[comp.sys.amiga] RF Modulators

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) (09/14/89)

	I've read a reasonable amount about the various Genlocks for
the Amiga. It looks like one needs to spend at least $500 to get a
decent output. (From Amigo Times article). Now, I DO NOT NEED to sync
external video output to computer graphics. At least, not yet. All
I want to do is to record my TS 3.0 and other animations to a VCR.
So, what I need, but have not seen, is a comprehensive list of the
RF Modulators available for the Amiga. I know Commodore has one, and I
have used the one put out by CMI. I would like to see the output
quality examined and each model compared with the others. Has anyone
seen an article like this? From the price of the low-end RF versus the
price of a low end Genlock, I would expect that one should be able to
find a "broadcast quality" (or as close as the Amiga and the peripherals
can get) RF Modulator for less than $300.

	Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott Sutherland
sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (09/15/89)

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) writes:

> All
>I want to do is to record my TS 3.0 and other animations to a VCR.
>So, what I need, but have not seen, is a comprehensive list of the
>RF Modulators available for the Amiga. I know Commodore has one, and I
>

>	Any comments would be appreciated.

Excuse me if I'm missing something, but all VCR's I know of will take
NTSC video input ("composit video").  Why do you want to go to RF and
take the ding in quality letting the VCR convert that back to video?
Seems like it's a lot cheaper to just take the composit video out of
the Amiga and pipe it to a VCR...  and probably better quality than
going to RF in between.

beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) (09/18/89)

In article <5160054@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:

>Excuse me if I'm missing something, but all VCR's I know of will take
>NTSC video input ("composit video").  Why do you want to go to RF and
>take the ding in quality letting the VCR convert that back to video?
>Seems like it's a lot cheaper to just take the composit video out of
>the Amiga and pipe it to a VCR...  and probably better quality than
>going to RF in between.

You can connect the A???? that way, bu you will get a Black&White picture
on you screen. The Amiga send out only black and white information on
the composit_video output (unfortunately). I don't know about the
modulators, but i think these will output color.
(This applies to PAL Amigas. I don't know about NTSC Amigas, but i
suspect this will be the same)

--
  ___   ___                    ________________________________
 /   \ /   \                  /                                \
   |    \         +------------------------------+
   |     \        |  Jan van Veen,               |
   | _____\       |  beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl     |
   |   |          |  Amsterdam, the Netherlands  |

hutch@fps.com (Jim Hutchison) (09/19/89)

In <1027@maestro.htsa.aha.nl> beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) writes:
>In <5160054@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:
>>Excuse me if I'm missing something, but all VCR's I know of will take
>>NTSC video input ("composit video").  Why do you want to go to RF and
>>take the ding in quality letting the VCR convert that back to video?
>>Seems like it's a lot cheaper to just take the composit video out of
>>the Amiga and pipe it to a VCR...  and probably better quality than
>>going to RF in between.

>You can connect the A???? that way, bu you will get a Black&White picture
>on you screen. The Amiga send out only black and white information on
>the composit_video output (unfortunately).

Actually you can hook up an A1000 and get color, atleast mine :-).  I'm
not real jolly about the shape of the sync, and the greens come out
pretty weak.  Note that you get in even a worse spot if you accidently
try to use non-interlace, real play back problems.  I'm much happier
with the output of my mimetics genlock.  Much sharper green, and I can
get the sync from elsewhere.  Problem is, I can't always borrow
somebody elses VCR for a sync generator.  Does anyone know where I can
get a cheap, but healthy, sync generator?  Heck, hardware doesn't scare
me, anyone with a good schematic?  I'll probably have to ground &
shield it to get a nice clean signal, but I'm willing to go the
distance.

/*    Jim Hutchison   		{dcdwest,ucbvax}!ucsd!celerity!hutch  */
/*    Disclaimer:  I am not an official spokesman for FPS computing   */

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (09/20/89)

From article <1027@maestro.htsa.aha.nl>, by beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO):
> In article <5160054@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:
>>
>>Excuse me if I'm missing something, but all VCR's I know of will take
>>NTSC video input ("composit video").  Why do you want to go to RF and
>>take the ding in quality letting the VCR convert that back to video?
>>Seems like it's a lot cheaper to just take the composit video out of
>>the Amiga and pipe it to a VCR...  and probably better quality than
>>going to RF in between.
>
> You can connect the A???? that way, bu you will get a Black&White picture
> on you screen. The Amiga send out only black and white information on
> the composit_video output (unfortunately). I don't know about the
> modulators, but i think these will output color.
> (This applies to PAL Amigas. I don't know about NTSC Amigas, but i
> suspect this will be the same)

     The A1000 puts out composite video in color.  If you have a later
model you can buy a device that will give you composite video in color.
It's probably more expensive than an RF modulator but I'm sure the quality
will be much better.  If you're going into a VCR you should definitely look
into it.  If you have an A1000 all you need is a length of coaxial cable
with an RCA male plug on each end.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

DHowell.ESCP8@xerox.com (09/22/89)

I'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed on the net before, but I missed
it, so flame me if you must:  Why did Commodore remove the color from the
direct video output on the 500 & 2000?

Dan Howell  <dhowell.escp8@xerox.com>

perley@caesar (Donald P Perley) (09/23/89)

In article <24645@louie.udel.EDU>, DHowell.ESCP8@xerox writes:

>Why did Commodore remove the color from the
>direct video output on the 500 & 2000?

Aside from any expense consideration, a b/w signal can be as sharp as
the rgb format, but a color composite signal can't. So if you don't want
color you can buy a cheap monochrome monitor and still use 80 character
lines, which would be fuzzy if viewed in color on a normal tv.

On the other hand, if they had kept the color video out (per the 1000),
you could use a monochrome monitor at "full sharpness" by making an
adapter plug for the rgb port which would just take the green signal
(I'm pretty sure the green has sync on it) and set your preferences
with that in mind.

-don perley

perley@trub.crd.ge.com

mark@xrtll.UUCP (Mark Vange) (09/23/89)

In article <1027@maestro.htsa.aha.nl>, beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) writes:
> You can connect the A???? that way, bu you will get a Black&White picture
> on you screen. The Amiga send out only black and white information on
> the composit_video output (unfortunately).

That way being directly out of the composite into a VCR.

The Amiga 1000's all output color information over their composite outputs
and therefore work quite well without an RF Modulator.  However, 500's and
2000's only put out B&W images.  In fact, certain 2000's I've seen don't
have a composite output at all (some European models!)

--
Mark Vange				Phone Death Threats to:
PAS Systems - "Plain and Simple"	(416) 730-1352  mark@xrtll