[comp.sys.amiga] My Amiga 2500, HD, and saving the preferences. PROBLEM!

Dalamar@cup.portal.com (E H Mahler) (09/18/89)

  I have a standard Amiga 2500 and have had no problems (with this one,
my first one failed miserably) except for my Preferences settings. I
just noticed today that any preferences I set will not be set upon
rebooting. I have tested this by setting my printer and attempting to
use the interlaced screen. I have also attempted to make the adjustments
using the Preferences program found on both the BOOT: and WORKBENCH:
partitions with not luck. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there
any easy way around it or am I missing something obvious?

                                                    Thanks,
                                                       EM

Here is a copy of the startup-sequence on my Boot: partitions.

SetPatch >NIL:
SYS:System/FastMemFirst
mount fh0: from devs:MountList.HD
mount fh1: from devs:MountList.HD
assign >NIL: FH0: exists
IF NOT WARN
; hard disk is present
assign sys: fh0:
assign c: SYS:c
assign L: SYS:l
assign FONTS: SYS:fonts
assign S: SYS:s
assign DEVS: SYS:devs
assign LIBS: SYS:libs
assign mail: work:fidomail
assign dnet: work:dnet
assign wp: work:wp
makedir ram:tr
assign t: ram:tr
ENDIF
Addbuffers df0: 10
cd c:
echo "A2000HD/A2500 Workbench.  Release 1.3 version 34.20*N"
workbench:tools/setcpu fastrom
workbench:tools/dmouse
BindDrivers
SetClock load
FF >NIL: -0  ;speed up Text
resident CLI L:Shell-Seg SYSTEM pure add; activate Shell
resident c:Execute pure
mount newcon:
;
failat 11
run execute s:StartupII  ;This lets resident be used for rest of script
wait >NIL: 5 mins  ;wait for StartupII to complete (will signal when done)
;
SYS:System/SetMap usa1  ;Activate the ()/* on keypad
copy Boot:s/RamDisk.info Ram:Disk.info
path ram: c: sys:utilities sys:system sys:tools s: sys:prefs add
LoadWB delay  ;wait for inhibit to end before continuing
endcli >NIL:

Portal: Dalamar
UUCP/UseNet: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!dalamar
FidoMail: 1:109/207 2072
private usenet/uucp address coming soon...now all I need is a feed!! :(

In <22237@cup.portal.com>, Dalamar@cup.portal.com (E H Mahler) writes:
> [...] I have also attempted to make the adjustments
>using the Preferences program found on both the BOOT: and WORKBENCH:
>partitions with not luck. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there
>any easy way around it or am I missing something obvious?

Preferences changes a file called DEVS:system-configuration. Note the colon in
DEVS:

This means that the system-configuration file you are changing is in the
currently assigned direectory called DEVS:  When you reboot, the DEVS:
directory is on your boot disk, and the system-configuration is taken from
there. To remedy the situation, any time you run Preferences, type the
following...

copy devs:system-configuration boot:devs

    or

copy devs:system-configuration workbench:devs

depending on which it is you boot from.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (09/18/89)

In article <22237@cup.portal.com> Dalamar@cup.portal.com (E H Mahler) writes:

>  I have a standard Amiga 2500 and have had no problems (with this one,
>my first one failed miserably) except for my Preferences settings. I
>just noticed today that any preferences I set will not be set upon
>rebooting. I have tested this by setting my printer and attempting to
>use the interlaced screen. I have also attempted to make the adjustments
>using the Preferences program found on both the BOOT: and WORKBENCH:
>partitions with not luck. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there
>any easy way around it or am I missing something obvious?

You are missing something obvious. :-)

When you run preferences, and save the preferences, the save file
resides on your WorkBench partiton. When you BOOT, the system reads
the preferences from your BOOT partition.

The script CopyPrefs (In Sys:Prefs I think) will
copy the preferences file from the WorkBench partition to the
Boot partition.

This problem drove me crazy when I first got my 2500.

--
"What is another word  |  Dave Lowrey    | [The opinions expressed MAY be
 for 'Thesaurus'?"     |  Amdahl Corp.   | those of the author and are not
                       |  Houston, Texas | necessarily those of his
   Steven Wright       |  amdahl!dwl10   | employer]   (`nuff said!)

wacfeick@spurge.waterloo.edu (Wayne Feick) (09/18/89)

Your problem is that you have assigned SYS: away from your boot
partition.  When you change your preferences, you are changing the
preferences on the SYS: partition and not on your boot partition.

I had this same problem until I decided to just leave SYS: on my boot
partition.  (I had originally changed it to my FFS partition for speed
but found it didn't make a noticable difference when I returned to the
SFS partition.)

Wayne.

amercer@thor.wright.edu (Art Mercer) (09/18/89)

From article <22237@cup.portal.com>, by Dalamar@cup.portal.com (E H Mahler):

>   I have a standard Amiga 2500 and have had no problems (with this one,
>                                                     Thanks,
>                                                        EM

You need to use the copyprefs program located in the PREFS drawer.
Make sure that the script file points to the devs directory on your
boot partition. (if you have the default 2500 installation should be
OK)

Art Mercer
Assoc. Dir. Academic Computing Resources
Wright State University
Dayton, OH
45435

Dalamar@cup.portal.com (E H Mahler) (09/19/89)

  I thank those who responded to my problem so promptly - however, I am
not booting from a floppy. This was my fault in not clarifying that fact.
Yes, I am booting from the harddrive, etc... In fact, this problem takes
place even without a floppy ever touching the drives.

						Thanks,
							 E. Mahler

Portal: Dalamar
UseNet/UUCP: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!dalamar

Dalamar@cup.portal.com (E H Mahler) (09/19/89)

  Ok, I feel stupid. I misunderstood the mail I got...either that or people
thought I was booting off floppy.

  The copyPrefs routine fixed my problem, writing the data to the proper
partition.

				                Thanks again!
				E. Mahler

TCampbell@cup.portal.com (Thomas W Campbell) (09/19/89)

The problem is that Preferences is saving your prefs to your FFS partition.

Unfortunately, the 2500 w/2090a takes the prefs from the OFS DH0: partition.

I worked up a quick script for my dealer when he said several of his customer
were having the same problem.  Here it is:

; -----------Start of script-------------
Preferences
copy devs:system-configuration to dh0:devs
; -----------End of script---------------

Type in this script, save it, and turn it into a "executable" script file wit
protect's +s option.  Now when you call the script, it will update your prefs
on both the OFS and FFS devs/system-configuration files after you edit your
prefs.

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (09/19/89)

In article <22273@cup.portal.com> Dalamar@cup.portal.com (E H Mahler) writes:

>  I thank those who responded to my problem so promptly - however, I am
>not booting from a floppy. This was my fault in not clarifying that fact.
>Yes, I am booting from the harddrive, etc... In fact, this problem takes
>place even without a floppy ever touching the drives.
>
>						Thanks,
>							 E. Mahler
>
>Portal: Dalamar
>UseNet/UUCP: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!dalamar

As I, and several others, pointed out....When you boot your 2500
off of the hard disk, you are booting off the Boot: partition. All
of the system assigns are pointing to that partition. When the
system goes to read the preferences data, it gets that data from the
Boot: partition.

Now, when you finally get to the workbench, the script S:Startup-Sequence
has re-assigned all of the system's assigns to the Sys: partition on
your hard disk. When you run the Preferences program, the preferences
data is saved to the Sys: partition, NOT the Boot: partition, where it
should be for the system to find it at boot time.

To fix this, run the CopyPrefs program. It copies the Preferences data
from the Sys: partition to the Boot: partition.

Hope this clears this up for you.