[comp.sys.amiga] Crazy AmigaOS idea

johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) (09/19/89)

Here's my obligatory 'nutty idea' for future Amiga OS enhancement.  I guess
this is really a user-interface issue.

How about a new system screen (or maybe just a workbench window) called
DEVICES.  It would have a graphic representation of existing hardware/
software devices.  It would allow connecting devices to perform an action
driven by the mouse.
Each device is represented by an icon.  Icons may be connected by arrows
idicating information flow.  Example:

+--------+     +--------+     +--------+
|        |     |        |     |        |
|  ARC:  |---->| XMODEM |---->|  SER:  |
|        |     |        |     |        |
+--------+     +--------+     +--------+
+--------+     +--------+
|        |     |        |
|  ZOO:  |     | KERMIT |
|        |     |        |
+--------+     +--------+
               +--------+
               |        |
               | YMODEM |
               |        |
               +--------+

+--------+     +--------+
|        |     |        |
| NROFF: |---->| PRT:   |
|        |     |        |
+--------+     +--------+

In this example, the user has used the mouse to connect the ARC: device to
the XMODEM: device, and in turn to the SER: device.  When the user wants to
send a arcced file over the modem  using xmodem he drops the icon for the
file onto the ARC: icon.  This causes arc to compress the file, sending the
output to xmodem, which ships it out the serial port!  Neat!  Fully mouse
driven!

To skip the ARC: step, just drop the icon into the XMODEM: icon.  Note that
YMODEM: and KERMIT: are also available if the user wishes to "connect" a
different  compression scheme into the picture.

Similarly, below, the NROFF: device connects to the PRT:.  Just drop you
nroff file into the NROFF icon, and it gets formatted and sent out.

Well, that's my idea.  I like it - if you like it/hate it/don't care, feel
free to email me.  My mailbox is asbestos, the net is not.
John Lindwall                            johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
           "Above opinions are my own, not my employer's"
   Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (09/19/89)

In article <511@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
>Here's my obligatory 'nutty idea' for future Amiga OS enhancement.  I guess
>this is really a user-interface issue.
>
>How about a new system screen (or maybe just a workbench window) called
>DEVICES.  It would have a graphic representation of existing hardware/
>software devices.  It would allow connecting devices to perform an action
>driven by the mouse.
>Each device is represented by an icon.  Icons may be connected by arrows
>indicating information flow.

I had thought of something similar, but with the following additions, which
might require a modification to the DOS.  I was thinking that it would be
useful if you could:

  1) Grab a couple of files to transfer to another system.
  2) Drop them on the modem icon (or xmodem icon, or whatever).
  3) Double-click on the icon to open it as a window.
  4) Watch the icons (or file names) disappear as the files are transferred.

Also, it would be nice if the modem device could be connected by the user to
a specific communications program.  Being able to drop an file icon on the
modem window and have the system call up, for example, ATalk III to transfer
the file.

Or even better, to be able to set up a device that, when a file is dropped on
it, loads up a particular terminal program, calls up a particular machine, and
transfers the file over to be printed out on the system's printer.  Of course,
this would require the user to do some script-writing, but it could be very
elegant once done.

Also, I was thinking that these devices could be included on the workbench
screen, just like the disk devices.  Since workbench is a window now (according
to what I've heard about 1.4), maybe these should be in a seperate window.

So, how about it, Commodore?  Adding such devices would also make the Amiga
even more un-mac-like, which would help you in any lawsuits that their lawyers
may be thinking about.

--
"We may have come over here in different ships,
 but we're all in the same boat now."   --   Jesse Jackson

Rodney Ricks,   Atlanta University Center Computation Center

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (09/21/89)

In article <32278@auc.UUCP> rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) writes:
>In article <511@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
>>Here's my obligatory 'nutty idea' for future Amiga OS enhancement.  I guess
>>this is really a user-interface issue.
> [More cool stuff about interfacing.]

Correct -- wait for JazzBench 1.0 or Workbench 1.4.

Even better -- somebody pay me to work on Jazz 1.0, and the work'll go
faster.  :-)  :-)

Seriously, you'll be able to write programs to do that for Jazz 1.0, I'll
let Commodore tell you the neat-nifty stuff that WB 1.4 can do.

David Navas
navas@cory.Berkeley.Edu  (I've finally got a real mailing address !!!)

bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (09/21/89)

In article <511@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (John Lindwall) writes:
>Here's my obligatory 'nutty idea' for future Amiga OS enhancement.  I guess
>this is really a user-interface issue.

Very much so.  Actually, the idea is not that nutty.  It has even been
invented on another system ( SGI IRIS ) with a slightly different flavour and
a different aim.  If you want a reference, check out

	SIGGRAPH '88 Conference Proceedings.
	"ConMan:  A visual programming language for interactive graphics"

There are other such systems in use for a variety of applications ( email
me if you are interested ).

Anyway, on to your ideas ...

>How about a new system screen (or maybe just a workbench window) called
>DEVICES.  It would have a graphic representation of existing hardware/
>software devices.  It would allow connecting devices to perform an action
>driven by the mouse.

I am not enthused with the idea of using the device metaphore for this idea
to the extent that you do.  Having the devices available for use would
be good, but I'm not sure making all these programs ( like zoo and arc ) into
devices is to hot a concept.  Why not try to do something like add AREXX ports
to the existing programs and comunicate using them.  That gives a good solid
basis to go from.

 [ description of the visual display of programs and data flow ]

>Well, that's my idea.  I like it - if you like it/hate it/don't care, feel
>free to email me.  My mailbox is asbestos, the net is not.

I like it, but lets cool down on going device crazy!  It would be possible
to do this with AREXX and some other tools and thus be able to add new
programs to the system without rewriting them.

Anyway, those are my brief thoughts.

  Blair
--
= Blair MacIntyre, bmacintyre@watcgl.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}          // =
=   now appearing at the Computer Graphics Lab, U of Waterloo!           \X/  =

wilts@cavax.ab.ca (Ed Wilts) (09/22/89)

writes:

>  1) Grab a couple of files to transfer to another system.
>  2) Drop them on the modem icon (or xmodem icon, or whatever).
>  3) Double-click on the icon to open it as a window.
>  4) Watch the icons (or file names) disappear as the files are transferred.
>
>Also, it would be nice if the modem device could be connected by the user to
>a specific communications program.  Being able to drop an file icon on the
>modem window and have the system call up, for example, ATalk III to transfer
>the file.
.
.
                                                                   Of course,
>this would require the user to do some script-writing, but it could be very
>elegant once done.

You can simply add an icon for an ARexx script under 1.4 (or currently if you
want to purchase ARexx) and write the script to do exactly that. You are
prepared to write the script so there doesn't seem to be a problem. If you want
to do it today, you could purchase ARexx and use the VLT program from the Fish
disks and you can do it for even less money.  Of course, Marco would rather you
buy Atalk III  :-)

I believe that even though ARexx will be bundled with the 1.4 release, it is
still a good buy today since you will get a good manual and can start using it
immediately.  There are example scripts on the disk to help you get started and
ConMan 1.3.2 is there as a bonus.  The public domain rexxarplibrary and
rexxmathlibrary bindings are there as well.  Things like rx 'say GetFile()' are
rather short to pop up the ARP file requester and output the name of the
selected file.

        .../Ed          (Wilts%CaVax.AB.CA@UncaNet.Bitnet)
Ed Wilts                        (403) 234-1007
Sr. Systems Analyst, Canadian Occidental Petroleum Ltd.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada