[comp.sys.amiga] hard disk care question

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (09/21/89)

A couple months back, I bought a Seagate ST-157N hard drive for my
A1000 (yeah, I know it was a foolish move) along with a
Starboard/Stardrive interface, a case and power supply.

I have noticed that the hard disk gets very hot when in operation.  It
is still possible to place your hand on the top of the drive when it
is operating, but it is somewhat uncomfortable to do so.

I thought the reason why it was getting hot was that it was enclosed
in a case without a fan.  However, even when I removed the drive from
the casing and let it set bare on the table, it still got very hot
during operation.

I know that running a drive hot is very bad for its life cycle (which
in the case of a Seagate drive may not be long, anyway).  Regardless,
is there anything I can do about it?  I thought that the power supply
I bought may be mismatched to the power requirements of the drive --
that it might be supplying too much or too little power to the drive
unit.  Could this be a likely explanation for the heat problem?

			--M
--
__
\/  Michael Portuesi	Silicon Graphics Computer Systems, Inc.

"The best length for television programs is either 30 seconds or 8
hours." David Byrne

In <PORTUESI.89Sep21111800@tweezers.esd.sgi.com>, portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>I know that running a drive hot is very bad for its life cycle (which
>in the case of a Seagate drive may not be long, anyway).  Regardless,
>is there anything I can do about it?  I thought that the power supply
>I bought may be mismatched to the power requirements of the drive --
>that it might be supplying too much or too little power to the drive
>unit.  Could this be a likely explanation for the heat problem?

While it is always difficult to judge the amount of heat from a description,
yours does sound like it might be running a little too hot. The only real
solution is to get a lot of airflow over the drive itself. If it still runs too
hot in open air, get yourself a fan and point it at the drive. If there is
space within the enclosure, you could mount it in there.  One good thing about
it is that you can't make it run too cool.

-larry

--
The Mac? Oh, that's just like a computer, only slower.