[comp.sys.amiga] Bar,pie and outher charts for the Amiga.

ntm1477@dsacg4.UUCP (Jared McNeal) (09/13/89)

              I need a program that can produce bar, pie
  and other charts by reading input files.  The input files
  contain numbers that determine the height of a bar(in a bar chart)
  etc..

		       Thank you
		       Jared A McNeal

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (09/15/89)

ntm1477@dsacg4.UUCP (Jared McNeal) writes:

>              I need a program that can produce bar, pie
>  and other charts by reading input files.  The input files
>  contain numbers that determine the height of a bar(in a bar chart)
>  etc..

One option is to pull the numbers into a spreadsheet.  Superplan
will let you pull in lists of numbers (with some restrictions on
format, but if you have ascii-represented decimal numbers, you
should be OK).  It can generate plots in HP-GL for plotters, or in
full printer resolution (i.e., better than screen resolution) for
dot-matrix printers.  It offers pretty good capabilities for labeling
the plots like _you_ want (not just some default choices); several
vector-stroked fonts are available for plotter files.

So far I've been pretty happy with my copy of Superplan.  It does what
it claims it will pretty well, and hasn't guru'd on me.  My biggest
complaint is its user interface hasn't been fully amiga-ized, but it is
usable (and for the most common functions it's just fine).  Usual "just
a satisfied customer" disclaimer.

>		       Thank you
>		       Jared A McNeal
>----------

Hope this helps...

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (09/21/89)

In article <5160053@hplsla.HP.COM>, tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:
> ntm1477@dsacg4.UUCP (Jared McNeal) writes:
>
> >              I need a program that can produce bar, pie
> >  and other charts by reading input files.
>
> One option is to pull the numbers into a spreadsheet.  Superplan
> will let you pull in lists of numbers (with some restrictions on
> format, but if you have ascii-represented decimal numbers, you
> should be OK).  It can generate plots in HP-GL for plotters,

If you follow this route, then you should get a copy oPLT: which
turns your (preferences driver) dot matrix printer into a
HP plotter.  The output is VERY NICE.

Mail a request to jvmiller@rdrc.rpi.edu for PLT:.

And, commercial developers out there, the way is open for a decent
stat/graphics package for the Amiga.  I just paid over $500 for
my copy of Systat for the Mac.  A colleague just paid approx.
$700 for the MS-DOS version.  And this is basically for a line
editor interface (use filename <cr>).

Ken

--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.[bitnet || UUCP]
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

jea@merlin.cvs.rochester.edu (Joanne Albano) (09/21/89)

Is there any commercial or PD program out there to do
data analysis and presentation? I'm thinking of something
like MATHEMATICA. I guess MATHEMATICA is not going to be
ported to the AMIGA. Pity.

 Joanne Albano, Center for Visual Science     (716) 275-3055
 Room 256 Meliora Hall, Univ. of Rochester, Rochester NY 14627
 UUCP: {rutgers,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-cvsvax!jea
 INTERNET: jea@snipe.cvs.rochester.edu