[comp.sys.amiga] Modula-2 again.

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (08/29/89)

     I asked about Modula-2 before, but am again confused.
 Various people suggesed avoiding TDI and suggested M2Sprint.
 Who makes M2Sprint?  In ever catalogue I can find, they sell Benchmark
 and that's about it.  Are Benchmark, M2Sprint, and M2Amiga all Modula-2
 packages and are they from different publishers?

     Also, could anyone inform me why Turbo Pascal is available for the
 ST and not the Amiga?

     /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

            "There is no Dark Side in the Moon, really ...
                                  matter of fact it's all dark."       */

bjc@pollux.UUCP (Betty J. Clay) (08/31/89)

In article <22688@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:

> Who makes M2Sprint?  In ever catalogue I can find, they sell Benchmark
> and that's about it.  Are Benchmark, M2Sprint, and M2Amiga all Modula-2
> packages and are they from different publishers?
>

>     /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

M2Sprint is sold by M2S, Inc.
                    P. O. Box 550279
                    Dallas, Texas.

Benchmark is sold by its author, Leon Frenkl, who also lives in the Dallas
area.  You should be able to find Benchmark through most dealers.  M2S,
however, is sold only by the company itself.

Both Benchmark and M2S are well supported.  M2S is newer, and it includes
many of the things that must be purchased separately with Benchmark.  On the
other hand, Benchmark has been well established for quite some time.

Betty

Betty Clay
   .......texbell!pollux!bjc
   CompuServe      76702,337
.

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (09/02/89)

OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:

> Various people suggesed avoiding TDI and suggested M2Sprint.

I cannot comment on M2Sprint haveing never used it, but I did work with the
TDI and Benchmark Modula-2 compilers before buying the Benchmark compiler.

> Who makes M2Sprint?  In ever catalogue I can find, they sell Benchmark
> and that's about it.  Are Benchmark, M2Sprint, and M2Amiga all Modula-2
> packages and are they from different publishers?

They are from different software houses.  Benchmark Modula-2 is developed and
sold by Avant Garde software in Plano, Texas (I think it is Plano-at least
around Dallas) the author is Leon Frenkle, who is available (and willing) to
answer questions.  I recommend the Benchmark products highly.  I have two
application running now that were written with the Benchmark system.  One
product is a 50,000 card rolodex-type system with both text and graphics
display suypport.  It has been running for 8 months without a complaint for
the customer.  The development took approximately three weeks from requirement
definition to ALPHA run.  Two more weeks were required to fine tune the
system and move from ALPHA to release.  Without the Benchmark system it would
have probably taken months.

>     Also, could anyone inform me why Turbo Pascal is available for the
> ST and not the Amiga?

Send this question to Phillipe Kann.  He originally promised Turbo on the
Amiga but did not deliver.  He was pressed later about the original commitment
and for a second time publicly promised Amiga Turbo.  As far as I can see
Kann's promises are as aberrant as his Pascal.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

rap@peck.ardent.com (Rob Peck) (09/06/89)

In article <15898@pollux.UUCP> bjc@pollux.UUCP () writes:
>In article <22688@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:
>>
>> Who makes M2Sprint?  In ever catalogue I can find, they sell Benchmark
>
>Benchmark is sold by its author, Leon Frenkl, who also lives in the Dallas
>area.  You should be able to find Benchmark through most dealers.  M2S,
>however, is sold only by the company itself.

Leon has provided me with a Benchmark version of all of the source code
from the Programmer's Guide To The Amiga, translated from the original
TDI version of the code that Erv Thompson did way back when.  I understand
that the TDI version can be used almost untouched as an aid to learning
to use M2S, so now that there is a Lattice/Manx C compatible source/object
disk, and a Benchmark and a TDI/M2S Modula source/object disk, the
Programmer's Guide can now, I believe, be effectively used to learn
Modula or C.  Computer Discount and Briwall both carry the book and the
disk(s), as does DATAPATH  (POBox 1828, Los Gatos, CA 95031).

Rob Peck

intern@dasys1.UUCP (intern ) (09/06/89)

In article <22688@louie.udel.EDU> OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:

>     I asked about Modula-2 before, but am again confused.
> Various people suggesed avoiding TDI and suggested M2Sprint.
> Who makes M2Sprint?  ...
> Are Benchmark, M2Sprint, and M2Amiga all Modula-2
> packages and are they from different publishers?

Yes, all 3 are different packages from different vendors (although all,
for some mysterious reason, are all based in Texas). I have experience
with all 3.  My least favorite one is M2Amiga from Interface
Technologies (not to be confused by M2/Amiga by TDI.  TDI is dead).
Actually, I have version 1 of M2Amiga, and I know they have a new
version, so it might be better.  I use both Benchmark and M2Sprint,
and both have merits, so it's difficult for me to recommend one over
the other.  Since I'm an Emacs freak, I find M2Sprint's editor to be
the weak point (Benchmark's editor is a flavor of MicroGnuEmacs), so I
tend to do all my editing in Benchmark's editor.  Also, now that
Benchmark has a source level debugger, there's a very strong argument
for using it.  However, M2Sprint will have an SLD too in the future,
and it has its own advantages (such as ARP and ARexx support, and a
lower overall price tag).

>     Also, could anyone inform me why Turbo Pascal is available for the
> ST and not the Amiga?

I don't know, and - frankly - I don't care.  Once you try Modula-2, you
will never want to go back to Pascal.

>     /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

	- Steve -
Steve Faiwiszewski	bang   :  {sun!hoptoad , cmcl2!hombre} !dasys1!intern
			domain : intern@dasys1.UUCP

levay@stsci.EDU (Zoltan Levay) (09/06/89)

In article <22688@louie.udel.EDU>, OHA101%URIACC.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (F. Michael Theilig) writes:

>  Who makes M2Sprint?
>      /*   F. Michael Theilig               OHA101 at URIACC.Bitnet

M2Sprint is made by M2S Inc.  They advertise in AmigaWorld that they
will send you a free demo disk.  They sent me one in very short order.
Their address is:

	M2S Inc.
	P.O. Box 550279
	Dallas, TX  75355

Just for the record, I have no affiliation with M2S Inc.
--

						Zolt

aplusl@ethz.UUCP (Albert Meier) (09/20/89)

Talking about several Modula-2 compilers on the Amiga you should have a
very close look at M2Amiga that is on wide sale at lots of distributors
and mail order houses. It is the absolute bestseller here in Europe. If
you have problems to get an address where to have a look at it call ITC
in Houston (713) 523-8422 or if you are in Europe:

    .....           Albert Meier    Tel.  +41/65/52 03 11
   .. ....          A+L AG, Daederiz 61, CH-2540 Grenchen
  ..   ....
 .......A+L.        E-Mail      aplusl@ifi.ethz.(ch/UUCP)
..       .......             ...mcvax!cernvax!ethz!aplusl