you'll be
ever so eager to judge for yourself.

--

tony@hp-sdd.hp.com (Tony Parkhurst) (09/15/89)

In article <849@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>In article <2539@hp-sdd.hp.com> tony@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>>Ok, please then, breifly explain the difference between Digi-View's 21
>>bit IFF and "REAL" IFF ?

>The Digi-View 21 bit format orders the bit planes in the opposite order
>as IFF. Their ordering is high to low - iff is low to high. They also

Ok, this is true.

>interleave the Red, Green, and Blue bit planes. Our format provides all
>n Red, n Green, and n Blue bit planes sequentially.

No, the Digi-View pics are grouped also.  That is, the planes are in this
order:  r6r5r4r3r2r1r0g6g5g4g3g2g1g0b6b5b4b3b2b1b0

>>Secondly, when did it get adopted by Commiedore
>>in relation to DigiView's format.

>The deep pixel format has been discussed for about 8 months on bix. It
>was adopted by popular consent by the developer community at the developer's
>conference.

Any particular reason that it wasn't discussed on comp.sys.amiga?
(Just curious, and "because BIX was adopted by Commodeore as the developer's
standard" is not a very good reason :-)

>>And, please explain why Digi-View's implementation
>>of 21 bit IFF is not a logical extension of the currently published IFF
>>standard (which says little about 21-bit stuff).

>Try taking existing IFF code and coverting it to read Digi-View 21 bit
>format. If your changes require more 2 minutes to make, you've answered
>your own question.

Cute answer.  As it turns out, my application has to convert both HAM and
DigiView pics to 24 bits/pixel anyway, and sure enough (as you pointed out),
the reverse ordering of the planes was what took me longest to figure out.

>>Ooooooh.  What a threatening tone.  Why are you so upset about this whole
>>thing?  Or are you just being a jerk?

>I did not intend to strike a threatening tone. I am not upset at all.
>Why did you feel it was important to call me a jerk?

Actually, I used the word "jerk" in reference to you starting your note with

"WRONG"

soon after I had posted a reply to someone else (in the same note
string) saying that it annoys me when someone starts a reply with
"You've got it all wrong."  when that ain't necessarily so.
I apologize.

>>Tony (apparently an overly sensitive fellow) Parkhurst

Well, starting a reply with "WRONG" sort of sets the tone for anything
else you say in your article, and  ~" [you guys] had better start supporting
this..."~ follows thru with that tone, doesn't it?

-- Tony ( A jerk also, but it takes one to know one, doesn't it? ) Parkhurst.
--

aaron@madnix.UUCP (Aaron Avery) (09/17/89)

In article <2554@hp-sdd.hp.com> tony@hp-sdd.UUCP (Tony Parkhurst) writes:
>In article <849@madnix.UUCP> perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) writes:
>>interleave the Red, Green, and Blue bit planes. Our format provides all
>>n Red, n Green, and n Blue bit planes sequentially.
>
>No, the Digi-View pics are grouped also.  That is, the planes are in this
>order:  r6r5r4r3r2r1r0g6g5g4g3g2g1g0b6b5b4b3b2b1b0

That's very interesting...
I'm sure you're right about this, since you've apparently created images
from their files. However, during the file format discussions on BIX, the
guy from NewTek was awfully sure that their format is interleaved thusly:
r6g6b6r5g5b5r4g4b4r3g3b3r2g2b2r1g1b1r0g0b0

Who knows, maybe they changed their format along the way, and it just depends
on which version of DigiView you're using, how the files turn out.

- Aaron

--
Aaron Avery, ASDG Inc.         "A mime is a terrible thing to waste."
                                                             -- Robin Williams