[comp.sys.amiga] Bay area Amiga dealers

ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) (09/06/89)

I have a friend in Pacifica, CA, who is shopping for a computer.  Can
someone point him to a good Amiga dealer in the San Francisco Bay area?
He is interested in a good A2000 system.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cis.unix.pitt.edu

terry@helios (Terry Ricketts) (09/07/89)

	The oldest and best dealer in the Bay Area is HT Electronics. It
is located at the corner of Mathilda and Maude ave in Sunnyvale. There is
another good dealer in SF on Geary, but I forget the name (Computer Showcase
 I think).

owen@acad.UUCP (Owen Rowley) (09/07/89)

In article <19447@unix.cis.pitt.edu> ejkst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

>I have a friend in Pacifica, CA, who is shopping for a computer.  Can
>someone point him to a good Amiga dealer in the San Francisco Bay area?
>He is interested in a good A2000 system.

Tell him to try the folks at
Computer Showcase
Geary st (near Masonic)
SF, Ca.

its an easy drive up 280 to 19th ave
and hang a right on Geary

LUX .. owen

daves@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Dave Scroggins) (09/12/89)

Eric,

>I have a friend in Pacifica, CA, who is shopping for a computer.  Can
>someone point him to a good Amiga dealer in the San Francisco Bay area?
>He is interested in a good A2000 system.

Tell you friend to NOT, for any reason, to go to the Amiga dealer in the
Tanforan Shopping Center. (He will know of the place, being in Pacifica.)

The folks there wouldn't know a 2000 if it bit them on the ass!!

Fry's down in Si. Valley isn't much better.

HT's seems to be the best, but they are not, "Programmers" by their own
addmission. So even at HT's he should know what he wants before going
there.

I have heard that GO Amigo has the best prices (in their showroom), but
I haven't been there yet.

Dave S.

gmz@PacBell.COM (Gerry Zeitlin) (09/13/89)

I would recommend Winners Circle in Berkeley at 2618 Telegraph,
845-4814.  They don't specialize in Amigas, and they are always
crowded and busy, but those people there who know and handle
Amigas are VERY knowledgable and won't give you a bum steer.

Ask for Jack, for example.

I would assume that their prices are not particularly low, but
I think they're competitive.

-gerry zeitlin
gmz@pacbell.com
415-867-6477

r_carlson@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Richard_Carlson) (09/13/89)

/ hpfcdj:comp.sys.amiga / gmz@PacBell.COM (Gerry Zeitlin) /  1:04 pm  Sep 12, 1989 /
> I would recommend Winners Circle in Berkeley at 2618 Telegraph,
> 845-4814.  They don't specialize in Amigas, and they are always
> crowded and busy, but those people there who know and handle
> Amigas are VERY knowledgable and won't give you a bum steer.
----------
I was trying to restrain myself, but I just can't let this posting go by
unchallenged :-).

I put up with the Winners Circle people for two years, and eventually reached
the point where I refused to set foot in the door.  They *are* always crowded
and busy (I can handle that), but worse, they always gave me the impression
that they didn't give a darn about me as a customer (that is inexcusable).
Maybe the story would be different if I had been asking about high-priced
hardware rather than software...

Very knowledgable?  Maybe if you ask them the right questions.  They're
batting about .000 with my questions, e.g.

ME: "My 2000 flakes out after being on for a couple of minutes, and I've
   isolated the problem to a crystal oscillator; could I buy a replacement?"
THEM: "That couldn't possibly be the problem---it's probably one of the
   custom chips; but I'll sell you the oscillator anyway."
[The oscillator solved the problem.]

ME: "I'm looking for a drawing program that supports splines."
THEM: Some mumbledeegook about a demo they had seen that included wheels.
[Last I checked, you can draw wheels quite nicely using plain old circles.]

ME: "I would like to buy the 1.3 Enhancer."
THEM: "We're sold out, but should get some in a couple of weeks.  Let me
   get your name and number and put you on the waiting list."
[I never heard anything more from them [but got 1.3 elsewhere].]

So, your mileage may vary, but I would suggest going somewhere else.

-- Richard
...hplabs!hpfcmb!carlson

Re: Dave Scroggins' reply:

	HT's seems to be the best, but they are not, "Programmers" by their own
	addmission. So even at HT's he should know what he wants before going
	there.

True.  Note, though, their staff is VERY helpful.  And the OTHER CUSTOMERS are
also very helpful.

On any given weekday afternoon, or Saturday or Sunday, it's common to find
many Amiga developers at HT.  Rob Peck works (at Ardent (now Stardent)) just
2 blocks away.  Jay Miner frequents HT, as do Chuck McManis, Mike Smithwick,
Alan Hastings, Mike Lehman, and many others (myself included :-), and I've note
one interesting thing about the Amiga community: the willingness to help others
.

HT also has the full gamut of Amiga software, hardware and accessories (incl.
laser printers, graphics tablets, accelerators, HDs, etc).  Among the store
demo machines are included A500, A2000, A2500, A1000, and another A2500 with th
Moniterm monitor (<= this is IMPRESSIVE!)

Though I haven't visited Winner's Circle (in Berkeley), the persons to ask for
there are Jack Palmatier and Randy Spencer.  I understand they (WC) serve the
North Bay as HT serves Silicon Valley.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

tlbaltad@pacengr.UUCP (Tim Baltad) (09/15/89)

At HSC try asking for John Bergstrom or Bob. If they are still working there
they are very knowledgable.
Tim

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (09/16/89)

>Comments about Winner's Circle

They invested in a JX-450 and Professional ScanLab for in-store demo
purposes. Any Amiga dealer willing to buy an 8,000 dollar demo widget
must be worth his salt.

pk

--
                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.
ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!

dillon@POSTGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) (09/19/89)

:>Comments about Winner's Circle
:
:They invested in a JX-450 and Professional ScanLab for in-store demo
:purposes. Any Amiga dealer willing to buy an 8,000 dollar demo widget
:must be worth his salt.
:
:pk

	That is, in fact, where I get most of my Amiga HW.  Software?
    They've got that too but I just write my own :-)

	Seriously, W.C. really does support the Amiga quite well.

	Just be sure you snag and hold onto an employee to help you out
    (it is sometimes difficult to tell who is an employee and who is not),
    and the place is a mad house!

>                        Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

					-Matt