[comp.sys.amiga] GUI Portability was Mac <===> Amiga

jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (09/11/89)

Thanks Rob Peck for your comments regarding the Lattice Mac Libraries.

I now wonder if the X11 package is now the way to go if you want to
write windowing programs that can be used on different machines.
Can anyone using the X11 package indicate if it comes complete with
the  COMPLETE X11 Libraries?

Specifically could I use it to write a graphical
windowing program that would compile on the AMIGA as well as porting
easily to a machine running unix X11?

(I understand that if I have X11 running on my AMIGA, I could run
the X11 application on the unix machine and have a GUI to my program
on the amiga. But I would like to run the programs on either processor.)

 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-3055
 Room 256 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
 UUCP: {rutgers,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-cvsvax!jea
 INTERNET: jea@snipe.cvs.rochester.edu

abbadon@nuchat.UUCP (David Neal) (09/12/89)

In article <2982@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:

>Specifically could I use it to write a graphical
>windowing program that would compile on the AMIGA as well as porting
>easily to a machine running unix X11?

Assuming you wrote fairly portable code (an ansi compiler on each end
like gcc would go a long way to help you there...) your code should
port fairly quickly. I understand things like font sizes and display
resolution sizes are "hard wired?"  although X11R3 apparently has
"font wildcard" support now.
>(I understand that if I have X11 running on my AMIGA, I could run
>the X11 application on the unix machine and have a GUI to my program
>on the amiga. But I would like to run the programs on either processor.)

My limited exposure to X has shown that to be quite true.
> Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-3055
> UUCP: {rutgers,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-cvsvax!jea

On a different note, it has occured to me that Commodore could
help push the amiga if they licensed Dale's X11 technology
and included it with the amiga. I would gladly buy another 500
or 2000 tomorrow if X11/Ethernet/SLIP (or any combo thereof) were
bundled in. Of course the price would go up some, but this kind
of move seems much more doable and cheaper than new 16 channel
sound chips and 68040 machines and other fantasies. But I'm
guessing this (X11) is just as high on most people's wish lists.

It is mine. I'd use my stock A500 running X over my 3/50 any day
of the week. That's saying something since I love Sunos and that
big screen.

David Neal
abbadon@nuchat.uucp

ckp@grebyn.com (Checkpoint Technologies) (09/13/89)

In article <2982@ur-cc.UUCP> jea@cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) writes:
>I now wonder if the X11 package is now the way to go if you want to
>write windowing programs that can be used on different machines.
>Can anyone using the X11 package indicate if it comes complete with
>the  COMPLETE X11 Libraries?

Has anyone considered (or know what it would take) to write a MOTIF
(i.e., OSF's interface of choice) library.  Commodore is working on a
Standard Amiga Library, right?  Well, why not just coincidently make it
perfectly *software* compatible with MOTIF?  Now, programs written with
this library would still use intuition and work and look like Amiga
programs.  But from the programmers point of view, it would look like a
MOTIF application.  Considering that in the very near future ZILLIONS of
applications are going to be written for MOTIF, this would make it
extremely easy to port those applications to the Amiga.  Can you imagine
the WEALTH of applications we would have!!!

I'm assuming that because MOTIF is written for a multi-tasking graphical
environment that could be reproduced relatively easily on the Amiga.
Again, I'm talking about the programmer's environment -- i.e., the
system calls -- not the graphical environment.  I am thinking that MOTIF
is high-level-enough to be usable as a standard "front end" to
intuition, etc.

dbrooks@osf.osf.org (David Brooks) (09/17/89)

In article <13724@grebyn.com> ckp@grebyn.UUCP (Checkpoint Technologies) writes:

>Has anyone considered (or know what it would take) to write a MOTIF
>(i.e., OSF's interface of choice) library.

I know of a licensee who has done exactly that.  I'll see if he wants
to be identified publicly (are you listening, George?).  At $1000 per
source license, I'd venture that it isn't something you'd want to
undertake lightly.  Rather, look out for some binary availability.

>  I am thinking that MOTIF
>is high-level-enough to be usable as a standard "front end" to
>intuition, etc.

Knowing next to nothing about intuition, I have my doubts.  There may
be too much of a paradigm clash.  I'm willing to be pleasantly surprised.
--
David Brooks			dbrooks@osf.org
Open Software Foundation	uunet!osf.org!dbrooks