[comp.sys.amiga] Escort, Expantion Technologies, Hard Drive

DOUG@UREGINA1.BITNET ("Douglas G. Stetner") (09/18/89)

> I have an Expansion Technology 48meg hard drive.  It works fine when I
> only mount the first partition.  When I mount the second, problems
> sometime occur when I copy files between the two partitions.  Workbench
> blocks forever, and any process that tries to use the harddrive will
> block forever.
> Thomas A. Mikalsen                        "Dig me ... But don't bury me."
> Rochester Institute of Technology

I have the exact same problem.  A 48 meg drive, can read from it all day
but writes (usually between partitions, but not always) lock the drive
up a lot.  I have found that workbench itself does not lock up, but the
hard drive does.  IE I can still open ram: and my floppies from WB, but
if I try DH0 or DH1, workbench wait for the drive to reply and blocks.
I also have called Expansion on this, and they sugg. grounding my pals
and I did but it did no good.  If there are others out there with this
problem, lets get talking about it and maybe the publicity will force
Expansion Tech. to do something about this.

Douglas G. Stetner             UUCP: ...tmsoft!mcl!regina!stetner!doug
#18-88 Angus Road            BITNET: DOUG@UREGINA1.CA
Regina, Sask. CANADA          PHONE: (306) 924-0779  (Home)
S4R 3L3                              (306) 585-4977  (Work)

txm2744%ritcv@cs.rit.edu (09/20/89)

In article <8909181739.AA22038@jade.berkeley.edu> DOUG@UREGINA1.BITNET ("Douglas G. Stetner") writes:
>I also have called Expansion on this, and they sugg. grounding my pals
>and I did but it did no good.  If there are others out there with this
>problem, lets get talking about it and maybe the publicity will force
>Expansion Tech. to do something about this.

When I first received my Escort from Exp. Tech, I had an Amiga 1000.
I was having the same problems then as I have now.  I called them
several times, and they told me it was poor grounding of my PALs.  My
salesmen (who's name I will look for) sent me a letter describing how to
ground my PALs.  Before attempting this, I returned my interface for a
new one.  The same problems occured.  I then "grounded my PALs."  Same
ol' problems.  It was at this point that I realized the drive functioned
perfectly when I used only one partition.  Too late though.  My 1000 died.
I traded it in for an Amiga500 (I lost my favorite computer) and got a
new interface from Exp. Tech. for the 500.  Guess what ??? Same problems
again.

At this point I said, "%^&$ it.  I'll only mount one partition for now."

I think Exp. Tech. should look into this problem.  Is it their driver?
Is it their interface?

Thomas A. Mikalsen			"Dig me ... But don't bury me."
Rochester Institute of Technology

cogswell@egrunix.UUCP (Dan Cogswell) (09/21/89)

There have been a few posts about a bug which causes Expansion Tech's Escort
SCSI drives to lock up at times.  As far as I can tell, this only happens with
the Fast File System when writing to the drive from one partition to another
(i.e.: copying from one partition to another).  The fix for this is very
simple:  change the priority of the harddisk.device from 5 to 20.  I don't
claim to be a filesystem expert, so maybe somebody could tell me (1) why this
works and (2) if there are any problems doing this.  I had my system working
this way (A500) for nearly a year without any problems.

Also, to anyone that's interested, I wrote a small program to change the
priority of a task based on it's name.  THis allows your system to boot up
everytime with the correct priority for the device (if you put it in your
startup-sequence, that is).

Dan Cogswell
ph: (313)625-3234 (home-me work?)

"If there's no noise in a vacuum, how come my vacuum cleaner is so loud?"